new to board | Syracusefan.com

new to board

fishard

Walk On
I became a Syracuse fan the day Dino was hired. I am a newly retired Prof from Eastern Illinois University. I met and knew Dino very well during his 2 years while he was at EIU. Dino subbed in the faculty/staff bowling league starting about Feb 1. (He bowled on pure athletic ability which was significant). Dino was an Assistant here under Bob Spoo. His interview for the HC position was impressive to say the least.
When asked "if you were offered the position do you have assistants in mind and would you tell us their names?" he replied nicely " I won't tell you names until I get an offer but I can tell you they are all cut from good cloth!"

Dino took the OVC by storm his first year ad brought a style of football to EIU which soon filled the stands. The second year EIU was as good or better than anyone in the FCS but we lost to Towson State on a snow covered field. They had Terrance West who rushed for almost 300 yards; the slick field helped him as our D slipped all evening. Dino had Jimmy Grappolo as his QB. EIU was 2-9 the 2 years before Dino but won 20 games the next 2 years. The question always was did Dino make Jimmy or did Jimmy make Dino? The answer is both are very good.. Dino's stay at BGSU is good evidence that he is a great offensive coach.

Dino is a great guy, very bright, articulate, no nonsense, and full of charisma! He is very easy to like,

Dino needs a good trigger man; he can develop qbs as well as anyone. Dino's teams play fast paced so all players will be conditioned differently than ever before. Most players will lose some weight because playing 100 plays/game is very physically challenging. The defense will be challenged all the time. It is either score or 3 and out; time of possession means nothing to this offense.

I am convinced Dino will do well at Syracuse; it may take a few years. I have no idea of the talent level there now. Whatever it is they will get better. Recruiting takes some time. I can't imagine a good QB, RB or receivers NOT wanting to play in this offense! The OL will come too. Defense is the wildcard; you will be defending 80+ plays/game.

Hoping for the best for the ORANGE!

I am from Nebraska but now have 2 favorite teams!

cheers

I became a Syracuse fan the day Dino was hired. I am a newly retired Prof from Eastern Illinois University. I met and knew Dino very well during his 2 years while he was at EIU. Dino subbed in the faculty/staff bowling league starting about Feb 1. (He bowled on pure athletic ability which was significant). Dino was an Assistant here under Bob Spoo. His interview for the HC position was impressive to say the least.
When asked "if you were offered the position do you have assistants in mind and would you tell us their names?" he replied nicely " I won't tell you names until I get an offer but I can tell you they are all cut from good cloth!"

Dino took the OVC by storm his first year ad brought a style of football to EIU which soon filled the stands. The second year EIU was as good or better than anyone in the FCS but we lost to Towson State on a snow covered field. They had Terrance West who rushed for almost 300 yards; the slick field helped him as our D slipped all evening. Dino had Jimmy Grappolo as his QB. EIU was 2-9 the 2 years before Dino but won 20 games the next 2 years. The question always was did Dino make Jimmy or did Jimmy make Dino? The answer is both are very good.. Dino's stay at BGSU is good evidence that he is a great offensive coach.

Dino is a great guy, very bright, articulate, no nonsense, and full of charisma! He is very easy to like,

Dino needs a good trigger man; he can develop qbs as well as anyone. Dino's teams play fast paced so all players will be conditioned differently than ever before. Most players will lose some weight because playing 100 plays/game is very physically challenging. The defense will be challenged all the time. It is either score or 3 and out; time of possession means nothing to this offense.

I am convinced Dino will do well at Syracuse; it may take a few years. I have no idea of the talent level there now. Whatever it is they will get better. Recruiting takes some time. I can't imagine a good QB, RB or receivers NOT wanting to play in this offense! The OL will come too. Defense is the wildcard; you will be defending 80+ plays/game.

cheers
Welcome and thanks for adding to Dino's backstory. It should be a fun ride...all aboard!

cheers

Welcome!

Fishard...welcome to the board. If you never have been to NYC...I recommend buying tix through us for the Cuse game this Fall against Notre Dame @MetLife

Fishard...welcome to the board. If you never have been to NYC...I recommend buying tix through us for the Cuse game this Fall against Notre Dame @MetLife
Unrelated to the original post: would you believe that despite growing up in the northeast, going to SU, and living in the northeast for 23 for the first 24 years of my life, I've never been to NYC, other than a layover at LaGuardia?

Anyway, welcome to the board fishard!

Unrelated to the original post: would you believe that despite growing up in the northeast, going to SU, and living in the northeast for 23 for the first 24 years of my life, I've never been to NYC, other than a layover at LaGuardia?

You need to get a kitchen pass for a game this Fall.

Welcome to he board! On a side note, my eldest sister, and mother of Dan the ticket wizard, went to EIU.

Syracuse Fan welcome.gif

Thanks for sharing your memories of Head Coach Dino Babers!

cheers

Thanks for the post - great to hear. BTW, I would have given you a "like" just for your screen name. Welcome aboard.

jekelish said:
Unrelated to the original post: would you believe that despite growing up in the northeast, going to SU, and living in the northeast for 23 for the first 24 years of my life, I've never been to NYC, other than a layover at LaGuardia? Anyway, welcome to the board fishard!

Dude...

Brought my daughter to the last Metlife game 2 seasons ago she was 3, took her to Times Square and The Shake Shack (best burger ever) and she still hasn't stopped talking about it.

We will be going next season, already have it mapped out. Stay in Secaucus and take the train in, lots of fun.

You have to go...

Hard to believe

what years was she at EIU? what was her major?? I was in Biology
Mid 70's not sure what she majored in. We used to live in Decatur. Another sister went to ISU, so I'm quite familiar with central Illinois!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom