Net Points, etc - Pittsburgh I | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, etc - Pittsburgh I

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Tyler Roberson 19 in 36 minutes
John Gillon 19 in 40 minutes
Andrew White 17 in 40 minutes
Tyus Battle 16 in 40 minutes
Tyler Lydon 14 in 34 minutes
Taurean Thompson -1 in 10 minutes

DaJuan Coleman DNP- coach’s decision
Franklin Howard DNP- coach’s decision

Paschal Chukwu injured

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)
John Gillon 31

Scoring Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)
Andrew White 13

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)
1st Half- Taurean Thompson with a jumper 17:08
2nd Half- Tyus Battle with a jumper at 19:02

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)
Tyler Roberson with a dunk with 5:51 left.

My Man
(Who played the most minutes?)
Tyus Battle and Andrew White 40 minutes each

Team Stats:

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)
We rebounded 7 of our 27 misses = 25.9%
They rebounded 17 of their 39 misses = 43.6%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)
We got 10 points on 7 O-Rebs = 1.43 points
They got 15 points on 17 O-Rebs = 0.88 points

Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)
We had 10 turnovers – 5 steals = 5 unforced
They had 12 turnovers – 7 steals = 5 unforced

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)
We had 15 points from 12 takeaways = 1.25 points
They had 12 points from 10 takeaways =1.20 points

Unsettled Situations
(Effective offensive rebounding + Points per Takeaway: [Second Chance Point + Points off Turnovers] divided by [Offensive Rebounds + Opposition Turnovers)
We had 25 points in 19 unsettled situations = 1.32
They had 27 points in 27 unsettled situations = 1.00

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)
We had 29 + 12 = 41
They had 37 + 10 = 47

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)
We were 14 for 27 on twos, (.519), 14 for 27 on threes (.519) and 7 for 8 on frees (.875)
They were 14 for 38 on twos, (.368), 6 for 19 on threes (.316) and 20 for23 on frees (.870)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points POTO= points off turnovers)
We had 18 PIP, 52 POP, 42 TREY, 10 TZ, 4 FBP, 15 POTO
They had 22 PIP, 24 POP, 18 TREY, 6 TZ, 10 FBP, 10 POTO

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made, courtesy of Pat. SCP is second chance points.)
We had 56 FCP and 10 SCP
They had 21 FCP and 15 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)
Our starters scored 73 points and our bench scored 4 points
Their starters scored 66 points and their bench scored 0 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)
We assisted 17 of our 28 field goals, 60.7%
They assisted 11 of their 20 field goals 55.0%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)
We scored 77 points in 61 possessions = 1.262 points/possession
They scored 66 points in 62 possessions = 1.065 points/ possession
It was a 123 possession game, tied with the Miami game as the second lowest of the season, (the Holy Cross game had 113 possessions)

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)
23-8, 19-13, 18-20, 17-25

Fouls

(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)
We attempted 27 two point shots, scored 18 points in the paint, attempted 8 free throws and were fouled 15 times = 1.80, 1.20, 0.53
They attempted 38 two point shots, scored 22 points in the paint, attempted 23 free throws and were fouled 14 times = 2.71, 1.57, 1.64

Comments:

- We’ve gotten 12 offensive rebounds in the last two games against 29 for the opposition.

- But we won the “unsettled situations” for the fourth game in a row, getting 29 points off of 7 offensive rebounds and 12 takeaways.

- We’ve shot a higher percentage from the line than the other team six games in a row. Our ACC free throw percentage is 81%.

- We got only 4 bench points but they got none- and they used four guys who played 28 minutes. We had one guy who played 10.

- We averaged 138 possessions per game in the pre-conference season but this was the second straight game that had only 123 possessions.

- We attempted only 8 free throws to Pitt’s 23. But it’s not because the refs were unwilling to call fouls on the Panthers. They were actually more likely to call a foul on Pittsburgh when we took a two point shot or scored in the paint that they were to call a foul on us when Pitt took those shots. But somehow, the fouls we drew were far less likely to put us on the line than the fouls Pitt drew were to put them on the line. They must have been fouling us away from the basket before we had the chance to shoot – or on the offensive end. We were fouling them after they got into the paint. The offensive rebounds had a lot to do with that.

I loled at "Taco Bell MVP". SWC, did you write all of that without the aid of anything? Cafffeine at least? I'm not sure where you get your inspiration from, but you're like the Gillon of this board. If you don't have some sort of sacrement you ingest, have you crafted computer software that gives you these things each game?

I loled at "Taco Bell MVP". SWC, did you write all of that without the aid of anything? Cafffeine at least? I'm not sure where you get your inspiration from, but you're like the Gillon of this board. If you don't have some sort of sacrement you ingest, have you crafted computer software that gives you these things each game?

My primary tool has been my printer, from which i print out a box score. Then I figure all that out with the arid of a calculator and pen, (sometimes when sitting on my throne), then type it all onto a Word document that already has all the verbiage, (and also on another where I kept track of season totals), and then post it for everyone's edification.

My primary tool has been my printer, from which i print out a box score. Then I figure all that out with the arid of a calculator and pen, (sometimes when sitting on my throne), then type it all onto a Word document that already has all the verbiage, (and also on another where I kept track of season totals), and then post it for everyone's edification.

This post makes it sound a lot more simple than the finish product looks! Either way, I am grateful for the work you put into it, and enjoy your verbiage as well as having all of the figures in an easily digestible format. Please keep up the good work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom