Next years team... | Syracusefan.com

Next years team...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Curious what people are imagining/feeling from next years team right now. Honest opinons.

Honestly I am alittle worried, more worried then any Cuse team of the last 6-7 years, funny because 5 months ago we were saying it would be our best of the last 7 years. I chalk up Ennis and Grant as gone right now without looking back.

Honestly, I don't know if we will have a true isolation player and fear that Kaleb could be our best isolation player. Good teams want 2.5-3 isolation guys for a tough bucket against great defense, its so key. This could be a problem unless we use Kaleb as a scoring pg who can also bring the ball up. Outside of him I think Mccullough has the best chance to be a isolation player possibly dajuan or Rak. But, Rak has a back to the basket game now, not so much dajuan. Thats alot of weight asking our fresh to be isolation players especially if we ask both. BJ and Gbinije showed signs of shooting off the dribble, but still are a long ways away from shooting a high percentage doing so( I could see them as a .5 maybe). I don't thinks Rons handle is good enough to be despite a nice sidestep pullup.

We only return one proven scorer in Cooney. And our 3 Freshmen(not named Ennis) and Gbinije look light years off from stepping up offensvively. Then again we only returned CJ this year. And Grant looked light years off last year and Cooney wasn't to Shakey.

I worry about our forwards we don't have a returning perimeter forward even close to ready that draws alittle bit of flag, although we have roberson and bj maybe ready to make the jump. A perimeter 3/4 combo forward takes time to build unlike a 2/3 like BJ is becoming. That being said I think Mccullough will be most ready for that roll unless BJ makes the jump or Gbinije starts killing it off perimeter drives. Problem is, that pulls Mccullough's length out of the high post and the paint. JB knows you have to have a perimeter forward out there. Although I would like to think there is a chance of seeing Mccullough at center to bring a center out of the middle to shoot for the first time since Rony, he is awfully skinny.

Once again I worry we won't have a tall defender up top to guard well. I am putting the pressure on Ron and Gbinije. They have to extend their verticle quickness defensively and Ron has to build his arm strength to be up 24-7 right now. If we don't have one next year it could be two years in a row without a pressure on the ball defender. We also lose Baye. That being said, can Chino extend the defense some because I don't see Rak or Dajuan doing it?

For those who have seen Kaleb's game do you think he will have a good freshmen pullup jumper in the lane? And do you think he will be ready to run a no post up offense where he can take over off the drive and score a big bucket maybe off a perimeter screen?

Mccullough looks like a absolute beast in the paint but in seriousness his verticle strength (despite his long arms) and motor could always use touching up. He will probably only be here for one so I hope hes really ready for the speed adjustment of the college level.

Anyway curious what is going through others minds the last time we visited this question in depth Grant and Ennis were both returning.

Last edited:
Not worried at all. I'm working from the assumption that Grant and Ennis are early entrants to the NBA draft, and Thickburger and Baye are not granted a 5th year of eligibility by the NCAA for some mysterious reason.

So, here's what you've got -

C - Rak, Coleman, Chino

F - Rak (?), McCullough, Roberson, Johnson, Gbinije (?)

G - Cooney, Joseph, Gbinije, Buss

Not unreasonable that the center position is solid. Rak's coming in to his own, Coleman will be semi-experienced, and practice reports are that Chino is a decent rebounder.

Forward brings in a big time blue chipper with McCullough, Rak might still play there, and I expect a free for all between Roberson, Johnson and Gbinije for PT. I'm rooting for BJ to earn some PT for scoring/shooting reasons.

At guard Joseph probably starts, Cooney should be a team leader vocally and by performance, Gbinije will have some experience, and I'm interested to see if Buss improves and settles in as a combo guard.

That's a talented team. I don't have any worries.

Not worried at all. I'm working from the assumption that Grant and Ennis are early entrants to the NBA draft, and Thickburger and Baye are not granted a 5th year of eligibility by the NCAA for some mysterious reason.

So, here's what you've got -

C - Rak, Coleman, Chino

F - Rak (?), McCullough, Roberson, Johnson, Gbinije (?)

G - Cooney, Joseph, Gbinije, Buss

Not unreasonable that the center position is solid. Rak's coming in to his own, Coleman will be semi-experienced, and practice reports are that Chino is a decent rebounder.

Forward brings in a big time blue chipper with McCullough, Rak might still play there, and I expect a free for all between Roberson, Johnson and Gbinije for PT. I'm rooting for BJ to earn some PT for scoring/shooting reasons.

At guard Joseph probably starts, Cooney should be a team leader vocally and by performance, Gbinije will have some experience, and I'm interested to see if Buss improves and settles in as a combo guard.

That's a talented team. I don't have any worries.
I agree. I think the success of the team next year depends not on our guard play (Cooney, G, Kaleb will be fine) but rather the development of Roberson. If he makes a huge sophomore leap, dare I say it might not be that big of a drop off after this year. McCullough will be money. I'd say definitely top 25

If one of Ennis or Grant comes back, we will be a top 15 team again.

If both come back, top 3.

Last edited:
I agree. I think the success of the team next year depends not on our guard play (Cooney, G, Kaleb will be fine) but rather the development of Roberson. If he makes a huge sophomore leap, dare I say it might not be that big of a drop off after this year. McCullough will be money. I'd say definitely top 25

If one of Ennis or Grant comes back, we will be a top 15 team again.

If both come back, top 3.

If both come back I see back to back National Championships.

worst case scenario, we lose ennis and grant.

Lineup next year for me would be
1 KJ - Buss and G backup
2 Coon - buss G BJ
3 TRob - G, Cmac, BJ
4 Rak - Cmac
5 Dc - Rak, Chino

I have to say I think KJ will be fine, will have is freshman bumps, Buss will have all off season to work, and I think he will play fine next year. G needs to get more confidence.
We know what Coon can do, Already spoke on Buss and G, BJ will be interesting, to see where he plays next year. But with that said I think he will be fine too, working in the gym and working on his confidence.
TRob will start and have to be thrown into it, will definitely have to work on his shot.
I think Cmac is ready for life in college basketball.
I think Rak could be a beast next year with what he has shown these past few games.
DC depending on health, who knows.
Chino has been said to be a good rebounder have to see what he can do on the offensive end.

Unless we have another run to the final four Ennis will be back. He is going to be a good pro but he will be drafted mid to late first round, therefore will be drafted to a good team with an established PG. That being said young pg's do not improve riding the pine, another year would move him up to top of the draft and on a team after Soph that he can step in and play. I wish Grant would stay as he could really take the year to develop a mid range game and be the primary scorer on a team but he most likelly is gone. Either way they will be fine. I really believe from what I have seen latelly that Christmas is about to come into his own. They got 3 guys riding the pine, and one redshirted that could be starters on may teams. Also, if you have talent someone always steps up. Look at Cooney and Ennis who would have thought.

Roberson and McCullough will be fine at the 3/4 next year.

Bees do you predict we will see more of Mccullough on the perimeter or Roberson on the offensive end and will this change with BJ or Gbinije?

orangefan13 said:
Bees do you predict we will see more of Mccullough on the perimeter or Roberson on the offensive end and will this change with BJ or Gbinije?

As long as something stupid doesn't happen like it did with Roberson this year I think Roberson will be at the 3 and McCullough at the 4.

Its beyond me how Roberson puts up 52 in a summer league game against a few nba players but his season high is like 4.

If folks are correct above the team will be very good, meaning Mcc so good he jumps ahead of Coleman, Roberson devolops enough to jumb Mike B in a starting lineup where JB starts uperclassmen unless they are way ahead of the frosh.

There do seem like a lot of question marks now. Still trying to come to terms with losing Ennis.

I don't know who will back up KJ2. I think the whole MG experiment as backup pg has not worked. It will be interesting to see if that is abandoned. But the only alternative seems to be Buss and he seems to have a ways to go.

I don't know what forward can produce the mid-range game. There could be an opening for MG, or the long shot BJ at the 3 to get some time.

On the positive side, the centers look good -Rak/DC2 and a sprinkling of first half developmental minutes for Chino. The pf should be good to excellent with the combo of McC and Roberson. The 2g looks set with a junior Cooney who should add a little to his game.

It's not the '14-'15 once imagined, but still has potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom