NFL FA thread | Syracusefan.com

NFL FA thread

Alsacs

Living Legend
The money being spent is insane.

Malik Jackson 5 yrs. 95 million 55 million guaranteed- Jacksonville
Janoris Jenkins, Oliver Vernon, Damon Harrison- 190 million 95 million guaranteed- NY Giants
Brock Osweiler- 4 yrs 72 million, 50 million guaranteed- Houston.
Marvin Jones 5 yrs 40 milllion, 20 million guaranteed-Detroit

Meanwhile my team loses FA for the 15th straight year.

I guess Robert Griffin or Colin Kaepernick will be the Denver QB next year.

The Jints had better win now, just like the Broncos did. Otherwise, they could be looking at some years in the wilderness. That's some serious salary cap dead weight they just took on.

I love Elway's stances on not over paying or getting into a bidding war except rare scenarios, like Von. No one knows who the qb will be in Denver next year. A bunch of wild speculation is all. I love not paying 18 mil/yr for Brock. I'm fine with rolling out Simeon for a season or a 1 season rental and saving that cash to spend on the team. Maybe spend the 31st pick on Prescott or Lynch, if they love either. I know Elway is high on Prescott. Then better draft pick next year and possibly better FA class of qb's (although I haven't looked).

The Jints had better win now, just like the Broncos did. Otherwise, they could be looking at some years in the wilderness. That's some serious salary cap dead weight they just took on.

Sort of... after two years, they can cut all their new guys and get most of the money back.

The Giants are becoming the Washington Redskins, spend a ton of money in free agency, and still lose.

Jacksonville starting to put together a nice team. Already a young excited offense (Robinson, Bortles, Yeldon, Hurns). Now splashing some money on the defense.

The Giants are becoming the Washington Redskins, spend a ton of money in free agency, and still lose.

The Redskins paid over the hill names, The Giants are paying guys on the younger side.

It's a 4-5 year window of Eli left, chips in.

The Redskins paid over the hill names, The Giants are paying guys on the younger side.

It's a 4-5 year window of Eli left, chips in.

You're right about the age of the players. But, if the Jints can't build an O-line from whatever is left, Eli won't have 4-5 years. I see Reese doing what the Broncos did, build such an incredible D that a mediocre O can afford to just not lose games as opposed to winning them. Problem is, unless Olivier is the next Von Miller, it may not work.

How good is Chris Hogan Bills fans?

I don't get this signing of an offer sheet by NE. Hogan doesn't seem like a stretch the field type of guy.

Pats are front loading the offer sheet so it is unlikely the Bills will match. The cap hit for 2016 is 5.5 million and the offer is 3 years 12 million.

How good is Chris Hogan Bills fans?

I don't get this signing of an offer sheet by NE. Hogan doesn't seem like a stretch the field type of guy.

Pats are front loading the offer sheet so it is unlikely the Bills will match. The cap hit for 2016 is 5.5 million and the offer is 3 years 12 million.

Hogan barely made the Bills roster last year, but ended up being the #3 or 4 WR by the end of the year. He's good at getting open, and was surprisingly good at getting open deep down the field, but he has terrible hands. I believe he had one of the worst drop %'s in the NFL last year and that's basically been his reputation for years. There's absolutely no chance the Bills touch that $5.5 million cap number. It's ludicrous.

His ability to gain separation quickly should make him a good fit in the Amendola/Edelman roles of that offense, but I really can't believe how much money New England is giving him.

You're right about the age of the players. But, if the Jints can't build an O-line from whatever is left, Eli won't have 4-5 years. I see Reese doing what the Broncos did, build such an incredible D that a mediocre O can afford to just not lose games as opposed to winning them. Problem is, unless Olivier is the next Von Miller, it may not work.

Agreed they need more line help, a 2nd WR and figure out their running game. The move on Cruz is a risk and no RB really has distinguished himself in that backfield. But the defense is far better today - hard to say what they could've done with those guys last season.

The Giants are taking Zeke Elliot at 10 if he is on the board. IMO.

Hogan had an injury last year that came out after the season which may be why he dropped so many passes. He will probably be great for New England. He can get open and like Melancer said, is sneaky at beating his man down the field.

Maybe for NE he's worth that money but not for Buffalo. He only became the #3 WR because (shocker) Harvin got hurt. Otherwise he wouldn't have seen the field much with Watkins, Woods and Clay.

The money is severely frontloaded to make it hard for Buffalo to match. 5.5 yr 1, 2.25 year 2, 4.75 year 3

4 million for a FA WR is not an overpay when Jones got 8 million per year from Detroit and Sanu got 7 million per year from Atlanta.

I trust Belichick knows what he is doing. The Pats are saving their cap room to resign their own guys for next year.
Collins/Hightower/Jones need to get paid and they have 15 million in cap room now before Brady's extension kicks in to maybe give more.

4 million for a FA WR is not an overpay when Jones got 8 million per year from Detroit and Sanu got 7 million per year from Atlanta.

I trust Belichick knows what he is doing. The Pats are saving their cap room to resign their own guys for next year.
Collins/Hightower/Jones need to get paid and they have 15 million in cap room now before Brady's extension kicks in to maybe give more.
For you guys, go ahead, I think he could be good in your system. For Buffalo, who has like $5 mil in cap space right now, no way am I matching that offer sheet for the #3 or #4 WR going into next year.

The difference is that Jones for example is a good #2 WR while Hogan was most likely going to be Buffalo's #4 WR next year. His skillset is a good fit for what the Patriots do though, and obviously the WR position there is pretty weak outside of Edelman and to an extent, Amendola. I could see them cutting Amendola and sliding Hogan in his place too.

They haven't played a game since spending a ton of money in free agency. You have no idea if they will "still lose".

Regardless, the Giants have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them in the time that's passed since the Cowboys last won anything important.

They haven't played a game since spending a ton of money in free agency. You have no idea if they will "still lose".

Regardless, the Giants have been to 3 Super Bowls and won 2 of them in the time that's passed since the Cowboys last won anything important.

They spent a lot in the last few years. Were the Cowboys not important two years ago when they went 12-4?

To address both sentences: not really.

The Giants have spent quite a lot of money in free agency in the past couple of years, if 12-4 isn't being important, than what is?

The Giants have spent quite a lot of money in free agency in the past couple of years, if 12-4 isn't being important, than what is?

Before this year...not really.

"Winning something important", I said. If 12-4 qualifies as that for you, cool. I consider the teams that go far in the playoffs "important".

Hogan had an injury last year that came out after the season which may be why he dropped so many passes. He will probably be great for New England. He can get open and like Melancer said, is sneaky at beating his man down the field.

Maybe for NE he's worth that money but not for Buffalo. He only became the #3 WR because (shocker) Harvin got hurt. Otherwise he wouldn't have seen the field much with Watkins, Woods and Clay.

Totally agree with you and Melancer46 . Hogan is a solid #4 receiver, #3 at best. But my head would explode if the Bills matched that offer, even if they had room in their cap situation, let alone with their cap situation what it is now.