New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official] | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Dale Williams [Official]

IMG_9588.jpeg

The Dale Williams connection is Nixon. They played together at WVU. Pretty sure he was handpicked by Nixon.
Good call and actually I do recall that know that I think back. Yep.

Old roof in the picture.
That’s the first Clemson game when we joined the ACC. That was the only year we were in the conference with the old style ACC logo and that was the only game that season to have that big a crowd.

When I do a deeper dive into his career the hire might be OK. The last 3 OL coaches we had might have had better resumes on paper and the results weren't that great, so who knows.

In several of his previous stops he's had teams that were in the top 15s for fewest sacks allowed. His work at FAU is pretty good. He was the OLine coach for a team that went to it's first ever bowl game, then repeated the next season. They had their first ever 1,000 yard rusher and then went 4 years in a row with a 1,000 yard rusher. Those were his OLs opening those holes.

Findlay Williams is D2 but as OL and OC coach he got that team nationally ranked with a power run game and again a top team in fewest sacks allowed. Also put out a 1,500 and 1,600 yard back.

His Purdue stop isn't bad. Good enough to be there 6 years with Brohm who also brought him over from Western Kentucky.

His one year at WKU they averaged 523 yards per game (186 on the ground) and gave up 22 sacks on 471 passes. 1 every 21.4 attempts. By comparison Syracuse gave up a sack every 10.5 attempts and that was with a QB who bailed out of the pocket early.

Initially a little underwhelming but might be better than I first thought. Will definitely be a story line year 1. Between him and Nixon and Johnson and even Nunzio you also have a little grey on that side of the ball. Not bad thing.

Looking back on the Purdue fan comments, he cited recruiting weakness as a criticism. I wonder if he's here more for his coaching vs recruiting? Obviously any coach looks better when they have more natural talent to work with.

"Coach Williams is really, really intelligent and understands the screen game a lot differently than a lot of other people we interviewed," Brown said. "He has a good grasp on what they're doing at the NFL level when it comes to screens. He loves running power and counter. He loves mauling people. Just everything about what it is to be an o-line guy. He's able to relate to the kids and they love being around him. This is a tough offensive line guy, I like him a lot and am glad he's on our staff."

Looking back on the Purdue fan comments, he cited recruiting weakness as a criticism. I wonder if he's here more for his coaching vs recruiting? Obviously any coach looks better when they have more natural talent to work with.
If the burden isn't as heavy for him to recruit then it does change the narrative.

If the burden isn't as heavy for him to recruit then it does change the narrative.

I wondered if this is why Brohm moved him to analyst at Louisville?

Brohm hired him at Western Kentucky, then brought him to Purdue (for 6 years), then brought him to Louisville but moved him into an analyst role. It doesn't add up in terms of him not being a good OLine coach. There's something he was doing that Brohm obviously liked. If it was a straight demotion why even bring him over from Purdue? The guy he went with for OLine is also a LVille alum and 10 years younger. Beats me. It curious though.

Brohm hired him at Western Kentucky, then brought him to Purdue (for 6 years), then brought him to Louisville but moved him into an analyst role. It doesn't add up in terms of him not being a good OLine coach. There's something he was doing that Brohm obviously liked. If it was a straight demotion why even bring him over from Purdue? The guy he went with for OLine is also a LVille alum and 10 years younger. Beats me. It curious though.
We have had so many O Line coaches over the years and it really is such a key position coach but I am just convinced we need better talent at O Line. We have blamed every O Line coach other than the Marrone era for poor performance the last 25 years really. Want better O Line play, recruit better and yeah coaching matters as well but I just think they need more talent here.

This guy is probably no better nor worse than any of the other coaches we have had. and being competent run or pass blocking and being horrendous at the other isn't good either. I will say this though if they can't protect McCord it will be a long long season

We have had so many O Line coaches over the years and it really is such a key position coach but I am just convinced we need better talent at O Line. We have blamed every O Line coach other than the Marrone era for poor performance the last 25 years really. Want better O Line play, recruit better and yeah coaching matters as well but I just think they need more talent here.

This guy is probably no better nor worse than any of the other coaches we have had. and being competent run or pass blocking and being horrendous at the other isn't good either. I will say this though if they can't protect McCord it will be a long long season
With Fran as Head coach we are going to beat people up at the line of scrimmage.
We will be the toughest team on the field each week. You look at Georgia, Michigan, the Championship Clemson teams.
It starts with the offensive and defensive lines, wear teams down for 60 minutes.

You don't keep a guy in the same role for 6 years if he's horrible at it. Unless you're a horrible head coach.