New RB Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New RB Coach

Looks like they may be planning to mine the Midwest, in particular, OH and Michigan, much harder with this staff.

Thoughts on current/future geographic areas of recruiting responibility for this staff ?

--------------
I like it. Beats the heck out of hoping that a Florida or Texas kid won't be swayed away by the threat of cold(er) weather.

These Midwest kids already know about living with "4 seasons" AND they'll get to travel (w/ SU) all over the East Coast instead of being locked in the Midwest (w/ rare exception) if they were to play in the B1G, for example.

We need to seriously target these areas IMO now that we're heading into the ACC. We have new "positives" that we can present to recruits from the Midwest.

I assume we have more spots to fill and we will have more black coaches.

I work with and have many black friends not one is offended when I say black.

Many blacks are not African. African American is more offensive IMO

29405861.jpg

--------------
I like it. Beats the heck out of hoping that a Florida or Texas kid won't be swayed away by the threat of cold(er) weather.

These Midwest kids already know about living with "4 seasons" AND they'll get to travel (w/ SU) all over the East Coast instead of being locked in the Midwest (w/ rare exception) if they were to play in the B1G, for example.

We need to seriously target these areas IMO now that we're heading into the ACC. We have new "positives" that we can present to recruits from the Midwest.

Wheatley actually did a very good job with MI and OH. I agree that we can step it up in these areas and hopefully get more kids. I would say that and more Fla and ACC territory (GA, VA, MD etc.) would be a big plus. Unfortunately Adkins had the GA connections.

Smith's and Lester's OC experience should definitely help McDonald's learning curve. I like the way the staff is coming together.

Smith's and Lester's OC experience should definitely help McDonald's learning curve. I like the way the staff is coming together.

Probably but McDonald was an OC before as well.

Same. It seems like a well thought out staff by Shafer.

Well this thread just got weird

Yeah, but the Nature Boy/WCW that was posted after you wrote this brought it back to normal quickly. Love me some Nature Boy. WOOOOO!!!

As far as recruiting goes, I think the other factor that we have to look at here is the family's ability to see their kids play. Which is why I think we need to focus more along the coast instead of the midwest. Just my two cents.

Everyone relax I will read on him in a little bit and let everyone know what I think about this. I have a quick meeting I have to go to first...Don't worry.

Just noticed something about Smith's backs. They are all on the small size, similar to what we are seeing in terms of offers since MacDonald came on board. Are we shifting to faster, smaller, shiftier offensive skill personnel and getting out of the AAM, Jerome Smith, DCIII type of backs, and the Mike Williams, Jerrod West type of receivers? Just a thought.

Yeah, but the Nature Boy/WCW that was posted after you wrote this brought it back to normal quickly. Love me some Nature Boy. WOOOOO!!!

LOL, I was doing my best impression of Nature Boy's "WOOOOOO!" to my son this morning. He tried to drop the elbow on me when I wouldn't stop.

As far as recruiting goes, I think the other factor that we have to look at here is the family's ability to see their kids play. Which is why I think we need to focus more along the coast instead of the midwest. Just my two cents.

Well, if you've been keeping up on realignment, you know we're headed to the B1G when the ACC implodes.

;)

LOL, I was doing my best impression of Nature Boy's "WOOOOOO!" to my son this morning. He tried to drop the elbow on me when I wouldn't stop.

I think the figure four leg lock is up there with the alphabet and numbers as core training for daycares.

No recruiting ties to upstate NY Oh Lord
Oh, the humanity...Agree with your comment. It's a nice to do, but not a requirement, got program back to prominence and we won't have to beg, they'll want to come here.

Sorry if this was already posted, but Coach Smith's son is a verbal to UNM. He is a two-star WR. Only five-foot-eight, though.

Like is his style. RB coaches got to have personality. He seems to have that. Good get. N. Illinois ties to Shafer.