New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New OL Coach: Mike Schmidt from SDSU

Good hire. He has been at SDST for a decade ... he also has coached a OL that has been ranked in the top 20 in rushing for several years. Many of his lineman have earned individual awards or honors. People should be happy. His resume seems to be better than the guys that people wanted. I’m just curious as to how his players have developed in the pass blocking area
From a coaching perspective, how big of a shift is it to go from coaching/teaching a run oriented offense versus primarily pass protection? I know you always have to teach both, but if it's a focus of the offense, is there a big difference? It's still about scheme and assignments, but one is plow ahead and the other is protect the pocket. Our offense would SEEM to really need a good balance and to be able to disguise it, too.

in the last 5 yrs against the pac-12 S they ran for

152 vs cal
334 vs cal
280 vs Ariz St
171 vs St
280 vs Ariz St

even the worse game was about 4 yds a carry.. we would kill for running that much in our bad games

So they ran for 280 both times they played against the 335? great. ;-)

From a coaching perspective, how big of a shift is it to go from coaching/teaching a run oriented offense versus primarily pass protection? I know you always have to teach both, but if it's a focus of the offense, is there a big difference? It's still about scheme and assignments, but one is plow ahead and the other is protect the pocket. Our offense would SEEM to really need a good balance and to be able to disguise it, too.
I mean, at it's core, the Baylor-style air attack is supposed to be run block-centric on every play. That's why there are so many road graders on the roster.

for all the San Diego is the greatest place on earth talk Dino must have done a heck of a sell job to get a San Diego lifer to move to Syracuse.
Agreed and I would also guess Dino got some air cover from the AD as well. This guy is making the jump partially because he feels confident he has a couple years to make things happen.

So, and I'm NOT being sarcastic, don't worry as much about protection, just push everybody forward/out of the way? Maybe not quite THAT simple, but close?
I could be way wrong. That said, a good teacher can teach anything.

Well we didnt run for 280 vs air last few yrs so if we casn only run vs a 335 thats a start

I preface by saying I know zero about OL and technique. But I've had this long standing belief there can be a fundamental flaw in the physics of pass blocking. Having someone go backwards rather than first engaging forward has always been at odds for me. Maybe this is the fine line of teaching run blocking vs pass blocking.

A big time hire considering we came from the likes of Joe Adam as Oline coach. Hiring guys who have never coached the position.
Dino has been knocking it out of the park lately with his hires. A lot don’t agree but I’m still excited about Gilbert and Tony White has head coach written all over him.

Yup. Have to do both well. It will help a lot if our run game is more effective. Sometimes a strong run game can help protection by itself. Play action pass is still the most efficient pass play in the game. A strong run game also makes teams keep run stopping personnel on the field and their better pass rushers on the sideline. With that said. We need to be able to pass protect effectively. Sometime it’s a matter of getting back to fundamentals. That’s what this guy seems to bring to the table.

Good hire. He has been at SDST for a decade ... he also has coached a OL that has been ranked in the top 20 in rushing for several years. Many of his lineman have earned individual awards or honors. People should be happy. His resume seems to be better than the guys that people wanted. I’m just curious as to how his players have developed in the pass blocking area

This is important [same as what Chip suggests above]. We need guys who can take average OL prospects / three stars and coach them up to a consistently solid level of productivity.

That's the path to success.

Last edited:
Gotta think Tony White played a role here, nice hire
I will echo the thoughts others have already posted.

I like getting someone other coaches on the staff have worked with and know well.

I like bringing in a coach with a lot of experience coaching the OL (but not too much; still young and vital). He has a solid track record of success with his OL units.

I like bringing in a coach who is used to being tasked to identify talented players not ready to contribute immediately, but with a lot of potential, and developing them into players. We need to stress development with our players. Coaches used to coaching a lot of HS AA types aren't going to fit in really well in Syracuse.

I like an OL coach with a square head and no neck. The Hawaiian kids should be able to relate to a guy like this.

The adjustment from the weather in San Diego to Syracuse is going to be a big challenge for him. One end of the bell curve to the other. Look what it did to Bud Poliquin.

I will echo the thoughts others have already posted.

I like getting someone other coaches on the staff have worked with and know well.

I like bringing in a coach with a lot of experience coaching the OL (but not too much; still young and vital). He has a solid track record of success with his OL units.

I like bringing in a coach who is used to being tasked to identify talented players not ready to contribute immediately, but with a lot of potential, and developing them into players. We need to stress development with our players. Coaches used to coaching a lot of HS AA types aren't going to fit in really well in Syracuse.

I like an OL coach with a square head and no neck. The Hawaiian kids should be able to relate to a guy like this.

The adjustment from the weather in San Diego to Syracuse is going to be a big challenge for him. One end of the bell curve to the other. Look what it did to Bud Poliquin.

Great post. Especially agree with the point you make about coaches from programs who routinely field 4+ star OL recruits.

This guy seems well suited for what we need.

Home run hire. Agree that for OL, more important for coach to be able to coach up the players than recruit.
1613659655270.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom