**New Commit: 4 Star PF Tyler Lydon** | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

**New Commit: 4 Star PF Tyler Lydon**

Didn't look very hard to see if this was already posted but I only saw the one featuring his shooting. This video shows the type of athlete that he is.

Ya we'll be lucky to keep this kid for 2 years

quote="iommi, post: 778992, member: 249"]I've got a good comparison... And since we're all comparing him to white dudes... Detlef Schrempf.[/quote]
Loved Det with the Sonics! Payton, Kemp, McMillan... Great teams!

I had compared him to Chandler Parsons on the recruiting board, but I like Jake's comparison to Van Horn. You can see the difference in the two videos. Going to prep school has really helped him. He is getting stronger, and it looks like he may have grown a couple of inches. If he continues to grow and add strength, this kid is going to be lights out.

He's got great shooting form, albeit a little bit low, but gets the shot of pretty quickly. I like the Southerland comparison, except he seems to be able to do some of the things that James struggled with. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of dribbling in those clips.

Locking them in this early is freak'n brilliant!! Hat's off to the entire recruiting team .. this guy looks amazing!

Didn't look very hard to see if this was already posted but I only saw the one featuring his shooting. This video shows the type of athlete that he is.

I see some Christian Laettner in his game. Can shoot from the outside, score inside, pass and rebound. If he fills out, he is going to be really special.

And now for a bit of a wet blanket ... At the outset, let me make clear that I only got to see Tyler play in person one time - in the Class C NYC basketball championship at the Glens Falls Civic Center against a team I help coach, so take these observations with a grain of salt. In that game, playing against a zone with much smaller players, he was content to stand out at the arc and launch up 3-pointers. He missed the vast majority of them, and I believe he didn't even crack double digits (although I could be off a bit on that). I saw in here someone comparing his shot to Southerland's. I'm not seeing it - much flatter, a much lower release, and not nearly the consistency (and we know how streaky James could be!) He showed no handle but did rebound well - as he should have, since our tallest player was maybe 6-2. All in all, he was just a very passive 6-8 guy. At game's end, he and his teammates - whose smallest starter was 6-4 - lost by 10 to our club. Afterward, even though he was only a sophomore, myself and the other coaches came away thinking, "Well, he's decent, but he's got a lot to improve on." That being said, I have seen the highlights of his AAU summer activity, and he has clearly improved. But I always question 'highlight reels,' especially in the AAU realm where defense is often an afterthought. It is my hope that with improved competition this season, his game will continue to grow. Obviously, D-I coaches believe he has a high 'ceiling' (I do hate that word), and I don't pretend to be any where near as knowledgeable as D-I coaches. However, I can't help wonder if he will wind up being a Matt Gorman type. (But at 180 pounds, obviously without the heftiness of Gorman's game.) In other words, will he only be a 4-year guy who plays some from time to time and has a GPA that's good for the program? Not - in the words of an immortal Seinfeld episode - that there's anything wrong with that! So, FWIW, that's my take on our new recruit.

And now for a bit of a wet blanket ... At the outset, let me make clear that I only got to see Tyler play in person one time - in the Class C NYC basketball championship at the Glens Falls Civic Center against a team I help coach, so take these observations with a grain of salt. In that game, playing against a zone with much smaller players, he was content to stand out at the arc and launch up 3-pointers. He missed the vast majority of them, and I believe he didn't even crack double digits (although I could be off a bit on that). I saw in here someone comparing his shot to Southerland's. I'm not seeing it - much flatter, a much lower release, and not nearly the consistency (and we know how streaky James could be!) He showed no handle but did rebound well - as he should have, since our tallest player was maybe 6-2. All in all, he was just a very passive 6-8 guy. At game's end, he and his teammates - whose smallest starter was 6-4 - lost by 10 to our club. Afterward, even though he was only a sophomore, myself and the other coaches came away thinking, "Well, he's decent, but he's got a lot to improve on." That being said, I have seen the highlights of his AAU summer activity, and he has clearly improved. But I always question 'highlight reels,' especially in the AAU realm where defense is often an afterthought. It is my hope that with improved competition this season, his game will continue to grow. Obviously, D-I coaches believe he has a high 'ceiling' (I do hate that word), and I don't pretend to be any where near as knowledgeable as D-I coaches. However, I can't help wonder if he will wind up being a Matt Gorman type. (But at 180 pounds, obviously without the heftiness of Gorman's game.) In other words, will he only be a 4-year guy who plays some from time to time and has a GPA that's good for the program? Not - in the words of an immortal Seinfeld episode - that there's anything wrong with that! So, FWIW, that's my take on our new recruit.

Thanks. First hand accounts are always the best. Lets hope he just had a bad game against you.

This kid has great potential and is a nice get; however, I too want to take a "wait and see" approach before I wet my pants. If he can't master the intricacies of the zone D then his playing time will be severly limited no matter what his offensive skills are.

I don't know that I see the athleticism that some others are seeing. With all of the cool looking dunks, he doesn't really seem to jump all that high. I also didn't really see anything that showed whether he has any agility or lateral movement. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, just that nothing in the video shows it, one way or the other. I don't think he's a slug, he's just not super athletic. His shooting stroke looks nice and he had some nice passes. It'll be interesting to see how he develops the next couple of seasons, before getting here. He looks like a nice get.

You're not invited to my birthday party.