Class of 2023 - New Transfer: Christian Mule (NY: Half Hollow Hills West) Attack / Grad Transfer from Lehigh | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Transfer: Christian Mule (NY: Half Hollow Hills West) Attack / Grad Transfer from Lehigh

I know I am probably overly obsessed about right handed vs left handed, but I do wonder how the coaches take that into consideration when constructing the offense? Hiltz is a lefty and dominates that high wing side of the field. He almost never plays at X. Spallina is your typical X attackman although he can play the wing as well. I am not a Lehigh lacrosse expert and won't claim to know what sort of style Mule plays but he is a lefty. I've seen a few highlights and he pops up all over the field, but mostly on the wing, or the crease.

What is perhaps most interesting about him as a player is that for the first three seasons, and especially his sophomore and junior seasons, he was primarily a goal scorer and not a feeder (he had a high of 14 as a soph). Once Schelling left for Duke he filled that quarterback role for the Mountain Hawks. I'm very curious if he reverts to that finisher role, or if they try and use him as a playmaker. I think they have to try and use him as a pass first player to take some heat off Spallina. Attack seems like the spot for him but I'm not sure at all how it works since it seems like Hiltz already occupies his side of the field.

All that said, and there are a ton of qualifiers, it looks like SU has replaced the productivity of Kirst, Simmons and Cook, who combined for 87 points last year, with Mule, English and Stevens who combined for 122. I don't expect Mule to score another 70 points with the bump up in competition, but that's still really promising (especially when you consider English was hurt for seven games).

You raise some interesting points. I have to say this may sound like sacrilege but if I were SU I might consider giving Hiltz some run at midfield. Hiltz with time and room is beyond deadly even with only a tiny opening with a guy on his hands he's still excellent an get's off shots that can defy logic. He also moves well without the ball but he hasn't looked comfortable dodging and as you noted never plays from X. He did show a little more willingness to dodge in the 2nd half of the season and certainly drew a lot of attention when he did. I doubt it would happen but I wonder if switching he and Leo at times would add a new dynamic.

You raise some interesting points. I have to say this may sound like sacrilege but if I were SU I might consider giving Hiltz some run at midfield. Hiltz with time and room is beyond deadly even with only a tiny opening with a guy on his hands he's still excellent an get's off shots that can defy logic. He also moves well without the ball but he hasn't looked comfortable dodging and as you noted never plays from X. He did show a little more willingness to dodge in the 2nd half of the season and certainly drew a lot of attention when he did. I doubt it would happen but I wonder if switching he and Leo at times would add a new dynamic.
Blasphemer! Only joking but I am certainly in the Hiltz on the field at all times at attack camp. Even when they don't lead to points, his skip passes and long range feeds are a crucial part of the offense. Don't think we could ever afford to not have him out there on the left wing. If he was not a threat at all as a dodger then I would be more inclined to consider it, but he was a serious threat off the dodge this past season.

In many ways it was a disappointing season for him in terms of production. He got in his own head a little with his shot and his percentage was a lot lower than I thought it would ever be (30%). But he is the best shooter, best passer, and top 3 dodger on the team, not to mention a groundball machine who is effective in the ride. Think he still will have that left wing spot on lock until he graduates.

Ty's tweet is a little confusing.

Mule must be graduating from Lehigh this year and he's using his Covid year at Syracuse for the 2024 season. He's been at Lehigh for 4 years already.

Ty's tweet implies that Mule isn't graduating from Lehigh for another year.

entirely this is a good pick up of course he clearly is skilled. Not sure have him at attack as that makes our attack very short with spallina,hiltz and mule all 6ft or under. Didn’t watch many lehigh games not sure how fast he is or not. I thought after getting princeton players that we should of perused fogo,dmid and solid steady defensemen or lsm. As i rather develop our young offense talent then play someone for single year and risk young guys leaving. Can’t hurt to of grab this kid of course so overall not hating it. I still think birt, trey(if shows ready) or possibly someone else who steps up that has speed plus decent size at 3rd attack spot. If wasn’t concerned with size of attack line at all i prob would heavily considered cohen there. But as said that would make dudes short going against tall defensemen at times. Either way can’t wait till next year and still hope we grab fogo or least 2dmids. Fisher, yeager and the yale kid osbourbe i thought would been nice to grab one if not two of them but to late. Also the rutgers lsm who played dmid slot also been nice but he is gone off board too.

Regarding a step up in competition and production is why I listed the notables. 15-13 for 28 points while probably getting one of the opponents better defenders is pretty good. Even if you take out Hobart the 22 points against those schools is good.

Interesting. Sounds like it’s no sure thing he start off at attack. Worth reading the whole thing. Perhaps he plays a Michael Leo type role?

Getting ahead of myself but perhaps there is no “first” or “second” midfield but something like a “blue” and “orange” line. I don’t know that a I see three middies on the team that are head and shoulders above the next best three (I mean this in a good way).

At some point – and likely very early – during the 2024 season, Christian Mulé will have an odd sight in front of him.

For the first time in his college career, the Team 91 2019 Orange standout will see a short-stick defensive midfielder assigned to cover him. Not by a switch or a busted defensive assignment. But that’ll be a part of his role for Syracuse on the occasions that Mulé runs out of the box.

“He’s going to get a shortie for the first time in his career when he comes out of the box,” ’22 Smashand ‘Cuse All-American attackman Joey Spallinasaid with a laugh. “Other times, we’re going to be at attack together.”

I worry if he plays attack we will have another year without a true crease attackman. I think it helps to have a guy get 50-10 the Keogh’s of the lacrosse world. Thomson is a guy to me that could score a lot of goals on and around the crease. I really hope they play him at Attack.

Interesting. Sounds like it’s no sure thing he start off at attack. Worth reading the whole thing. Perhaps he plays a Michael Leo type role?

Getting ahead of myself but perhaps there is no “first” or “second” midfield but something like a “blue” and “orange” line. I don’t know that a I see three middies on the team that are head and shoulders above the next best three (I mean this in a good way).

At some point – and likely very early – during the 2024 season, Christian Mulé will have an odd sight in front of him.

For the first time in his college career, the Team 91 2019 Orange standout will see a short-stick defensive midfielder assigned to cover him. Not by a switch or a busted defensive assignment. But that’ll be a part of his role for Syracuse on the occasions that Mulé runs out of the box.

“He’s going to get a shortie for the first time in his career when he comes out of the box,” ’22 Smashand ‘Cuse All-American attackman Joey Spallinasaid with a laugh. “Other times, we’re going to be at attack together.”
Really love that he put importance playing with Joey. Things have changed in a hurry here in Syracuse I think this is a great add to this roster

Nice pick up, but I hope it doesn't send some of the younger guys (Cohen, Deere, etc.) running for the door. Never been a fan of rental players. If a rental FOGO comes along however, I reserve the right to immediately flip my stance and speak out of the other side of my mouth.

Nice pick up, but I hope it doesn't send some of the younger guys (Cohen, Deere, etc.) running for the door. Never been a fan of rental players. If a rental FOGO comes along however, I reserve the right to immediately flip my stance and speak out of the other side of my mouth.
Cohen it would be hard to fault since he has already been just on the outside looking in for a couple years. If he wants to play consistently or start somewhere then he probably will transfer. Same for a guy like Tyler Cordez or other third middie line type guys.

With Deere or another freshman it does not concern me much. It should be hard as hell to see the field as a freshman for Syracuse. You should not come in expecting to have a cake walk to playing time. UVA bringing in McConvey and Miezan lead to guys like super high rated freshman Terenzi not seeing the field and only limited time for Sunderland. Same with ND freshman for bringing in Tevlin Simmons and Fake, same with Duke bringing in Shelling, UNC with like half their offense, etc. If we don't get this guy a rival does and uses him to overwhelm our defense even further. It's the world we live in for college lax and we have to play the game or get left behind. It will tone down a little in the near future once these covid years stop being available.

I really like Cohens game from what we have seen. But if I had a choice between him staying and not getting this guy, or getting this guy and Cohen leaving...sorry buddy.