Next year's class | Syracusefan.com

Next year's class

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Tell me about them (not a big recruiting guy).

We've got a top 5 class next year, with Richardson the most likely to contribute right away.

Any chance Howard or Lydon play?

Will Diagne be a back-up center?

Lydon will play, both the 3 and 4.
Diagne will back up the 4 and 5.
I feel both will contribute.
Not sure about Howard - he'll probably require a year of seasoning (imo)

Howard will be stuck behind to many other guys

Richardson will get limited minutes behind Cooney

Diagne is not a Center so not sure

Lydon's body is not ready to play at this level

2-3zone said:
Howard will be stuck behind to many other guys Richardson will get limited minutes behind Cooney Diagne is not a Center so not sure Lydon's body is not ready to play at this level

I feel really bad for those schools whose classes are ranked #5 - #n.

Right now its all true but it will be on this class to grow with time and make this team into a surprise top 25 squad. Its the 7th best class in the country and is far from lacking in talent. Mcculloughs body wasnt ready for this level either. Lydons skillset and willingness to mix it up makes him valuable. On offense as a stretch 4 he gives us options as do they all.

Mike G , Roberson, cooney and joseph become the core. The rest need to fit around and do their part. I wouldn't sleep on richardson or diagne let alone howard/lydon. It will take them time but dont be surprised if they get rolling and JB has the train rolling better than anticipated.

So even though they are listed as a top 5 class, you think they basically suck.

Who are you? One of the guys from Syracuse ESPN radio? Steve Neilam maybe? You've probably never seen any of the recruits even play. Diagne can be just as good as Bryant. Lydon is the most undervalued in this class. He played on the U18 US team. I agree Howard needs another year, but your analysis is quite off on every other player.

Who are you? One of the guys from Syracuse ESPN radio? Steve Neilam maybe? You've probably never seen any of the recruits even play. Diagne can be just as good as Bryant. Lydon is the most undervalued in this class. He played on the U18 US team. I agree Howard needs another year, but your analysis is quite off on every other player.
To be fair, didn't BJ have a good tour with U18 team last summer? Wasn't he hurt or sick for a couple of games but played great in others. Just saying.

Well he has time to get his body ready, we need him next year.

To be fair, didn't BJ have a good tour with U18 team last summer? Wasn't he hurt or sick for a couple of games but played great in others. Just saying.

Well if you read this board lately BJ was apparently about to become a combination of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, so based on that Lydon ought to be pretty serviceable!

Know your facts sir. He'd led the team in scoring 18ppg and 7rpg. He had 11pts going into the second quarter before landing on someone's foot only to hobble through the rest of the game. He doesn't get hurt they win the Chip easily. Don't put out the untruth or at least go back and do your homework before posting such lies.

Howard - think a more raw version of MCW. I'm not saying he's ever going to be as good as MCW, but that's who his game and body type remind me of. He's still learning to play PG, though, and is - at best - a streaky shooter. He's got a solid handle, he's a good passer but from when I've watched him play, he seems to try to get a little too flashy sometimes and it leads to turnovers.

Richardson - probably the most "ready" to contribute early, though it's going to be tough for him to take minutes from Cooney and Gbinije. Good size and frame, solid but not spectacular athlete, good shooter (he hit 74 threes in 27 games as a senior). He's fundamentally sound, and a scorer, pure and simple. His defense needs work, though.

Lydon - I think in five years we'll look back and realize he was the best player in this class, but from a physical standpoint he needs to hit the weight room hard. 6-8, working on becoming a small forward. He can shoot, he's very athletic. He led the USA U18 team in rebounding last summer, too. I think he's gonna be a Dome favorite sooner than later because he works hard and can throw down some highlight reel dunks as well as knock down threes.

Diagne - a little undersized to play the 5, but we're going to need him to play there at least some. He's more of a 4 but necessity will dictate he rolls over to the 5 depending on 1) Chino's development and 2) Coleman's health. He can be an animal on the glass, and his offensive game is extremely underrated. He's got a smooth looking jumper that he can knock down pretty consistently out to 15 feet. I think he'll surprise people.

Know your facts sir. He'd led the team in scoring 18ppg and 7rpg. He had 11pts going into the second quarter before landing on someone's foot only to hobble through the rest of the game. He doesn't get hurt they win the Chip easily. Don't put out the untruth or at least go back and do your homework before posting such lies.
Isn't that exactly what SBU72 said? He got hurt but otherwise played well?

In the highlights I've seen Lydon reminds me of the lanky forwards on Wisconsin. Can shoot it from outside and drive to the basket. It's really going to come down to how the new guys mesh with the returning players and how well they all play within the system. They will have the summer to get to know each other and start developing a bond.

OGBJ20 said:
My fault SBU72 I stand corrected. Either I'm suffering from dislexia or still hung over

Or your son has suffered too much undo criticism that you are compelled to defend him at all times, understandably.

Last edited:
As far as I am concerned there will be plenty of opportunities for any or all of the newcomers to contribute. Sometimes you just never know who will be able to make the jump & who will need some seasoning.

I think the linchpin in this whole thing will be Joseph. If he can make the jump & get the job done at PG that will define the rolls that others play. If Joseph doesn't make that jump then G will get most of the minutes @ PG & that will open up opportunities up front for Lydon & Diagne. I don't see Jimmy letting Joseph get as many minutes as he got last season wo big improvement in his play.

So here is my take in a nutshell:

C - If healthy, DC2 starts, but he will probably be only good for 25 to 30 minutes a game. That leaves Diagne battling Obokoh for the backup 10 to 15 minutes per game. I think Diagne wins that battle.

PF - Roberson easily & getting big minutes. Probably Diagne & Lydon battling for the backup minutes. Ideally, Diagne get his as the backup C & that leaves some time for Lydon to give us another trey threat on the floor.

SF - As mentioned above, Joseph is the linchpin. I am going to assume Joseph improves enough to be the primary PG, which will leave G getting the big minutes at SF. Backup minutes could go to Lydon or to Richardson if Jimmy goes small. I would say Lydon due to his size at the back of the Zone will be the favorite for these backup minutes.

SG - Well, obviously Trevor starts. I hope Jimmy doesn't run him into the ground again & that Malachi can get his 10 or so mpg as the backup 2G

PG - Team really needs Joseph to improve to at least adequate. If not G has to move to the backcourt, which would probably leave us hurting upfront. Howard is transitioning to the point, so it is really hard to see him not needing an adjustment year, but one never knows for sure. Hopefully, he can play just well enough to be the backup for Kaleb.

The good news is that several guys might be able to be multi-positional. G can play the 1,2, or 3. Diagne might be able to play 4 or 5. lydon probably can play the 3 or the 4. Maybe richardson can swing between the 2 & the 3.

In the end, improvement often comes from those who are already here. Can Joseph step up ? Can DC2 stay healthy & play up to his potential ? Can Roberson be a star ? Does G or Trevor have another level?

Many, many questions. This will be a team with potential, but in the end if DC2 and/or Joseph can't get the job done we will probably be quite mediocre.

better be damn good, because they are the foundation class we will have to rely on to get us out of the wilderness. I think they have a good chance. I'm not a recruitnik, but I like that the staff seems to have gotten guys with better BB skills, especially shooting. Poor shooting is probably the biggest reason we have been so offensively challenged the past few seasons. I see the SU offense rejuvenated based on the BB skills of this class.

Tell me about them (not a big recruiting guy).

We've got a top 5 class next year, with Richardson the most likely to contribute right away.

Any chance Howard or Lydon play?

Will Diagne be a back-up center?

What were our classes ranked the last 5+ years? Curious

According to the recruiting site that's named after what Georgetown and Syracuse are to each other:

2014 - 24th
2013 - 11th
2012 - 18th

Just for comparison, that same service has us ranked 5th this year.

As far as I am concerned there will be plenty of opportunities for any or all of the newcomers to contribute. Sometimes you just never know who will be able to make the jump & who will need some seasoning.

I think the linchpin in this whole thing will be Joseph. If he can make the jump & get the job done at PG that will define the rolls that others play. If Joseph doesn't make that jump then G will get most of the minutes @ PG & that will open up opportunities up front for Lydon & Diagne. I don't see Jimmy letting Joseph get as many minutes as he got last season wo big improvement in his play.

So here is my take in a nutshell:

C - If healthy, DC2 starts, but he will probably be only good for 25 to 30 minutes a game. That leaves Diagne battling Obokoh for the backup 10 to 15 minutes per game. I think Diagne wins that battle.

PF - Roberson easily & getting big minutes. Probably Diagne & Lydon battling for the backup minutes. Ideally, Diagne get his as the backup C & that leaves some time for Lydon to give us another trey threat on the floor.

SF - As mentioned above, Joseph is the linchpin. I am going to assume Joseph improves enough to be the primary PG, which will leave G getting the big minutes at SF. Backup minutes could go to Lydon or to Richardson if Jimmy goes small. I would say Lydon due to his size at the back of the Zone will be the favorite for these backup minutes.

SG - Well, obviously Trevor starts. I hope Jimmy doesn't run him into the ground again & that Malachi can get his 10 or so mpg as the backup 2G

PG - Team really needs Joseph to improve to at least adequate. If not G has to move to the backcourt, which would probably leave us hurting upfront. Howard is transitioning to the point, so it is really hard to see him not needing an adjustment year, but one never knows for sure. Hopefully, he can play just well enough to be the backup for Kaleb.

The good news is that several guys might be able to be multi-positional. G can play the 1,2, or 3. Diagne might be able to play 4 or 5. lydon probably can play the 3 or the 4. Maybe richardson can swing between the 2 & the 3.

In the end, improvement often comes from those who are already here. Can Joseph step up ? Can DC2 stay healthy & play up to his potential ? Can Roberson be a star ? Does G or Trevor have another level?

Many, many questions. This will be a team with potential, but in the end if DC2 and/or Joseph can't get the job done we will probably be quite mediocre.

Great post!

Here's my take:

KJ2 plays much better in his second season.

Tyler Roberson is the x-factor in my mind. I think he can evolve into a superstar.

TC and Malachi play based on who is hitting threes

DC2 continues to struggle with knee problems.

Diagne becomes the primary center.

Obokoh is no way 6'10". He's 6'8" at most or he plays like he's 6'8".

G will be consistent and just as good.

TC will be about the same. TC will probably be solely responsible for winning 2 or 3 games.

Howard will probably red-shirt.

Lydon has a great jump shot. If he can play defense, then he could be a very nice surprise for our team. He reminds me of BJ but a lot taller and a lot more muscle. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a bust. The D1 game is very fast. I hope Lydon can compete.

chino1.jpg

Last edited:

The number gets skewed if you have more than 2 recruits. The class rankings are really just for UK fans. Everyone else knows it's just a setup so when the UK team finally loses the UK fans have to stomach the most crow!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom