Next Year Staff Changes. Big's Coach? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Next Year Staff Changes. Big's Coach?

People better get used to not having a true center. It’s not going to happen. Red wants bigs who can defend on the perimeter and able to shoot. The days of a low post, back to the basket post man are over.
He wants that... but the first center he brings in is McLeod??

We have to get a rebounding guru into this program somehow. Make it a priority. If we get even a single rebound against UNC, it will only be because the heels get bored.

Serious question.

Who gets the credit for developing Jesse. Was it SU coaches or the camps and national teams he spent his summers with?
Heck i was going to suggest it was Huggy Bear and the month and half he was at WVU before he got canned! Or maybe it was his money hungry two timing dad!

Heck i was going to suggest it was Huggy Bear and the month and half he was at WVU before he got canned! Or maybe it was his money hungry two timing dad!

Considering his senior year was good and his junior year he was foul prone. He really only had one year that he was consistently good. Since he went overseas each summer he may have been coached up there. I really don't know.

But thanks for the smart azz reply.

Why would we have to see a coach leave before adding another, especially a dedicated big man coach? The current staff doesn't need to change if Red doesn't want to (though he probably should consider it), but it can be enhanced.

Aren't we able to add 2 more coaches to the staff (non-recruiters)? Why wouldn't we do that? We haven't we done that?

The constant through the decades is an irrational fan base. That's true of about every college.

I lived in Syracuse from 1981-1986 when the take on JB was that he couldn't recruit, and he couldn't win with the immense talent he had on board.

Red is doing just fine.

Poking the bear!

Give us the money to hire more staff, and have a height requirement for the bigs coach.

Let Griff coach guards.

I wouldn't be surprised to see GMac get another coaching gig somewhere.
I’d be interested to see who Red brings in when Gerry or another assistant does leave. I wonder if he goes “outside the family” or does something like grab DNich from Wake.

I was happy he went with Straughn - it showed he’s not afraid to hire someone who has no previous Cuse ties.

The constant through the decades is an irrational fan base. That's true of about every college.

I lived in Syracuse from 1981-1986 when the take on JB was that he couldn't recruit, and he couldn't win with the immense talent he had on board.

Red is doing just fine.
But, the “decades” are no longer constant. We had, in that era, the tools to be the marquee program in our region and conference. The Dome was a new, shiny, beacon. Things have changed. Considerably. The Dome is less special. We are in a NIL era. Media covers everything, streaming gives a platform to everyone, and we are in someone else’s league.

It’s probably truer to say “Red might do just fine.”
“Is doing” is generous, depending on what “just fine” means. We may have been just fine for the last five years, but why would we want just fine? Is that irrational for an invested fan(atic)? I guess the answer is in the word itself. A fanatic is not so much rational.

But, the “decades” are no longer constant. We had, in that era, the tools to be the marquee program in our region and conference. The Dome was a new, shiny, beacon. Things have changed. Considerably. The Dome is less special. We are in a NIL era. Media covers everything, streaming gives a platform to everyone, and we are in someone else’s league.

It’s probably truer to say “Red might do just fine.”
“Is doing” is generous, depending on what “just fine” means. We may have been just fine for the last five years, but why would we want just fine? Is that irrational for an invested fan(atic)? I guess the answer is in the word itself. A fanatic is not so much rational.
I’d say the Dome is even more special. It’s just so different and big…and the fans show out when the team is producing for big games.

I've long thought of the Dome as a limiting factor, and still do. Yes, there's a lot of history and when it's packed there are few venues that can compete, but that hasn't been very often for the last 10 years - Which is more a problem with the team performance than it is on the venue, but still. People show up for Duke, UNC, GTown and other marquee games but when there's less than 20K in attendance it looks bad on TV and sounds like a library.

If we can get back to being a perennial or near-perennial tournament team maybe that'll change, but there's a reason why the nationwide trend over the last 5-10 years has been towards smaller venues rather than bigger ones.

I've long thought of the Dome as a limiting factor, and still do. Yes, there's a lot of history and when it's packed there are few venues that can compete, but that hasn't been very often for the last 10 years - Which is more a problem with the team performance than it is on the venue, but still. People show up for Duke, UNC, GTown and other marquee games but when there's less than 20K in attendance it looks bad on TV and sounds like a library.

If we can get back to being a perennial or near-perennial tournament team maybe that'll change, but there's a reason why the nationwide trend over the last 5-10 years has been towards smaller venues rather than bigger ones.

Well yeah they're generating money with suites and things like that, not raw #s of seats.

Attendance stinks at a lot of venues not named Duke and UNC and UVa, even our lousy 19k nights are still big deals in comparison.

Attendance will return when we start beating good teams again. It’s a chore getting up there midweek. 10-15 years ago Syracuse basketball was a must see event. Getting other for a team going nowhere can be a bit of a chore even for someone like me 20 minutes from the dome and I consider myself a diehard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom