New DC: Rocky Long (now official) | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

New DC: Rocky Long (now official)

We’re going to be really good this season
As always it's health. I feel good about the defense. I think they'll hold up more. It comes down to OL and QB health. Based on the OL coach hire and what we saw in the bowl game, I see a lot of short passes to Allen this year. Hopefully less designed runs for Shrader.

Lost Jones Duce and GW but I have a feeling the defense is gonna be better. Just my thoughts as I watch Rocky Long’s presentation at the Turning-stone clinic. He is using clips of Cuse games. Indirectly pointing out things that need to be cleaned up. I got the feeling he thought White left some meat on the bone. His knowledge and confidence with the scheme is apparent. Looking forward to seeing how this unit performs under him.
george costanza seinfeld GIF

I think the DL is going to be the strength this year. Been a long time since I could say that.
yeah. I’m hoping too. With Darton, Lockett, and Brandon from Bama we should be set with our inside rotation. I saw last year after Darton was playing all game he wasn’t quit what he was against say Purdue as he gave up too much weight. Now with a rest, he was awesome like at end of Purdue game against all big ten first team center as he pushed him into backfield and stuffed the zone run as he had center in one hand and rb in the other. 2 plays in a row.

As always it's health. I feel good about the defense. I think they'll hold up more. It comes down to OL and QB health. Based on the OL coach hire and what we saw in the bowl game, I see a lot of short passes to Allen this year. Hopefully less designed runs for Shrader.
Hopefully Shrader does not run at all against Colgate, Western Michigan, or Army.

yeah. I’m hoping too. With Darton, Lockett, and Brandon from Bama we should be set with our inside rotation. I saw last year after Darton was playing all game he wasn’t quit what he was against say Purdue as he gave up too much weight. Now with a rest, he was awesome like at end of Purdue game against all big ten first team center as he pushed him into backfield and stuffed the zone run as he had center in one hand and rb in the other. 2 plays in a row.
Darton played his heart out last season but was obviously overworked. With Lockett back and Braylen coming in, we should be fresher in the 4th and better against the run. Interesting to see which of Bassett, Barclay and double-O (Fr. Jan. enrollee) flash in the spring. I think this is the most interior depth we've had since Slayton graduated.

Darton played his heart out last season but was obviously overworked. With Lockett back and Braylen coming in, we should be fresher in the 4th and better against the run. Interesting to see which of Bassett, Barclay and double-O (Fr. Jan. enrollee) flash in the spring. I think this is the most interior depth we've had since Slayton graduated.
Yeah I’m excited for the year and what long changes or fixes up front.

Fingers Crossed

Gunna be some eyes crossed when those guys get behind the LOS. The injuries last year has forced SU to play some talented young guys and I have a feeling they like the taste of being out on that field. If they are doing what they are asked to do this off season, the skies the limit.

FtyHQX5XsAIWCq3

Great Pic of Rocky with recruit visitor Tyler Cooks from Manvel, TX today. Tyler is one of Kirk Martin's players.
You think Rocky mentioned to Tyler that he developed Brian Urlacher?

I sincerely believe he's one of the five best coaches to ever coach here. I'm really excited to see what he does with the defense.
Ditto. You and I both have followed Rocky for years. He is as good a DC as there is and how many times is SU going to have a staff member with almost 150 wins as an FBS head coach on top of it all?

Last edited:
Let's see, IMO we've got Schwartzwalder, Mac, Duffy Daugherty, and Nick Saban as the top 4. Would Long come in ahead of Coach P? Jim Tressel? I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom