New NYS NIL law | Syracusefan.com

New NYS NIL law

Great news. NCAA is useless and biased in how they apply rules. The deserve to be marginalized more and more
truest statement ever. My all time favorite line with respect to them and this remains, "The NCAA was so upset with North Carolinas transgressions that they slapped Syracuse with another 6 months probation!" Love this law, marginalize and continue to make this toothless now useless and feckless organization irrelevant enough to wither and die on the vine. Good riddance, to anything meaningful coming from that crew.

Last edited:
so does this mean that NY could pass a law that says NY schools in the ivy league would not have to abide by those rules as well and could not be punished by the IVY for doing things like adds scholies?

truest statement ever. My all time favorite line with respect to them and this remains, "The NCAA was so upset with North Carolinas transgressions that they slapped Syracuse with another 6 months probation!" Love this law, marginalize and continue to make this toothless now useless and feckless organization irrelevant enough to wither and die on the vine. Good riddance, to anything meaningful coming from that crew.
And the NCAA isn't going to challenge any of the state's law's.
If they do every state that has a law will join the suit, and keep them in court for years.
Plus they will have to defend all their previous actions in court, and wouldn't like that.
Their punishments to schools have been arbitrary and wouldn't stand up in court.

Yep- it's game on now too - no more only the southern SEC states can play this game and make their own way.

so does this mean that NY could pass a law that says NY schools in the ivy league would not have to abide by those rules as well and could not be punished by the IVY for doing things like adds scholies?

I suppose they could, but I see this as a matter of NYS protecting an inherent right. Scholarships themselves are not a protected right. You have an inherent right to your name, image and likeness. Putting in rules (such as with pay) legislates that right. The state already legislates pay issues, they are not going to cede that protection to a non-governmental agency.

And the NCAA isn't going to challenge any of the state's law's.
If they do every state that has a law will join the suit, and keep them in court for years.
Plus they will have to defend all their previous actions in court, and wouldn't like that.
Their punishments to schools have been arbitrary and wouldn't stand up in court.

How could they challenge it? As Unconstitutional? lol

I suppose they could, but I see this as a matter of NYS protecting an inherent right. Scholarships themselves are not a protected right. You have an inherent right to your name, image and likeness. Putting in rules (such as with pay) legislates that right. The state already legislates pay issues, they are not going to cede that protection to a non-governmental agency.
doesnt this law though mean that it wouldnt even have to be NIL at all any more.. here i give you 10 million to do nothing.. Thats an NIL infraction but they cant do anything to punish schools about it.

doesnt this law though mean that it wouldnt even have to be NIL at all any more.. here i give you 10 million to do nothing.. Thats an NIL infraction but they cant do anything to punish schools about it.
By NIL infraction do you mean it can't be used solely for recruiting? Here's a question - what constitutes an acceptable NIL deal and by what measure? Why can't someone pay a player for doing nothing? Why does it have to come with something attached to it? Legally speaking I mean? I can give you 10M for nothing. There is nothing illegal with that.

By NIL infraction do you mean it can't be used solely for recruiting? Here's a question - what constitutes an acceptable NIL deal and by what measure? Why can't someone pay a player for doing nothing? Why does it have to come with something attached to it? Legally speaking I mean? I can give you 10M for nothing. There is nothing illegal with that.
thats not NIL thats just a gift.

thats not NIL thats just a gift.

Well, getting paid big bucks for nothing is bascially the way it is these days. Many professional level players are continuously getting gifts that keep on giving and now it has trickled down to the college level. Yea!

Francisco Lindor is batting .217 for the Mets and laughing all the way to the bank with the 10 yr. $341 mil deal struck a couple of years ago, in now his 3rd year with the Mets. In his first year with them, he batted .230. How sweet it is! Just one of numerous examples where these high level/paid athletes actual productivity is not close to the stratosphere of compensation received...IMO.

We (fans) are complete imbeciles/idiots that have considerably contributed with this out of control/so called "market value" of the majority that play their respective sports/games...IMO.

End of rant. ;):)

I think it is time to replace the NCAA with an organization that recognizes the reality of collegiate competition at this point in time. An organization nimble enough to make changes in real time as society changes.
The NCAA is literally the member institutions. It is not some outside entity forced upon them. They can choose to keep or replace it at anytime.

Francisco Lindor is batting .217 for the Mets and laughing all the way to the bank with the 10 yr. $341 mil deal struck a couple of years ago, in now his 3rd year with the Mets. In his first year with them, he batted .230. How sweet it is! Just one of numerous examples where these high level/paid athletes actual productivity is not close to the stratosphere of compensation received...IMO.
Albert Pujols... others... post-big deal never works out. That's why the Braves, Mariners, etc. are signing people younger. It's also why I never spend >$35 on players for my fantasy baseball team (auction draft), and pick guys up coming off bad years. Regression to the mean.

I’m still mad about what they did to Billy Edelin, so….yeah. Screw em.

The NCAA has effectively maintained the power status quo for decades across major college sports with so many head scratching decisions and an egregious lack of consistency in how they apply the rules.

For those saying the member institutions make up the NCAA and thus bounce the blame back I can only laugh. Certain programs have representation and sway while others do not. Paired with the fact the NCAA is an entity that functions independent of those institutions but with clear bias - it is a failed institution. Bury it and don't mark the grave and find a better way.

The NCAA has effectively maintained the power status quo for decades across major college sports with so many head scratching decisions and an egregious lack of consistency in how they apply the rules.

For those saying the member institutions make up the NCAA and thus bounce the blame back I can only laugh. Certain programs have representation and sway while others do not. Paired with the fact the NCAA is an entity that functions independent of those institutions but with clear bias - it is a failed institution. Bury it and don't mark the grave and find a better way.
Saying the member institutions make it up isn't excusing their idiocy, it's pointing out that it's not as simple as saying "get rid of it." If it was some outside entity, it would be.

Saying the member institutions make it up isn't excusing their idiocy, it's pointing out that it's not as simple as saying "get rid of it." If it was some outside entity, it would be.

Well to play captain obvious here- yes you don't get from verbally pointing out how bad it is and the need to replace it to actually doing it over night. No simplicity is being implied in any of us saying it should be replaced/cease to exist.

The super conference tug of war is one ongoing process that ultimately will play its part, paired with legislation.

Have to figure it's not a singular replacement in that something could exist for non major sports and then a much different infrastructure for major sports. It's going to be a wild ride the next decade. The wheels are in motion on the NCAA losing more and more grip on having purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom