New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed] | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Assistant: Brenden Straughn [Now confirmed]

It was a simple question. I never said it wasn’t a good hire. I was more surprised he never had any head coaching experience. That is not the USUAL career ladder.

Bottom line, it’s easier to coach talent than non talent. So getting the talent is priority number 1. To my point that as long as he recruits the heck out of DMV and Philly I don’t care about anything else. Which I also mentioned in my post, which was ignored.

Priority number 2 is coaching the talent. And I may be mistaken but we now have 4 coaches, and I don’t believe any of them have ever been a head coach before. Think that is a little startling. That was one of the reasons I was not too keen on keeping both assistants. We need a stud recruiter and a previous experienced bench coach that red can throw ideas off. Yes he coached beside Jim. But on game days he didn’t appear to have much of a roll like all the other coaches. Sometimes you need guys that have been there and done that to remind you of things you don’t think of as the game is progressing.
I think the guy I wanted to have Head coaching experience was the guy we picked for the top job. A journeyman ass't doesn't really matter to me. Red is going to make mistakes next year that he probably won't be making in year 3. But a ass't that has head coaching experience was not anywhere near the top of my list as a ass't coach. I get your opinion. Just not that important to me. I wanted a recruiting stud. Another Weaver or Murphy.

0A6CD28F-45AA-4F2F-828A-0289055EF104.jpeg

I think the guy I wanted to have Head coaching experience was the guy we picked for the top job. A journeyman ass't doesn't really matter to me. Red is going to make mistakes next year that he probably won't be making in year 3. But a ass't that has head coaching experience was not anywhere near the top of my list as a ass't coach. I get your opinion. Just not that important to me. I wanted a recruiting stud. Another Weaver or Murphy.
His background is very similar to Troy Weaver's. Let's hope the results are similar.

It was a simple question. I never said it wasn’t a good hire. I was more surprised he never had any head coaching experience. That is not the USUAL career ladder.

Bottom line, it’s easier to coach talent than non talent. So getting the talent is priority number 1. To my point that as long as he recruits the heck out of DMV and Philly I don’t care about anything else. Which I also mentioned in my post, which was ignored.

Priority number 2 is coaching the talent. And I may be mistaken but we now have 4 coaches, and I don’t believe any of them have ever been a head coach before. Think that is a little startling. That was one of the reasons I was not too keen on keeping both assistants. We need a stud recruiter and a previous experienced bench coach that red can throw ideas off. Yes he coached beside Jim. But on game days he didn’t appear to have much of a roll like all the other coaches. Sometimes you need guys that have been there and done that to remind you of things you don’t think of as the game is progressing.
I believe there's new rules where two more coaches can be added to the staff, but they don't recruit. So if Red feels he needs a veteran coach or two, they can be added.

Any chance we get back in to it with Derik Queen?

Are any guys we would want in the portal linked to Straughn? He might be a strategic choice, but getting one really good player could make this hire tactical as well. For both sides.

I could see a player saying "I'd love to play for you, coach Straughn, but I need to go to a big time school."

Bam! Coaches Straughn and Autry from Big Time School come knocking a week later.

James Bishop was GW’s best player and from Baltimore? Originally committed to LSU. Not sure if he was a Team Takeover kid though

This would have to help keeping Benny around, right?
...and Taylor, I guess too

Is that really true about the career path though? I would think there would be a lot of people in a grad assistant to assistant pathway like McNamara. Jon Scheyer, Hubert Davis and Greg Paulus seem to have gone this route as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom