New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

Word.

Back to Brenden.

Why the delay in announcing this hire? Guessing it is probably the vetting process for all new hires.

Assuming all goes well there, maybe there will be an announcement Monday.

Regarding the high profile player that he is said to be bringing with him….the clues are

1) former TTO player
2) guard
3) comes from an outstanding program

Thinking the only players that meet these criteria are Moore and Roach. Still thinking Roach because I think he fits a bit better and I can find more links between Jeremy and Brenden than between Justin and Brendan.

Roach is a terrific defender and his in ball pressure wound really help us transition to a man to man defense. Would be great in a press too.
Wait wait wait a minute. You are not referring to Duke’s Roach, are you? Is there another Roach?

But Roach is one of Duke’s best players and is quite happy there.
Yeah, the Roach name makes little sense to me.

Oduro & Moore are also not in the portal.

I believe it's a name that has yet to be mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, the Roach name makes little sense to me.

Oduro & Moore are also not in the portal.

I believe it's a name that has yet to be mentioned in this thread.
john cena nickelodeon GIF by Kids Choice Sports 2017

I definitely agree that Benny looked like an entirely different player over the last four games but did he know at the time Red was taking over as coach? Not sure I have seen where he had that insight into the coaching change but it is possible it was known behind the curtain.
I think it was def known behind the curtain. No way Judah rips his jersey after a first round loss to WF and cries without knowing that

...and the 19-20 yr old players just bit their lip and mums the word.. LOL
I could be wrong but it just seems a bit odd he’d do that. I have no inside info here so I’ll defer to the people in the know

To the two posters who replied to my post… I have absolutely no idea what you’re inferring but I’m here for it. Hope we have some (good) news soon.

I read an article last night and Duke expects Roach to not be at Duke next year, along with Flip, Whitehead and Lively. They were not sure if he would announce to go pro or not. He’s pretty small for the NBA and lacks blazing quickness for his size.

Roach seems like maybe a slightly better version of Gillon to me. I would say Gillon was craftier in finishing but Roach overall is a slightly better player... he's had some really good games this past year. Not sure how much better he can get with not being all that fast for a smaller guard.

Roach seems like maybe a slightly better version of Gillon to me. I would say Gillon was craftier in finishing but Roach overall is a slightly better player... he's had some really good games this past year. Not sure how much better he can get with not being all that fast for a smaller guard.
The thing you are missing is that Roach is a really good defensive player. He can disrupt an offense almost by himself with his on ball pressure.

If we truly intend to play man defense next season, adding an above average man defender would help us a lot.

I agree with others that adding a solid forward or two, and a center (if Jesse is leaving) is a higher priority.

That said, if we are playing man and pressing all game long, I can’t see JG3 playing a lot of minutes. We have to add a third guard who can contribute immediately. Roach would be great from that perspective.

The thing you are missing is that Roach is a really good defensive player. He can disrupt an offense almost by himself with his on ball pressure.

If we truly intend to play man defense next season, adding an above average man defender would help us a lot.

I agree with others that adding a solid forward or two, and a center (if Jesse is leaving) is a higher priority.

That said, if we are playing man and pressing all game long, I can’t see JG3 playing a lot of minutes. We have to add a third guard who can contribute immediately. Roach would be great from that perspective.
Agreed and here's the thing with a player like Roach who is tenacious on d. He sets the attitude for the rest of the players in game to do the same. So all the guys bring their games up a notch. That in and of itself is big value for Red. Preferably you have one other out there that is aggressive on d but you need at least one guy like that.

To play Devils advocate on D- Duke was quite pedestrian defensively the previous two years with Roach. Also it was one game but he had a lot of trouble defending vs Tennessee yesterday. Again don't like to use a single game to equate vs multiple years. His metrics do look solid though. I don't think you get the most out of a player like that unless Judah returns though. Pairing a senior like Roach who still does have his limitations in a 3 guard set with Judah and JJ - now that's intriguing

I think it was def known behind the curtain. No way Judah rips his jersey after a first round loss to WF and cries without knowing that
I’m not following. The speculation was his shirt rip was because he knew it was his last game in orange. What does that have to do with coaching changes?

I’m not following. The speculation was his shirt rip was because he knew it was his last game in orange. What does that have to do with coaching changes?
The post I responded to was questioning if the players knew Red was taking over so it was JBs last game.

The post I responded to was questioning if the players knew Red was taking over so it was JBs last game.
That would make sense - except the players are looking at the coaching change in a positive light.

Didn't Benny ripped his shirt many games prior if ripping shirt = foreknowledge of coaching changes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom