next year's starting Backcourt | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

next year's starting Backcourt

If 72 starts I'm assuming TT would be at the 4 and Battle would still be out there.

You're not wrong, but offense could be a big issue the entire year.

In 13-14 we couldn't score at all and that was with 4 guys on the roster who've seen NBA minutes and CJ Fair.

Thorpe may be a better scorer than Frank but if he has TO issues like he did at USF then Franks going to get some time.

Thompson probably starts at the 5 though.

Another question is why haven't we tweaked our offense and out-of-bounds plays in a long time?

UGH.

It's the construction of the offense as well. Can't play ISO ball all over the court without those kinds of elite talents. Again, against decent defenses, (UVA really wasn't a typical UVA defensive squad and we caught Duke before they got it together somewhat) we would just stand around and launch threes off of one pass often. Man White made some amazing contested shots constantly. Gotta move the defenses around and not sure if schematically we'll ever be able to do that with JB.

It's the construction of the offense as well. Can't play ISO ball all over the court without those kinds of elite talents. Again, against decent defenses, (UVA really wasn't a typical UVA defensive squad and we caught Duke before they got it together somewhat) we would just stand around and launch threes off of one pass often. Man White made some amazing contested shots constantly. Gotta move the defenses around and not sure if schematically we'll ever be able to do that with JB.

Statistically Virginia's defense last year was better than their defense the year before.

Statistically Virginia's defense last year was better than their defense the year before.

Well something is wrong with that. Classic stats can be misleading. I don't think anybody would say Guy/Jerome and some others were typical UVA good defenders. They probably faced easier competition last season as well. I'll ask some friends down there what they think who have some ties to the UVA program soon. I'll be in Charlottesville for a month in a couple of weeks.

Well something is wrong with that. Classic stats can be misleading. I don't think anybody would say Guy/Jerome and some others were typical UVA good defenders. They probably faced easier competition last season as well. I'll ask some friends down there what they think who have some ties to the UVA program soon. I'll be in Charlottesville for a month in a couple of weeks.

2nd best in the country according to KenPom.

2nd best in the country according to KenPom.

KenPom can suck it. That's bunk. I'll ask my colleagues down there. Just like how Georgia Tech was ranked 5th in the country and Alabama 10th. Or Syracuse even as high as 30 in AdjO. Bunk. GT, Syracuse, Alabama were not good.

KenPom can suck it. That's bunk. I'll ask my colleagues down there. Just like how Georgia Tech was ranked 5th in the country and Alabama 10th. Or Syracuse even as high as 30 in AdjO. Bunk. GT, Syracuse, Alabama were not good.

Well they've been pretty accurate on the top teams year after year.

You can hate the offensive scheme, but offense wasn't the main reason we lost games last year. I think most people agree that the defense was the worst it's ever been and I don't need stats to look at that. All you had to do was watch the BC and St. John's games.

I have a hard time thinking UVA wasn't good on D when they gave up 43 to UNC and 53 to Louisville

Well they've been pretty accurate on the top teams year after year.

You can hate the offensive scheme, but offense wasn't the main reason we lost games last year. I think most people agree that the defense was the worst it's ever been and I don't need stats to look at that. All you had to do was watch the BC and St. John's games.

I have a hard time thinking UVA wasn't good on D when they gave up 43 to UNC and 53 to Louisville

I hear ya but I still believe these stats for last year are grossly misleading and I am a KenPom guy, fyi. Louisville for some reason has trouble with UVA always just like we do with Pitt (more Dixon or at least his recruits). That was a bad game plain and simple re: UNC. Roy and the whole team admitted they were off.

No question the defense was more of the problem. But, this was still a team who barely scored 50 against Miami in the ACCT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom