New ST Coach: Bob Ligashesky | Syracusefan.com

New ST Coach: Bob Ligashesky

He is the definition of journeyman.

But 30 years of Special Teams coaching replacing the former person who had zero is an upgrade.
Yeah I looked at his employment history he doesn't spend more than a year or two at a stop

I was scouting the internets a few days ago for ST candidates. Ligashesky was one of the names that I thought would be a good hire. I know it’s purely a coincidence but I’m happy to say I could help.

Ton of experience. Schiano chose him as his 1st STC in Tampa. So he felt the guy is good with STs. Then again OBrien fired him a few years later for a disastrous playoff game. Illinois was pretty bad in 2020. But the good news is:

Blocked K/P
2020 0.0
2019 1
2018 2
2017 3!!!!
2016 1

That is pretty good. 7 blocked K/P in 5 seasons. Although over those same 5 seasons SU had 8.

Yeah I looked at his employment history he doesn't spend more than a year or two at a stop
Before Bowling Green he was at Illinois for five years. Only reason he left there is because Lovie Smith got canned.

Recently he has been staying.

He was at Houston(NFL) for 3 years.

Then was with Illinois for 5. They let their entire staff go. Got a G5 job. Now he's got his P5 job back.

That’s JW telling Dino…”yeah, this shared concept isn’t going to fly next year”.

Like the philosophy…don’t know much about the hire, but NFL experience is a good thing.

He’s got to be able to coach a position though. If he doesn’t it’s another weird decision, and not really in line with what is considered the standard. Most every school has a position coach who doubles as the ST Coordinator. I assume he’ll also coach TEs. We’ll see.

Ton of experience. Schiano chose him as his 1st STC in Tampa. So he felt the guy is good with STs. Then again OBrien fired him a few years later for a disastrous playoff game. Illinois was pretty bad in 2020. But the good news is:

Blocked K/P
2020 0.0
2019 1
2018 2
2017 3!!!!
2016 1

That is pretty good. 7 blocked K/P in 5 seasons. Although over those same 5 seasons SU had 8.

He’s got to be able to coach a position though. If he doesn’t it’s another weird decision, and not really in line with what is considered the standard. Most every school has a position coach who doubles as the ST Coordinator. I assume he’ll also coach TEs. We’ll see.
He's coached safeties, linebackers and tight ends previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom