Class of 2020 - New Commit: Owen Hiltz (IN: Culver) Attack / Flip from Denver | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Commit: Owen Hiltz (IN: Culver) Attack / Flip from Denver

I rarely hear you gush over a player like this, Is Hiltz that good? Like starting on attack good?

In a word "yes". When people starting tossing around comparisons to Mikey Powell, that's when you know you've got something really good. I am not sure he is on that "level" ( or at least not yet) because Mike was a generational type guy but he has all the intangibles and skill to be that guy. He's by far the best attack recruit I have watched and heard about since probably Mike or at the very least Cody Jameison when he was tearing things up at OCC and in the box leagues and people were losing ther minds when he Sid Smith and Kent Squires-Hill committed to SU.

That said Cody was a totally different player, Hiltz's ceiling is Casey/Mike Powell/Gait Brothers level. Again that is his ceiling, not say he will be able to reach that elite level status (he has a hell of a way to go) but he has that kind of potential.

I rarely hear you gush over a player like this, Is Hiltz that good? Like starting on attack good?
As a scoring threat I believe Hiltz could be a day 1 starter. (Although no one rides like Cook) I would compare him to Ryder Garnsey. He is explosive, not afraid to take a hit, quick find open spots and is almost completely one handed. His ability to get to back to his left hand is amazing and can quickly create his own shot.

I believe so yes, Hiltz will likely be starting at attack come game 1.
Cook could of course slip back into the starting lineup next year after rehfuss leaves. And since he is a righty he could sub in for Scanlan along with Rehfuss if either are underperforming. The issue for him is with Rehfuss and Hiltz on the field you probably want an offball wizard as the third attack and it is a tall order to out-offball Scanlan.

One potential issue going forward will be balancing who is initiating the dodging with Rehfuss and Hiltz vs the first middie line. As good as Hiltz is it will always be tempting to initiate with either Trimboli, Curry, or Dordevic against a shorty. Good problem to have to be sure.

In a word "yes". When people starting tossing around comparisons to Mikey Powell, that's when you know you've got something really good. I am not sure he is on that "level" ( or at least not yet) because Mike was a generational type guy but he has all the intangibles and skill to be that guy. He's by far the best attack recruit I have watched and heard about since probably Mike or at the very least Cody Jameison when he was tearing things up at OCC and in the box leagues and people were losing ther minds when he Sid Smith and Kent Squires-Hill committed to SU.

That said Cody was a totally different player, Hiltz's ceiling is Casey/Mike Powell/Gait Brothers level. Again that is his ceiling, not say he will be able to reach that elite level status (he has a hell of a way to go) but he has that kind of potential.

This is really exciting to hear. It is a tall order for a rookie to come in and start from day one, but to beat out a returning starter is really impressive. I feel like Cook will still see time, they could rotate Cook, Rhefuss and Hiltz and try and make them all happy.

I've hard a hard time evaluating Hiltz since he doesn't have a lot of highlights up. I've always thought of him as being an Ethan Walker type, very good shooter but isn't known to dodge a lot. From reading the comments it sounds like Hiltz is actually a good dodger. Jeremy - when you compare him to Mike Powell, I assume you mean just general excellence and not playing style?

I know this offense will still be midfield dominant, but they still need help and having an extra option in the attack will really help - just look at the Army game when all three starting attackmen were held scoreless. Teams will adjust to the midfield, bumping up another pole, or just having a very good short stick unit (think the playoff loss to Towson) - its imperative that SU remain balanced in the attack so defenses have nowhere to turn.

This is really exciting to hear. It is a tall order for a rookie to come in and start from day one, but to beat out a returning starter is really impressive. I feel like Cook will still see time, they could rotate Cook, Rhefuss and Hiltz and try and make them all happy.

I've hard a hard time evaluating Hiltz since he doesn't have a lot of highlights up. I've always thought of him as being an Ethan Walker type, very good shooter but isn't known to dodge a lot. From reading the comments it sounds like Hiltz is actually a good dodger. Jeremy - when you compare him to Mike Powell, I assume you mean just general excellence and not playing style?

I know this offense will still be midfield dominant, but they still need help and having an extra option in the attack will really help - just look at the Army game when all three starting attackmen were held scoreless. Teams will adjust to the midfield, bumping up another pole, or just having a very good short stick unit (think the playoff loss to Towson) - its imperative that SU remain balanced in the attack so defenses have nowhere to turn.
In the few videos of his play at Culver, I saw a sharp shooter with fast hands and good feet, but not a Powell or Sowers type dodger. He also played with very good passers who looked for him, because he finished well. SU has a very good marksman at attack. I'd like to see more before I coronate the kid.

In the few videos of his play at Culver, I saw a sharp shooter with fast hands and good feet, but not a Powell or Sowers type dodger. He also played with very good passers who looked for him, because he finished well. SU has a very good marksman at attack. I'd like to see more before I coronate the kid.
I agree with Sholo here. I think a best case scenario is probably Ethan Walker at his best at Denver, which was really good. If Hiltz can be better than that (by that I mean a more well-rounded game including dodging and passing), then that's fantastic.

I agree with Sholo here. I think a best case scenario is probably Ethan Walker at his best at Denver, which was really good. If Hiltz can be better than that (by that I mean a more well-rounded game including dodging and passing), then that's fantastic.

I think the "best case scenario" is a good deal higher than that. Hiltz has a degree of athleticism, control, and burst as a dodger, along with vision and quarterbacking ability, that has a good chance of outpacing Walkers abilities when fully realized in college. You should check out some of the plays he makes in these games (in 10th grade mind you). As the Culver coach said, a guy who has truly seen them all, he "shoots like walker but dodges like Currier." Not to mention the additional praise he gave him in the article as a guy with potential to even outdo Currier as the best to come out of their school from Canada. I think his ceiling is closer to a Chris Gray/Jeff Teat type figure.

But I will concede that I don't think he will be an ankle breaker type of player like Mike Powell or Sowers. But you never know.

I think the "best case scenario" is a good deal higher than that. Hiltz has a degree of athleticism, control, and burst as a dodger, along with vision and quarterbacking ability, that has a good chance of outpacing Walkers abilities when fully realized in college. You should check out some of the plays he makes in these games (in 10th grade mind you). As the Culver coach said, a guy who has truly seen them all, he "shoots like walker but dodges like Currier." Not to mention the additional praise he gave him in the article as a guy with potential to even outdo Currier as the best to come out of their school from Canada. I think his ceiling is closer to a Chris Gray/Jeff Teat type figure.

But I will concede that I don't think he will be an ankle breaker type of player like Mike Powell or Sowers. But you never know.

Thanks! I was just going to post that I haven't seen much video and would appreciate any links.

Thanks! I was just going to post that I haven't seen much video and would appreciate any links.
Of course! Wish there was some more current stuff but this is definitely quality

According to Carcaterra, the reason you don't see many highlight videos of Hiltz is because the kid is incredible humble, and doesn't buy into self promotion. Doesn't mean he'll be a superstar because of this, but at the same time it is kind of refreshing. I feel like for a myriad of reasons, he's coming in kind of under the radar for a player ranked number 2 in his class (reasons being: 5th year seniors coming back, the general hype of Brennan O'Neil, him not coming in with #22, the lack of highlights, no showcase like UAA games). I think after the Jordan Evans experience, all this will be good for Hiltz.

After re-watching some highlights (though not the full game video Lexus posted yet), I have to say he does seem like a much more well rounded player and we are misguided if he's going to be Ethan Walker part deux. Walker is a scorer first and foremost, whereas Hiltz looks more well rounded - in his last high school season he had more assists than goals, and some of the passes he makes are certainly next level. He also might not break ankles like Mike Powell (not many do), but he can certainly dodge (I like the comparison to Garnsey, he certainly holds his stick in a very similar way, dangling it far away from his body while he leans into his defenseman - though unlike Garnsey, there is not a lot of wasted movement when he attacks the goal).

Lastly, it looks like Culver played some games in early 2020 and Hiltz did upload his Hudl profile with some highlights. Its not much, but something.

I like this guy's work.

Having said that, are Rehfuss and Cook considered good dodgers at this point? They were completely stifled by Army and while I know they attack from different positions and against different defenders, neither have the speed or shake that the first line midfielders have demonstrated. I know Mikey Powell and Sowers are the pinnacle of dodgers, but there seems to be a vast gulf between them and Rehfuss and Cook. Again, this coming from a lacrosse novice.

I like this guy's work.

Having said that, are Rehfuss and Cook considered good dodgers at this point? They were completely stifled by Army and while I know they attack from different positions and against different defenders, neither have the speed or shake that the first line midfielders have demonstrated. I know Mikey Powell and Sowers are the pinnacle of dodgers, but there seems to be a vast gulf between them and Rehfuss and Cook. Again, this coming from a lacrosse novice.

There is a vast gulf between Powell and Sowers and the majority of D1 attackmen from a dodging standpoint. Using those two as a reference point isn't good idea unless your trying to review another them versus another elite level attackmen ie Sowers vs Spencer something of that nature.

Rehfuss is a good but not great dodger. He struggles against elite and upper level defenders. He absolutely eats up short stick defenders and 3rd long poles and can do damage against zones. Hopkins tried to double poll the midfield and seemed ready to triple poll at one point. Rehfuss had 9 assistants or something stupid like that. He can't be covered by a shorty.

Cook's lack of dodging to date has been a disappointment if I am being honest. I am a big Cook fan and while his overall play has been good including riding and other intangibles his offensive game at this level is still very much a work in progress. SU playing him at middie his frosh year was a mistake and I believe set him back. He just hasn't looked comfortable in most games but I don't want to get to crazy off of 5 games this past season when he's clearly deferring to the best midfield in the country and hasn't had the ball in his stick much.

I am interested to see how Cook looks this coming season or next with an above average dodger, especially if Hiltz is that guy.

Best dodgers on team remain Curry off pure speed and Dordevic off strength and pivots . Forget fcomparisons to freakish Sowers or Powell . UVA Moore's speed or Krauss (now Cormier) bull approach come to mind when thinking if we lack opponent dodging capabilities . Suffice it to say, there are different ways to skin a cat and our dodging strengths remain up top.

Refhuss will initiate behind cage but his scores are primarily from moving away from cage than to it. His best work is from probing movement off left wing that influences D's and utilizes his vision. Hiltz also operates primarily from left wing and that youngster can rip off the slightest of space . He also has the knack of moving forward to space to release.. Both Refuss and Hiltz looked terrific in fall practices.

Cook is closest thing to dodger from X but see him as more of a opportunist around cage than someone who will impose himself, one who wont draw many doubles. Reasonable to expect further growth but no leap. Thinking futures, Ferris is a strong body who dodges fairly well, ditto Birtwhistle . This two will likely factor somewhere next year.

Expecting Hiltz's talents to see good time for a frosh whether it be at attack and/ or 2nd line and he will contribute . Will add second line is in good shape however comprised . Got Butter, Coach D mentioned Quinn, Seebold supposedly had strong fall and and Fiorini appeared much improved. Every offense needs ball, Varello's quick hands will be put to good use by new rule changes and frosh fogo Savage is very promising in addition to Phaup and Garlow.

Let's hope you're more astute than I was.

4 ACC teams listed. Maybe Hiltz helps put us in this convo by season end
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Positional Units Coming Into 2021: Attack
10 Dec 2020 by Tanner Demling

With the college lacrosse season just months away, Lacrosse Bucket is looking forward and examining some of the top positional units coming into the 2021 season.

Here is a look at some of the top attack units in college lacrosse:

Duke

The Duke Blue Devils might very well have the scariest offense that we’ve seen in college lacrosse for quite a while. And that lethality starts at the attack position. Dyson Williams (25G/5A) led the way as a freshman last season, while JP Basile (5G/14A) and Joey Manown (14G/4A), who returns for a fifth season, also had strong seasons as starters. Additionally, the Blue Devils added Princeton grad transfer Michael Sowers who is the Tewaaraton favorite and could be the best attackman the Blue Devils have had since Jordan Wolf. Joe Robertson will also be back after missing last season with a torn ACL and highly-touted freshman Brennan O’Neill could make some serious noise.

North Carolina

The arrival of Chris Gray via the transfer portal immediately took the Tar Heels’ offense to the next level last season. The leader of this revived offense, Gray led the nation with 48 points (27G/21A) during the 2020 season. Expect him to continue being one of the best attackmen in the nation in 2021. Alongside Gray, Nicky Soloman (13G/16A) and Brian Cameron (10G/5A) return as starters from last season. Alex Trippi (10G/7A), who served as the Tar Heels’ primary reserve attackman last season will also return and could see much-increased production and time this season.

Virginia

The Cavaliers lose 26 points off last year’s squad with the graduation of Michael Kraus. However, they still return leading-scorer Matt Moore (19G/16A) and Ian Laviano (11G/3A). Virginia also landed the services of Merrimack grad transfer Charlie Bertrand, who is expected to step right into that QB role. Payton Cormier (12G/7A) and highly-touted redshirt freshman Connor Shellenberger are both natural attackmen who will likely play midfield mostly this season but could see some time at attack if needed

Notre Dame

Griffin Westlin (6G/10A) and Pat Kavanagh (10G/6A) has very strong sophomore and freshman campaigns last season, and Wheaton Jackoboice (8G/3A) put up another solid season as a junior. This attack line only got better and deeper over the summer, as the Irish added two stud grad transfer attackman in Will York (Bucknell) and Sean Lahey (Providence).

Georgetown

Last season, the Hoyas’ starting attack line accounted for over 50% of their offensive production. And it doesn’t look like that will change in 2021. Jake Carraway (23G/11A) was handed the keys to this offense last season and flourished. Returning for a fifth season, expect another strong season from the Annapolis, Md., native. Dylan Watson (23G/2A) had a breakout season last year and could very well put up similar numbers in 2021. Colgate grad transfer Nicky Petkevich is a huge addition to this offense and is expected to tear it up this season just as he did the past four seasons in the Patriot League.

Denver

Last season, the Pioneers housed one of the best, young-ish, offenses in the Big East. And Ethan Walker (15G/10A), who is one of the best shooters in college lacrosse, was a big part of that offense once again. Denver also returns JJ Sillstrop (10G) at the attack spot after a stellar freshman season and adds Yale grad transfer, Jackson Morrill.

Penn State

Losing a generational-type player like Grant Ament is never easy. But this Penn State attack unit should still be as killer as ever without him. Mac O’Keefe (28G/8A) will be running the show this season, alongside TJ Malone (16G/7A). Dylan Foulds (12G/4A) and Jack Traynor (11G/2A) could see time at either attack or midfield again this season, and redshirt freshman Canyon Birch could step up big time at attack.

4 ACC teams listed. Maybe Hiltz helps put us in this convo by season end
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Positional Units Coming Into 2021: Attack
10 Dec 2020 by Tanner Demling

With the college lacrosse season just months away, Lacrosse Bucket is looking forward and examining some of the top positional units coming into the 2021 season.

Here is a look at some of the top attack units in college lacrosse:

Duke

The Duke Blue Devils might very well have the scariest offense that we’ve seen in college lacrosse for quite a while. And that lethality starts at the attack position. Dyson Williams (25G/5A) led the way as a freshman last season, while JP Basile (5G/14A) and Joey Manown (14G/4A), who returns for a fifth season, also had strong seasons as starters. Additionally, the Blue Devils added Princeton grad transfer Michael Sowers who is the Tewaaraton favorite and could be the best attackman the Blue Devils have had since Jordan Wolf. Joe Robertson will also be back after missing last season with a torn ACL and highly-touted freshman Brennan O’Neill could make some serious noise.

North Carolina

The arrival of Chris Gray via the transfer portal immediately took the Tar Heels’ offense to the next level last season. The leader of this revived offense, Gray led the nation with 48 points (27G/21A) during the 2020 season. Expect him to continue being one of the best attackmen in the nation in 2021. Alongside Gray, Nicky Soloman (13G/16A) and Brian Cameron (10G/5A) return as starters from last season. Alex Trippi (10G/7A), who served as the Tar Heels’ primary reserve attackman last season will also return and could see much-increased production and time this season.

Virginia

The Cavaliers lose 26 points off last year’s squad with the graduation of Michael Kraus. However, they still return leading-scorer Matt Moore (19G/16A) and Ian Laviano (11G/3A). Virginia also landed the services of Merrimack grad transfer Charlie Bertrand, who is expected to step right into that QB role. Payton Cormier (12G/7A) and highly-touted redshirt freshman Connor Shellenberger are both natural attackmen who will likely play midfield mostly this season but could see some time at attack if needed

Notre Dame

Griffin Westlin (6G/10A) and Pat Kavanagh (10G/6A) has very strong sophomore and freshman campaigns last season, and Wheaton Jackoboice (8G/3A) put up another solid season as a junior. This attack line only got better and deeper over the summer, as the Irish added two stud grad transfer attackman in Will York (Bucknell) and Sean Lahey (Providence).

Georgetown

Last season, the Hoyas’ starting attack line accounted for over 50% of their offensive production. And it doesn’t look like that will change in 2021. Jake Carraway (23G/11A) was handed the keys to this offense last season and flourished. Returning for a fifth season, expect another strong season from the Annapolis, Md., native. Dylan Watson (23G/2A) had a breakout season last year and could very well put up similar numbers in 2021. Colgate grad transfer Nicky Petkevich is a huge addition to this offense and is expected to tear it up this season just as he did the past four seasons in the Patriot League.

Denver

Last season, the Pioneers housed one of the best, young-ish, offenses in the Big East. And Ethan Walker (15G/10A), who is one of the best shooters in college lacrosse, was a big part of that offense once again. Denver also returns JJ Sillstrop (10G) at the attack spot after a stellar freshman season and adds Yale grad transfer, Jackson Morrill.

Penn State

Losing a generational-type player like Grant Ament is never easy. But this Penn State attack unit should still be as killer as ever without him. Mac O’Keefe (28G/8A) will be running the show this season, alongside TJ Malone (16G/7A). Dylan Foulds (12G/4A) and Jack Traynor (11G/2A) could see time at either attack or midfield again this season, and redshirt freshman Canyon Birch could step up big time at attack.

Fun to put lists like this together, but think they’ve included way too many teams. I think SU is pretty comparable to a number of them listed here. UNC obviously has Grey but their numbers were inflated big time by playing a weak schedule last year. I would choose the SU attack over Notre Dame’s. Penn State has one of the best finishers in O’Keefe but still has to replace Ament which is huge. Georgetown also hard to judge based on an easy schedule last year. I will say that Duke’s second unit could maybe make this list by itself which is scary.

My top five would be something like - Duke, Denver, UVA, Cornell (maybe they aren’t including Ivy League teams? Seems like a huge omission) and UNC. SU isn’t near the top but feels like they are a bit underrated if they are being left off a list that long.

Fun to put lists like this together, but think they’ve included way too many teams. I think SU is pretty comparable to a number of them listed here. UNC obviously has Grey but their numbers were inflated big time by playing a weak schedule last year. I would choose the SU attack over Notre Dame’s. Penn State has one of the best finishers in O’Keefe but still has to replace Ament which is huge. Georgetown also hard to judge based on an easy schedule last year. I will say that Duke’s second unit could maybe make this list by itself which is scary.

My top five would be something like - Duke, Denver, UVA, Cornell (maybe they aren’t including Ivy League teams? Seems like a huge omission) and UNC. SU isn’t near the top but feels like they are a bit underrated if they are being left off a list that long.
The list looks a little short to me. Where's Maryland?
Bernhardt's availability is still unknown, which would give the Terps one of the best ones. You have Wisnauskas. Maltz had a nice freshman start. Eric Holden and Griffin Brown transferring in. Kyle Long is an outstanding feeder.

OSU's attack is pretty strong with LeClaire, Jackson Reid, and Myers.