New Penn State story | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

New Penn State story

I have a daughter, I couldn’t finish it.

Similar reaction, although I suffered through. I have three daughters, and the thought of monsters like this being out there is scary.

Almost as scarier as institutionalized protections that creeps like Holdne enjoyed due to being athletes.

Felt really bad for the victims discussed in the story who weren't able to prosecute.

The judge who let him out of jail is the second biggest villain. What was he doing?

That's the craziest part -- just think of how everything changes if he wasn't set free on bail, which apparently was totally out of whack with standard protocol.

All of those people in Long Island who suffered because of that decision...

Lives ruined, families damaged for decades [or longer]...

All based on that one misguided decision, that made zero sense to anyone involved, even back in 1979.

Got to wonder, if ESPN is working on a where are they now for Syracuse and Bernie

I checked out a couple PSU message boards to see what the reaction was. One person said that it was just a smear piece towards Penn State because "ESPN is full of Syracuse grads."
Ya that must be it lol. It has nothing to do with the lives that were ruined.

JoPa legacy story on ESPN. His son is the biggest POS ever, and we’re only 15 minutes in…
I suspect that there will be a part 2 of this story about the subject of the recent story. And possibly a part 3 on other stuff which points to Paterno knowing about Sandusky way before he retired in 1999.

Last edited:
I knew Bernie a little when I tried to play but was not good enough. Never got a whiff of anything scandalous. I never believed he was involved in any monkey business, can't prove anything but as far as I know he was given a raw deal. The stuff with his wife and players, well IMO seemed very wrong.

The Bernie stuff was either kinda real and he was a total monster or he was, as I always thought, a closeted guy who's wife knew the situation and lived a somewhat exotic lifestyle that was taken down by grifters.

The fact the story is locked and buried makes me think the latter and the fact he never sued the university for wrongful termination makes me think the university paid him a nice sum to go away and never mention the story again (or the school)

JoPa legacy story on ESPN. His son is the biggest POS ever, and we’re only 15 minutes in…
Yeah, that was my biggest takeaway too. Every time they put him on camera, he came off worse. The Paterno family should never talk to the press again. Just decline comment on everything and stay away from the press. They have done enough damage.

The world would be a better place if everyone raised their sons to be like Irv Pankey. They should put a statue of him in the spot where the Paterno statue was as a symbol of doing the right thing when it's really hard and goes against a cult.

View attachment 216502
act4_audio_irv_betsy_700x467.jpg
My #1 rule for my boys was never do anything they couldn't tell their mom they did. Seemed to me a pretty good place to start.

The Bernie stuff was either kinda real and he was a total monster or he was, as I always thought, a closeted guy who's wife knew the situation and lived a somewhat exotic lifestyle that was taken down by grifters.

The fact the story is locked and buried makes me think the latter and the fact he never sued the university for wrongful termination makes me think the university paid him a nice sum to go away and never mention the story again (or the school)
Having met some relatives of one of his accusers, I believe it is the first scenario (based upon what the relatives said about the guy. They didn't believe him, at all.)

My #1 rule for my boys was never do anything they couldn't tell their mom they did. Seemed to me a pretty good place to start.
Haha the thought of telling my Mom everything I did in college makes me cringe. (obviously I never caused actual harm to anyone)

Haha the thought of telling my Mom everything I did in college makes me cringe. (obviously I never caused actual harm to anyone)
That's the key. It could be embarrassing, but it's not criminal, harmful, degrading, etc.

Fairly certain that the way you summarize it above is a lot closer to the truth than the sensationalized ESPN version of the story. It was a complete hatchet job.

The JoePa/PSU stuff is just so egregiously evil compounded by the way the university has been obstinate and absurd in its reaction to it that it truly makes me sick to think about.

It's everything that you worry about with an entity as large and powerful as PSU football and JoePa just lording over a small town that is defined by the program and school and JoePa.

It's abhorrent and, frankly, it's even worse that they hired Franklin on top of it all.

Give me a program that drops bags for kids a thousand times over ever covering up something like this and being a breeding ground for this type of environment.

Come on Bernie was as close to being innocent as anyone can get in a situation like that.

He was gay, something of a celebrity/public figure, had a more than crazy wife, and took in a kid who was clearly a bad egg. There might be enough between those things for him to not continue in his role but he was 100% absolved of any of the false and heinous accusations.

The JoePa/PSU stuff is just so egregiously evil compounded by the way the university has been obstinate and absurd in its reaction to it that it truly makes me sick to think about.

It's everything that you worry about with an entity as large and powerful as PSU football and JoePa just lording over a small town that is defined by the program and school and JoePa.

It's abhorrent and, frankly, it's even worse that they hired Franklin on top of it all.

Give me a program that drops bags for kids a thousand times over ever covering up something like this and being a breeding ground for this type of environment.

They should have gotten the death penalty especially since Paterno was still coaching when it broke. 1 year complete football ban.

Having met some relatives of one of his accusers, I believe it is the first scenario (based upon what the relatives said about the guy. They didn't believe him, at all.)

Hmmm, the relatives of one of the accusers - side with the accuser, you say? :rolleyes:

In spite of the FBI raiding his house, Bernie Fine was never even charged with a crime.
Much less convicted.

So while in today's world, not being convicted doesn't really mean dick
see: Rittenhouse, Kyle, or Trump, Donald, or to keep this football-related - OJ Simpson,
not even being charged - especially in the immediate wake of State Penn - means there was nothing there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom