New NYS NIL law | Syracusefan.com

New NYS NIL law

“ It also prohibits the NCAA from launching investigations against New York schools for pay-related violations, including those committed by donor-backed collectives or boosters of the university….
—————

Wha?

“ It also prohibits the NCAA from launching investigations against New York schools for pay-related violations, including those committed by donor-backed collectives or boosters of the university….
—————

Wha?

That’s awesome.

—————

Wha?
I think a few other states (Alabama?) have basically the same language in their legislation.

The New York version may help protect against selective enforcement of the rules by the NCAA--if there is an NCAA.

This all seems kind of strange to me. For us, it's a good strange.

But basically a state can pass laws that restrict the rights of the NCAA against a school? Is that what I'm reading?

Not sure why every state wouldn't just do this. Like, yesterday.

This all seems kind of strange to me. For us, it's a good strange.

But basically a state can pass laws that restrict the rights of the NCAA against a school? Is that what I'm reading?

Not sure why every state wouldn't just do this. Like, yesterday.
Yup. That's it. The genie is out of the bottle and athletes & governments are asserting rights that have not otherwise been attenuated through official action. In essence, the NCAA as a voluntary, private association cannot enforce some things that are "outside their wheelhouse".

If you think about it, it makes sense. You have a non-elected, non-governmental body passing governance on a protected right. Pay-related violations are regulated by local and state (and in some respect the federal government) governments. The NCAA is a collection of universities. Limiting pay for NIL is akin to price-fixing. Even the pro sports orgs don't have a say on pay issues related to NIL for their players, that I am aware.

Yup. That's it. The genie is out of the bottle and athletes & governments are asserting rights that have not otherwise been attenuated through official action. In essence, the NCAA as a voluntary, private association cannot enforce some things that are "outside their wheelhouse".
I think I get what you're saying, but governments don't assert rights, they protect rights. I'm probably be pedantic here. It's really ashame that state governments even have to state this through official action, but as we know societies push against rights all the time.

I think I get what you're saying, but governments don't assert rights, they protect rights. I'm probably be pedantic here. It's really ashame that state governments even have to state this through official action, but as we know societies push against rights all the time.
The problem is that different states will have different rules (laws). Competition among state governments, say Ohio vs Alabama vs Louisiana, to give their state university the edge over the others in compensating their athletes.

The problem is that different states will have different rules (laws). Competition among state governments, say Ohio vs Alabama vs Louisiana, to give their state university the edge over the others in compensating their athletes.

I don't see anything wrong with that unless I'm looking purely through the eyes of a fan. States have different income tax rules, which certainly benefit players in some states over others. Texas has no income tax, NY has outrageous income taxes ;), neither the feds nor the NCAA can do anything about that.

In essence, the NCAA gave up any claim to authority the schools gave them over the preceding decades to force compliance when they began selective enforcement and abusing schools because of bias and/influence. If I have to pick a time, probably following Kentucky's death penalty in hoops. I may be wrong but if I recall, KU was then last significant assertion of authority (state school, no regard for conference, etc.). After KU the NCAA was "selective" when it came to enforcement. By the time PedState's fiasco arose, the NCAA had lost any and all moral authority.

I will defer to anyone with a better recall and handle on the NCAA.

In essence, the NCAA gave up any claim to authority the schools gave them over the preceding decades to force compliance when they began selective enforcement and abusing schools because of bias and/influence. If I have to pick a time, probably following Kentucky's death penalty in hoops. I may be wrong but if I recall, KU was then last significant assertion of authority (state school, no regard for conference, etc.). After KU the NCAA was "selective" when it came to enforcement. By the time PedState's fiasco arose, the NCAA had lost any and all moral authority.

I will defer to anyone with a better recall and handle on the NCAA.
I think the genie came fully out of the bottle when they opted to let the UNC academic scam go untouched. Shattered the last vestige of education coming first and fully cleared the fog for those who thought college sports wasn't a business.

What am I missing here? Isn't membership in the NCAA voluntary? A school is not required to be in the NCAA for athletics. They can choose the NAIA, or form another association, right? So, if an association has bylaws that require its members to abide by its rules and regs, can a state law carry the day?
I'm waiting on the Syracusefan internal counsel to weigh in.

The NCAA can put out all the notices they want, they aren't in position to mess with the football schools with big basketball programs.
Their moneymaker the NCAA basketball tournament goes away if the football schools are upset.

The NCAA can put out all the notices they want, they aren't in position to mess with the football schools with big basketball programs.
Their moneymaker the NCAA basketball tournament goes away if the football schools are upset.
Exactly.

SEC schools in response: Oh you mean we don't have to share anymore? COOL! Goodbye.

So . . . would this new New York State law protect SU from any possible NIL related penalties by the NCAA that might have involved activities by a former major NIL booster who is no longer involved with the university? Just speaking hypothetically.

So . . . would this new New York State law protect SU from any possible NIL related penalties by the NCAA that might have involved activities by a former major NIL booster who is no longer involved with the university? Just speaking hypothetically.
yes, but regardless, he's still not a good look for them in their wanna be Ivy league looking aspirations. "flew to close to the sun" and not represenative of the "look" they want in style and substance.

So can NYS pass a law that says its professional sports teams don't have to abide by their league's salary cap?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom