New Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon lays out his vision for the Orange offense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

New Syracuse offensive coordinator Jeff Nixon lays out his vision for the Orange offense

Gotta love this guy, great energy and enthusiasm for Cuse Football!​

He did. But he wanted to hedge. The coaches ask him to make a choice. He did and they told him good bye
Fact or speculation?

Good notes on Gadsden, sounds like they're positive about him having a good year. Also sounds like McCord is already establishing himself in a leadership role.

Interview gets more interesting at the 22 minute mark. He was big on balance and being able to attack weaknesses in the defense. Personally I like to hear a little more intent on doing what you want to do with the talent you have, but it's pretty clear he's in coach speak mode trying not to give anything up. Fran was pretty intent on running the ball, and I'm sure we will, but Nixon seems to have some enthusiasm about passing.

It does sound like he likes the skill talent. Good notes on LeQuint, sounds bullish on Villari, and confirmed to Ax that we will throw the ball to the tight end. Wouldn't commit to naming a WR standout from the current roster but says they like their guys.

One thing I didn't love - said he hasn't thought much about the Dome and how playing there may impact the offense.
I'm of the notion that you tailor your offense to the talent and abilities of your roster, and if you can exploit a defense's weakness, go for it.

Wha I gleamed from the interview was that we’re going to run the ball some plays and pass the ball some plays.
And try to get in the end zone?

I think his offense is going to look something like this from 2019 Baylor.

The first 5 minutes the offense was really moving the ball scoring 3 TD’s

Was Adams on this team or the year before? I know he transferred here around that time.

So was he on the sideline for the Graves incited incident that propelled us to victory in Morgantown?

And Fran pretty much said the opposite in a recent interview with Steve Infanti. I wouldn't read too much of anything in interviews like this.
Yeah that interview struck me as a new coach who hasn’t had the time to see his players actually practice, so he was being positive about his guys.

I expect boring Marrone ball back in vogue. Which I’m fine with. I’d rather every game be competitive than trying to be a tecmo bowl offense both good and bad.

Some of my favorite Syracuse games were when we just dominated the line of scrimmage with the run. I can remember when we beat va tech 94 when Thomas and Dar Dar ran for 100 each.

If you can dominate teams by running then do it. They have said we will run the offense we need to win that game. If you have the skills to throw 25 and run 45 that is fine. We don't need to see 45 passes every game either.

But its gonna come down to the oline either way. They need to control the LOS in one phase and if you can do it for both phases even better.

So was he on the sideline for the Graves incited incident that propelled us to victory in Morgantown?
I don't think so. Jeff was a freshman in 1993. WVU played Syracuse in the Carrier Dome that season.

And incidentally destroyed a really beat up Syracuse team 43-0, in one of the worst losses in the history of the dome.

Nixon barely played his frosh year at WVU and that game was probably the highlight of his career there. He carried it late 5 times in a row and probably could have gotten a TD but Don Nehlen was too classy to let that happen.

Nixon barely played his frosh year at WVU and that game was probably the highlight of his career there. He carried it late 5 times in a row and probably could have gotten a TD but Don Nehlen was too classy to let that happen.

We were trying to encourage WVU to score 50.

Homecoming, night game, not sober, you know how it goes.

If I recall, that was back when they still sold beer until the end of the 3rd quarter, but they announced they were ending beer sales early to anyone in WVU apparel. They came in hot after that 1992 game.

We were trying to encourage WVU to score 50.

Homecoming, night game, not sober, you know how it goes.

If I recall, that was back when they still sold beer until the end of the 3rd quarter, but they announced they were ending beer sales early to anyone in WVU apparel. They came in hot after that 1992 game.
I think it was only 7-0 at halftime.

The second half was a nightmare. We were a beaten down shell. Much along the lines of the late couple of seasons come November.

I expect boring Marrone ball back in vogue. Which I’m fine with. I’d rather every game be competitive than trying to be a tecmo bowl offense both good and bad.

Some of my favorite Syracuse games were when we just dominated the line of scrimmage with the run. I can remember when we beat va tech 94 when Thomas and Dar Dar ran for 100 each.
Boring Marrone ball?

Where were you in 2012?

Boring Marrone ball?

Where were you in 2012?

144% THIS.

8-5.
Scored 30 a game.
Nassib threw for over 3700 yarfs, 26 TDs / 10 INTs.
Rome ran for 1171, and PTG went for 830.
Sir Alec Lemon 1070 yards and 7 TD's.
Marcus Sales 882 & 8.

We would have KILLED to have these kinda stats the past 5 years.

I don't think so. Jeff was a freshman in 1993. WVU played Syracuse in the Carrier Dome that season.

And incidentally destroyed a really beat up Syracuse team 43-0, in one of the worst losses in the history of the dome.

I was at that one. It was not fun. I was hoping to be wrong about his first season and it was instead the game at WVU the year before (deep down I knew). Of that game I recall that we were one of few lingering students in the student section and got a real laugh at the cheerleaders encouraging us to "block that kick!" and then I believe we did, but I may be misremembering that for obvious reasons.

Boring Marrone ball?

Where were you in 2012?
Enjoying it! Doug wanted the line to dictate the terms. I have no issue with throwing it and throwing it often. But ya kinda have to have a dedication to teaching the line how to pass/run block accordingly. Doug wasn't brought in to be an air raid guy. He was brought in to win games. I want a dedication to winning not the aesthetic of a certain offense

One thing I didn't love - said he hasn't thought much about the Dome and how playing there may impact the offense.
Personally, I’m long over the idea of building an offense “for the Dome”.

I’ve always been skeptical because I grew up a Red Sox fan. For literally decades the Sox purpose-built their team to take advantage of Fenway Park. They emphasized lumbering power hitters, and guys who could pepper the Green Monster. That meant they also eschewed prioritizing speed, defense and pitching.

So they crushed offensively at Fenway, and won a lot of 8-7 games. Then they largely flopped on the road and in the playoffs. Thankfully Dan Duquette and Theo Epstein saw the folly in that approach.

I’ve always worried that’d be the outcome of going all-out to build a Dome offense. Sure it’d give us an “identity”. But who cares about that if we have a 7-8 win ceiling on the program.

Anyway, I’m actually glad the new OC isn’t obsessed with being in a Dome. The same way I was glad that Theo wasn’t obsessed with a 33 foot high wall in left field.