New OL Coach- Joe Adam | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach- Joe Adam

Ask and you shall receive - per the 2006 Western Michigan University media guide:

He was a Student Assistant at Grand Valley State from 2003 to 2005, working primarily with the defensive backs and defensive line. Prior to that, he was a defensive line coach/recruiting coordinator at Harper Junior College from 1997 to 2003.

Thanks. That's what I get for scouring GVSUs site and not WMU.

I get the anxiety given the situation. As many have stated, the persistent doubts about this guys credentials seem to overemphasize the obvious: this guy is a young up and comer, so of course he's going to underwhelm on paper. Let's remember that Scott Shafer is highly respected within coaching circles, and I think we can agree that the guys he's brought on to this point demonstrates very good ability to assess a person's coaching aptitude. There's not much to do but welcome the guy aboard, wish him well, and save your critique for when we have some product on the field to evaluate.

Also, you guys who observed (very astutely I might add) the connection with a possible Smith departure, let's all hope that's not the case.

Another thing: Shafer seems to have gotten a lot of coaches who do well in-home. They're personable, energetic and can connect on a face-to-face level. I'd bet Coach Adam is the same way. Not to knock Moore or anyone under Marrone (save Shafer and Hackett), but the previous group of coaches didn't nearly seem as personable as the new group of coaches do.

are you qualified to determine who's a good oline coach and who isnt... I see no problem with taking a head coach at a lower level and making him any position coach... head coach at a lower level is more intense than position coach at this level...

Jesus, I didn't say it was a bad hire, I said it was risky. Not sure what "intensity" has to do with anything.

I have no problem hiring for potential, and this guy has obviously been in the plan, but with potential and no experience their is a steep learning curve, and you are buying issues. Most of those issues are dealt with at lower levels.

Jesus, I didn't say it was a bad hire, I said it was risky. Not sure what "intensity" has to do with anything.

I have no problem hiring for potential, and this guy has obviously been in the plan, but with potential and no experience their is a steep learning curve, and you are buying issues. Most of those issues are dealt with at lower levels.
You seem to be getting a little upset, I cant understand why you think it is risky to hire a "head coach" at a lower level school into a positional coach at this level. What if he ends up being the te/st coach? will you be happy then, will it be less of a risk? What position did he play in college? These are questions that noone knows except for Shafer. Also, what did you mean by "buying issues" maybe i need another cup of coffee but I have no idea what you are talking about

I really don't get all the hand wringing. We have yet to see confirmation that he is the OL coach.

Besides, I completely trust HCSS with this. He's brought in VERY good coaches starting Daoust a few years back.

You seem to be getting a little upset, I cant understand why you think it is risky to hire a "head coach" at a lower level school into a positional coach at this level. What if he ends up being the te/st coach? will you be happy then, will it be less of a risk? What position did he play in college? These are questions that noone knows except for Shafer. Also, what did you mean by "buying issues" maybe i need another cup of coffee but I have no idea what you are talking about

If he was hired as TE/ST coach, that would make a great deal more sense.

This, this and this again. With multiple hires since Marrone's departure i've heard moaning and groaning about guys abilities, fit and credentials. It started with complaints about the Shafer hire, then McDonald, Reed, etc. All the 2014 staff did in their first year was finish 3rd in their division in the first year in the ACC, win a bowl game and bring in, arguably, the best recruiting class in 10 years. So i'll take all of the complaining (from the normal complaining crowd) to be a ringing endorsment of our new coach and know, in my heart, he'll work out just fine.

Next man up. Welcome aboard Joe Adam and good luck. We play it hardnosed.

Great post Louie. I too want to welcome Mr. Adam to the club.

Last edited:
Another thing: Shafer seems to have gotten a lot of coaches who do well in-home. They're personable, energetic and can connect on a face-to-face level. I'd bet Coach Adam is the same way. Not to knock Moore or anyone under Marrone (save Shafer and Hackett), but the previous group of coaches didn't nearly seem as personable as the new group of coaches do.

Completely agree. I think Marrone's staff reflected his personality in most cases and HCSS's hires have reflected his. I don't want a Ron Zook running the show or anything, but let's face it, talent is the name of the game if we are going to try and compete with FSU, Clemson etc. Get the talent and worry about the coaching after that. The team isn't going to fall apart because Joe Adam is experienced mostly on defense. If he can replace the recruiting talent in the Midwest that the likely to depart Smith brought us, I will be ecstatic.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but the coach's name has been misspelled several times in this thread.

The new coach's last name is "Adam" not "Adams".

We now return to our regularly scheduled program...

are you qualified to determine who's a good oline coach and who isnt... I see no problem with taking a head coach at a lower level and making him any position coach... head coach at a lower level is more intense than position coach at this level...

Don't you think we would prefer a coach with SOME experience at the position he's coaching???

If he was hired as TE/ST coach, that would make a great deal more sense.
fyi - perles was a linebacker in college, coached defensive line first before he started coaching o-line. Stop being so critical over a positional coach, he (coach adam) knows more about o-line than pretty much everyone that posts here

fyi - perles was a linebacker in college, coached defensive line first before he started coaching o-line. Stop being so critical over a positional coach, he (coach adam) knows more about o-line than pretty much everyone that posts here

Did he or did he not have offensive line experience before he came to SU?

That's all anyone is saying.

Who said it wasn't impressive, I have no way of knowing that. Obviously Lester thinks a lot of him. That's not the point. The point is the level of risk of putting this person, however good a teacher and coach he is in general, at this PARTICULAR job.

That's it.

People can bring up Chip Kelly, Gus Malzahn, Nate Hackett, Tim Lester all they want, but they all had relevant direct experience for the positions they were hired for.

Shafer is running the program, he knows the people involved, the guy could be another high potential hire and this was the first, best way to get him on the staff. That's all goes into a hiring decision, but he is also rolling the dice that this won't be too disruptive.

Two years ago there was decades worth of BCS and NFL experience coaching the OL, and I think it showed in the turn around in that group from where it was in 2009 and before. Proof that coaching matters. It took a couple of years but the last two years that group both pass protected and run blocked as well as any unit this school has had in a very long time.

This hire represents 0 years of experience at any level. That's why there is concern.

It is evident that people here have had very little football coaching experience (and as it should be). But if people really think that a defensive coordinator or line coach know very little about offensive blocking schemes or technique, you're just flat out wrong. DL coaches know every technique, protection, and scheme there is on the offensive side of the football. He, like Hackett before him, is being hired as a position coach, not a coordinator.

Only time will tell if this is a good hire or not. Hackett was a risky hire and he turned out to be great. Then you had MagicMan Wiley who turned out to be as good as a bag of .

Heck, Shafer played QB and has coached mostly on the defensive side of the ball before becoming a head coach. :noidea:

And O line play is so essential to a team's success. More so, IMO, than any other position.

It is evident that people here have had very little football coaching experience (and as it should be). But if people really think that a defensive coordinator or line coach know very little about offensive blocking schemes or technique, you're just flat out wrong. DL coaches know every technique, protection, and scheme there is on the offensive side of the football. He, like Hackett before him, is being hired as a position coach, not a coordinator.

Only time will tell if this is a good hire or not. Hackett was a risky hire and he turned out to be great. Then you had MagicMan Wiley who turned out to be as good as a bag of .

You know, I would have bet anyone a million dollars today that I would not have encountered the phrase, "bag of ." Touche my friend! :D

No one here is being hired to be an OL coach in the ACC.

You have a weird definition of critical. I said it was risky, I didn't say it was reckless or stupid, and I understand that Lester and Shafer have a ton more insight than anyone else.

That being said, it's a highly unusual move.

FWIW, here is the exact blurb from coachingsearch.com
Syracuse: Per source, Elmhurst College head coach Joe Adam will join the Syracuse staff. Adam is expected to coach the offensive line.

Key words for for me are 'per source' and 'expected'. We don't know for sure who this source is yet (and if it is reliable), nor do we know for sure what job he will be expected to perform. So freaking out about his OL qualifications seems...premature.

If this really happens, and if he is the oline coach then the media/Matt Park better ask the obvious question at the PC and when we get the SS answer then we can decide good or bad. For all we know he has been a night student at Phoenix University for 5 years taking online oline courses and just hasnt had the shot to apply them yet..

FWIW, here is the exact blurb from coachingsearch.com

Key words for for me are 'per source' and 'expected'. We don't know for sure who this source is yet (and if it is reliable), nor do we know for sure what job he will be expected to perform. So freaking out about his OL qualifications seems...premature.
It is also not clear if the "expectation" comes from the source, or if it is the writer's own guess. I suspect the latter.