Next step for ACC? | Syracusefan.com

Next step for ACC?

cto

Administrator
I heard this from a friend of mine who is very well connected at Notre Dame. Therefore, it may have at least an iota of truth in it.

ND has a standing offer from the ACC, and ND has been very interested in it. However, the decision to have a four-team NC playoff .. without regard to conference affiliation... has slowed the process down.

ND really likes the ACC's non-revenue sports, especially its women sports. They consider them to be ND's best conference fit.

The Big 10 is out of the picture. They were left standing at the altar twice ... when ND walked away just before the ceremony reached the "I do" stage. It is doubtful that the Big 10 will risk that kind of embarrassment a third time.

If/when ND joins the ACC UConn will be the team that comes in with them.

As I said... all of the above is from a friend of mine who is very close to Notre Dame. I have no independent way to verify any of it.

Kaiser

exploding_head.jpg

None of that sounds in any way outlandish.

I suspect ND has some form of "standing offer" from every conference in the country (well, the ACC, BE, B12 and maybe B1G anyway). And for a host of reasons it makes sense that the ACC is the most attractive to them (particularly now with more northern representation).

I think ND's conference affiliation entirely comes down to money (big shocket there). Independence is still the most lucrative option for them. I suspect it will continue to be for some time. If/when it isn't then they'll make a move.

And if I'm UConn being "tied" to ND joining the ACC would terrify and depress me.

CTO,
Is the standing offer an "all sports" offer? Do they have a non-football...Olympic sports offer from the ACC?

Seeing as she specifically mentioned the new football playoff as slowing things down, wouldn't it be right to assume this is about all sports? Why would it slow things down if football was not on the table?

Seeing as she specifically mentioned the new football playoff as slowing things down, wouldn't it be right to assume this is about all sports? Why would it slow things down if football was not on the table?
Yeah...I figured that out...just wondering if the non FB offer is on the table too?

I've said from the beginning UConn would be 16 if ND was 15. Rutgers will end up in the B10 as the last kid picked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I've said from the beginning UConn would be 16 if ND was 15. Rutgers will end up in the B10 as the last kid picked.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

If they get picked...

Why in the hell would the b10 want rutgirls? Oh it must be that they are NY/NJ's college team. Quite frankly im hoping notre dame goes nowhere and fades away like they have been for the kast 20 years. Always talked about and hyped but never relevant.

I think Louisville makes the most sense of the available teams. They have the most potential in FB and have the brightest future in BBall. I know their academics are sub par but having one bad school out of 16 shouldn't be a big deal. Ironically WV would be a better choice but they have too much money owed to the B12. Too bad Louisville didn't get that B12 bid last year instead.

Seems to me a conference consisting of the Big East Catholic Schools plus a few other Catholic Schools is a better home for NDs non revenue sports with football remaining Independent.

Georgetown, Villanova, Providence, St Johns, Marquette, DePaul and Notre Dame. Add in Xavier, Dayton, maybe St Louis. Way less travel time and expense. Very good Men's basketball and coverage in many of the major cities. Very similar to the original Big East.

And do you really believe the ACC would sign up to bring Calhoun and that circus into their conference?

ND ain't goin nowhere y'all...especially considering how they've found a seat at the "big boy" table. I simply don't see a motivation for them to join a conference.

With ESPN setting the market value for the Championship Bowls at $80m, ND's association with the Orange Bowl has just become quite lucrative. They've guaranteed themselves a regular spot in that bowl...along with a solid payday they'd keep all for themselves.

And while their current arrangement as an independent offers much more scheduling flexibility, joining the ACC means they actually need to 1) win the ACC and 2) share the Orange Bowl money with the ACC.

However, this all changes if NBC decides not to compete with E$PN and offers ND a bunk contract.

I heard this from a friend of mine who is very well connected at Notre Dame. Therefore, it may have at least an iota of truth in it.

ND has a standing offer from the ACC, and ND has been very interested in it. However, the decision to have a four-team NC playoff .. without regard to conference affiliation... has slowed the process down.

ND really likes the ACC's non-revenue sports, especially its women sports. They consider them to be ND's best conference fit.

The Big 10 is out of the picture. They were left standing at the altar twice ... when ND walked away just before the ceremony reached the "I do" stage. It is doubtful that the Big 10 will risk that kind of embarrassment a third time.

As I said... all of the above is from a friend of mine who is very close to Notre Dame. I have no independent way to verify any of it.

Thanks for posting: however:

1) What about the key goal of ND to play a national football schedule, being a major obstacle?

Does ND "really like" ACC football?

ND is unlikely to qualify for the 4 team playoff more than once every 40 years, based on their recent performances and would have every opportunity to qualify in the ACC, regardless.

2) What does "slow the process down" mean?

3) What is the actual motivator for ND to want to give up their national football schedule, unique TV network coverage, control of 3d tier rights, status as a unique independent, association with the other BB only schools in the Big East.

Makes sense to me. The ACC already established the pecking order...they wanted SU #1, UConn #2 and Pitt #3.

If the ACC expands again, BC will surely try and block UConn from getting in. But things will be different.

However, I believe SU and Pitt. if push came to shove, would prefer to bring UConn into the conference before Rutgers.

SU obviously wants the NYC market and sees NJ as a valuable recruiting area for football. UConn is not nearly the threat to the NYC market that RU is. Connecticut is not nearly the fertile recruiting area that NJ is.

Pitt has historically relied on NJ for football recruiting very heavily (and doesn't recruit New England almost at all). Further, they recruit NYC and NJ hard for basketball. A strong RU would hurt Pitt. They will do what they can to prevent that, as will Syracuse. With SU and Pitt voting as a block, I don't see BC being able to keep UConn out. Especially since the ACC clearly wanted UConn over Pitt (and Rutgers) in the first place.

The day SU and Pitt came into the ACC was the day RU's fate was sealed, at least as far as the ACC goes. I don't see them in the conference unless there are are defections.

Don't see ND joining a conference unless their revenue becomes a problem.

That could happen if the new exclusive TV contracts leave them wanting.

Also, to get the Orange Bowl money, they have to qualify. I'll assume they will have to meet some sort of win threshold. That is no guarantee. Teams want guaranteed payouts (like conference teams get). Athletic departments have budgets. Even Notre Dame's.

So while I don't see this happening tomorrow, it's definitely not out of the question when they start renegotiating contracts. In the meantime, I'm not holding my breath.

This thread falls in line with what I have been told by my NCState source. It should be pointed out that other conferences have offered Notre Dame a seat in their conference...but fact remains the ACC is the better place (among other articles go to ESPN and read the Notre Dame fit with all five major conferences--ACC wins by a mile).
Now the question is does Notre Dame make a move and is it for all sports including football; is it for "OTHER SPORTS" not football and when? Here is what I have been told and why we have not heard much about Notre Dame and Orange Bowl and "OTHER SPORTS"
1. ACC and Notre Dame are a good fit culturally, academically, sport wise and Notre Dame alumns in ACC footprint
2. Notre Dame is not in a rush to lose its football independence
3. The Big East still exists in some form...but now that 'Cuse and most likely Pitt leave in '13 the conference is losing its lustre one year quicker than Notre Dame believed
--note loss of BCS status also gone
--note TV contract renewal not going to be anywhere as good as previously thought
(Now this may come as a surprise, but what happens to Penn State Univ...does it get the death penalty; does the B1G want them out; would ACC take Penn State...if B1G forces Penn State out what happens to teams changing conferences--does ACC act quickly or stay in holding pattern?--but is being discussed by ACC)
So what seems to be going on with ACC/Notre Dame/Orange Bowl? The ACC wants Notre Dame, and Notre Dame wants ACC to take its "OTHER SPORTS"
but there is a hang up:
1. ACC wants a commitment that in a specified time frame Notre Dame will commit to bringing its football team into the ACC
2. Notre Dame has not agreed to this as yet
3. As the finality of how and what the ORANGE BOWL partnership with the ACC/Notre Dame is done, it will signal whether the ACC and Notre Dame are sowing the seeds for the 15th team in the ACC--
So far, neither the ACC or Notre Dame have blinked...in other words, neither has come off their position--no "OTHER SPORTS" without some kind of football committment by Notre Dame. And all this without considering what other conferences are trying to do with expamsion...just pleased we are going to ACC in '13 and football season is nearly here. (will update asI am told more)

This thread falls in line with what I have been told by my NCState source. It should be pointed out that other conferences have offered Notre Dame a seat in their conference...but fact remains the ACC is the better place (among other articles go to ESPN and read the Notre Dame fit with all five major conferences--ACC wins by a mile).
Now the question is does Notre Dame make a move and is it for all sports including football; is it for "OTHER SPORTS" not football and when? Here is what I have been told and why we have not heard much about Notre Dame and Orange Bowl and "OTHER SPORTS"
1. ACC and Notre Dame are a good fit culturally, academically, sport wise and Notre Dame alumns in ACC footprint
2. Notre Dame is not in a rush to lose its football independence
3. The Big East still exists in some form...but now that 'Cuse and most likely Pitt leave in '13 the conference is losing its lustre one year quicker than Notre Dame believed
--note loss of BCS status also gone
--note TV contract renewal not going to be anywhere as good as previously thought
(Now this may come as a surprise, but what happens to Penn State Univ...does it get the death penalty; does the B1G want them out; would ACC take Penn State...if B1G forces Penn State out what happens to teams changing conferences--does ACC act quickly or stay in holding pattern?--but is being discussed by ACC)
So what seems to be going on with ACC/Notre Dame/Orange Bowl? The ACC wants Notre Dame, and Notre Dame wants ACC to take its "OTHER SPORTS"
but there is a hang up:
1. ACC wants a commitment that in a specified time frame Notre Dame will commit to bringing its football team into the ACC
2. Notre Dame has not agreed to this as yet
3. As the finality of how and what the ORANGE BOWL partnership with the ACC/Notre Dame is done, it will signal whether the ACC and Notre Dame are sowing the seeds for the 15th team in the ACC--
So far, neither the ACC or Notre Dame have blinked...in other words, neither has come off their position--no "OTHER SPORTS" without some kind of football committment by Notre Dame. And all this without considering what other conferences are trying to do with expamsion...just pleased we are going to ACC in '13 and football season is nearly here. (will update asI am told more)

Always enjoy the updates. thanks!

Notre Dame will never, ever, ever, EVER join the B1G. It has never seriously considered it, and it would take everyone involved with Notre Dame from before 1990 to be dead in the ground for it to be considered.

There's no way The big10 forces Ped State out but if they did then the ACC should immediately take them in. In 5 to 10 years this scandal will be ancient history and Ped St will still be selling a hundred thousand tickets to home football games.