New true frosh name mentioned today | Syracusefan.com

New true frosh name mentioned today

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Hadn't seen it discussed. Looks like Estime and Isaiah Johnson are locks to play but also pushing for playing time true frosh Miami LB Marquez Hodge's name was mentioned today in a post standard article.

dont see that move happenin bud. sounds good though, the post just likes hyping up frosh. if you look back a few years steve renee was mentioned a lot during his fall camp lol

Hadn't seen it discussed. Looks like Estime and Isaiah Johnson are locks to play but also pushing for playing time true frosh Miami LB Marquez Hodge's name was mentioned today in a post standard article.

Shafer said he has played his way into consideration for specials.

What a difference from where there was no choice but to play freshmen.

Shafer said he has played his way into consideration for specials.

What a difference from where there was no choice but to play freshmen.
Definitely...red shirting will hopefully become the norm...that extra year can pay big dividends

Definitely...red shirting will hopefully become the norm...that extra year can pay big dividends
In this day and age, if you're recruiting well, you should expect several freshman to play immediately every year. Redshirting is fine, but if you're not getting players who can contribute immediately, you're not getting it done.

In this day and age, if you're recruiting well, you should expect several freshman to play immediately every year. Redshirting is fine, but if you're not getting players who can contribute immediately, you're not getting it done.

Agree. The top teams play a number of true frosh, sometimes as many as 10-15.,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. Our differentiator with the big time programs is a chance at immediate playing time if you're good. I'm happy to play the talent (just not waste it like morant)

Yep. Our differentiator with the big time programs is a chance at immediate playing time if you're good. I'm happy to play the talent (just not waste it like morant)
Agree with this. We've had to play frosh out of necessity, not talent level, a lot in the past. Flipping that means we are finally on the verge of getting back to where we once were.

To an extent. We are not a top tier program in recruiting - never have been. Most of our recruits need a redshirt year.

You can win both ways. Look at Boise State - they played six true freshmen last year, and have zero true seniors on their roster. They were ranked 14th in the country last year, 6th the prior year, 7th the year before, etc.

Who played as true freshmen in 1998? In 2001? And made an impact? I'd argue not many, without having the data in front of me.

Top teams also don't waste a lot of time with redshirting. If a player isn't going to pan out, they aren't going to grant him a redshirt. They will go out and get some more blue chippers to replace them. When you get a Jadeveon Clowney, that is a program changer. Must be nice.

Schools like Syracuse need to emphasize redshirting. They will never be able to handpick the top talent like these other schools, but they can get a huge advantage by playing a redshirt junior or senior after he's developed into a quality player. Nassib and Pugh are perfect examples.

It would be great to play several true freshmen each year, but I'm just trying to be realistic as a Syracuse fan. I can't see us getting kids consistently that will make an immediate impact. I hope I'm proved wrong. I'm quite OK with us going down the redshirt route.

The top teams get more ready to play freshmen. We're not there right now (hopefully we will be someday soon).

It's a good thing if we can leave this particular group in the incubator for a year, for the most part. Would have been great if we could have done the same with Chibane and Macky back in the day, but ST duties called.

One other note on Hodge. Shafer said something about he didn't come in as strong (or big) as they expected. But he's still making an impact on specials in practice, so sounds like he'll be a kick coverage backup for this year.

The top teams get more ready to play freshmen. We're not there right now (hopefully we will be someday soon).

It's a good thing if we can leave this particular group in the incubator for a year, for the most part. Would have been great if we could have done the same with Chibane and Macky back in the day, but ST duties called.

One other note on Hodge. Shafer said something about he didn't come in as strong (or big) as they expected. But he's still making an impact on specials in practice, so sounds like he'll be a kick coverage backup for this year.

We'll never be using 10-15 true frosh like the top teams do, but if we get to the point of using several that would be good. People are excited about a couple that might get some run so I don't get the red shirting is better. Unless your program sucks and frosh have to play, it's a good thing when frosh play. It means you are bring in better and better talent.

Unless it's as a returner, when I hear a freshmen might work their way on to specials, I'd rather they'd just redshirt.

:noidea:

Cam Lynch was the last best true frosh we had playing immediately in my opinion, he did make a difference on defense and played in a lot of zone cover packages. Before that probably Shamarko.

People are excited about a couple that might get some run so I don't get the red shirting is better.

Redshirting is not necessarily better, but it's just where we are at right now. Sure Estime, Zeke and Hodge might get some run, but we don't have any kids right now that are penciled in to start Day 1 like other programs. We can't bring in top-flight recruits (yet), so redshirting is better IMO at this point for us. More importantly, it's nice that we have the ability to spare a freshman who isn't nearly ready yet. Didn't have a choice 4-5 years ago.

Is Estime getting his reps at the receiver position or as a returner? If this kid can help spread the field for the offense and is beating out older players, I'm all for him playing. What drives me crazy isn't so much redshirting or not, but playing a true freshman 1 to 4 games with very few snaps.

I kid who plays and contributes 20-25 plays a game on special teams is probably pretty close to being in a position to be on the field if injuries occur. Im all for a few less plays for the 1-2 teamers if the FR can do the job

Is Estime getting his reps at the receiver position or as a returner? If this kid can help spread the field for the offense and is beating out older players, I'm all for him playing. What drives me crazy isn't so much redshirting or not, but playing a true freshman 1 to 4 games with very few snaps.

Estime is getting run as the number two in the slot.

I've been impressed by his pictures, his arms are jacked, he definitely passes the look test. So to with that speed is nice.

What drives me crazy isn't so much redshirting or not, but playing a true freshman 1 to 4 games with very few snaps.

Yeah, if you're not going to redshirt a freshman, he needs to be on the field enough to actually make an impact. If that's not in the cards, there's probably someone else on the roster with eligibility remaining that can do the job.

Yeah, if you're not going to redshirt a freshman, he needs to be on the field enough to actually make an impact. If that's not in the cards, there's probably someone else on the roster with eligibility remaining that can do the job.

In hindsight and if they had the depth they could have redshirted Macky and he'd be a redshirt junior right now...but maybe he would have left anyways depending on his draft status.

And Jake, I agree as long as they are getting a decent amount of reps or have an impact on the special teams.

In hindsight and if they had the depth they could have redshirted Macky and he'd be a redshirt junior right now...but maybe he would have left anyways depending on his draft status.

And Jake, I agree as long as they are getting a decent amount of reps or have an impact on the special teams.

6-1, 290 C's don't leave for the NFL Draft early.

not to mention that Estime is 20 years old. No way he'll ever be a 5th year senior, so the redshirt argument for him is a moot point.