NFL FA thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NFL FA thread

Yeah I believe you guys. I don't expect Hogan to be an Pro Bowler or anything. The Pats just need a guy who can play outside and if need be slid inside. It appears Hogan can do that.

The Pats don't go after the big names FAs they go after fits for their system. I read this guy was the mystery recruit Doug Marrone wanted to bring into Syracuse. I wonder why we didn't.

The AFC East teams are really using all their cap space in FA. Jets don't even have the space for Fitzpatrick right now. Miami is spending like crazy and Buffalo used a lot of space to resign Incognito and franchise Glenn.

New England has 15 million in space now. It is likely going to go on extensions for their own guys.

Yeah I believe you guys. I don't expect Hogan to be an Pro Bowler or anything. The Pats just need a guy who can play outside and if need be slid inside. It appears Hogan can do that.

The Pats don't go after the big names FAs they go after fits for their system. I read this guy was the mystery recruit Doug Marrone wanted to bring into Syracuse. I wonder why we didn't.

The AFC East teams are really using all their cap space in FA. Jets don't even have the space for Fitzpatrick right now. Miami is spending like crazy and Buffalo used a lot of space to resign Incognito and franchise Glenn.

New England has 15 million in space now. It is likely going to go on extensions for their own guys.

About teams using up their cap space in FA, that's why you can sometimes get bargains in the second wave-- when teams have to cut players to enable them to sign FA's and/or draft picks. After teams have spent most of their available free agency bucks. Always good to have a couple of mill for a rainy day.

Big mistake, you don't take a rb that early.
The Rams took Todd Gurley at 10 last year and if the RB is a stud it is worth it.

Zeke Elliott is the real deal. He will go in the first 15 picks. Giants need a RB and this would be a good pick.

The Rams took Todd Gurley at 10 last year and if the RB is a stud it is worth it.

Zeke Elliott is the real deal. He will go in the first 15 picks. Giants need a RB and this would be a good pick.

Gurley was a good pick, but you cant find good rbs in the later rounds, The Giants need help on Defense and the o-line.

Bills get two extra picks - a 4 and a 6. I'll never understand free agency / capology.
http://www.wgr550.com/Bills-awarded-two-comp-picks/22558462
It is how much money in FA the players that leave the club sign for minus the amount that the team spend itself.

The Pats got 4 picks because Revis/Browner/Ayers/Castillas signed for 30 million and all the Pats signed was Jabaal Sheread at 5 million.

Basically if you lose FAs that sign for a minimum of 3.5 million dollars per year with another team you will get a compensatory pick.

Denver will get 2 3rd round picks next year because of Osweiler and Jackson's contracts.

Gurley was a good pick, but you cant find good rbs in the later rounds, The Giants need help on Defense and the o-line.
I think the Giants have fixed their D. They needed a pass rush.

They signed Harrison/JPP/Vernon their DL is now pretty good. Their secondary got a nice CB in Jenkins.

The Giants need a RB and swing tackle. At 10 I think they take the top OL prospect on the board or Elliot.

The Giants would be dumb to take a rb with their first. Really? They're not a complete team. Let alone a team that would take a rb with their first pick??? DUMB

Before this year...not really.

"Winning something important", I said. If 12-4 qualifies as that for you, cool. I consider the teams that go far in the playoffs "important".

They went 12-4 and as a 3 seed lost a hard fought gave on a controversial call to a 2 seed, thats a pretty good season.

They went 12-4 and as a 3 seed lost a hard fought gave on a controversial call to a 2 seed, thats a pretty good season.

Eh. Pretty good. That's what you're hanging your hat on though? LOL. Making my point for me.

I normally would be irate if my team took a RB in the Top 15 but i've seen first hand what LeSean McCoy can do for Buffalo's Offense so if its an elite talent like McCoy, Peterson or more recently in the draft, Gurley.. You make the move if you need a back.

The Giants would be dumb to take a rb with their first. Really? They're not a complete team. Let alone a team that would take a rb with their first pick??? DUMB
NYG have the QB, have the weapons at WR, they fixed their weakness which was pass rush and secondary.

They took a LT last year in the first round. NYG have a glarring weakness at RB. Zeke Elliott is a stud and the real deal.

If the RB is a stud like a Adrian Peterson/Todd Gurley you take them in the first round. Elliott to the NYG makes a lot of sense.
What say you KaiserUEO

Little surprised that Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing hardball with the Jets. I know it's his chance for one last big pay day but he already fleeced the Bills for a huge contract. I figured he would be happy he finally found a situation that seems to be working well for him with the NYJ.

I'm waiting for the Bills to free up some money to get a mid-tier FA or two.

That 4th Round compensatory pick is huge. This draft is amazing if you need Front 7 help in a 3-4, which we do and we run.

I'm hoping we can at least grab one of the decent linebackers that are still available. I'd love if we could use pick #19 on Offense, either WR or RT and then go defense for the rest of the draft.

We need:

NT
WR2
RT
LB (About 3 of them)

and:

Safety Depth
CB Depth
QB Depth (Are we seriously rolling with EJ as QB2 again?)

I'm waiting for the Bills to free up some money to get a mid-tier FA or two.

That 4th Round compensatory pick is huge. This draft is amazing if you need Front 7 help in a 3-4, which we do and we run.

I'm hoping we can at least grab one of the decent linebackers that are still available. I'd love if we could use pick #19 on Offense, either WR or RT and then go defense for the rest of the draft.

We need:

NT
WR2
RT
LB (About 3 of them)

and:

Safety Depth
CB Depth
QB Depth (Are we seriously rolling with EJ as QB2 again?)

Nice recap. I've been meaning to ask for your draft thoughts. Most projections I have seen have us going DL in the 1st but I'd have no issue with WR or RT. Regardless, we can't miss with that pick and end up with a bust. Agree with the rest of the needs also, particularly backup QB. I know there was the horrific call at the end but EJ cost us 21 points against Jacksonville in London in less than 5 minutes of game time. That was my last straw with that guy.

So is the Andre Williams experiment over? Is Elliot supposed to be on the level of a franchise changing back? I'm just thinking for the Giants at 10, they would go after a high dollar position.

Little surprised that Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing hardball with the Jets. I know it's his chance for one last big pay day but he already fleeced the Bills for a huge contract. I figured he would be happy he finally found a situation that seems to be working well for him with the NYJ.
Fitzpatrick to Marshall is what made the NYJ offense good.

The Jets have gone and spent 8 million dollars on RBs and franchised Wilkerson. Fitzpatrick has Denver out there for leverage.

The Broncos may give him a nice short term payday and with that D he could win. Denver then could draft a QB in late 1st/2nd and develop them for the future behind Fitz.

The Jets are playing with fire. Chase Daniel got 7 million per year from Philly. The NYJ need to give Fitz 10-12 million per year and get it done before Denver swoops in.

So is the Andre Williams experiment over? Is Elliot supposed to be on the level of a franchise changing back? I'm just thinking for the Giants at 10, they would go after a high dollar position.
Elliott is the real deal. He can pass block, catch the ball and ran a ridiculous 40 for his size. Todd Gurley was a stud last year finished 3rd in the NFL behind a terrible QB and OL.

Elliott is in the same stratosphere as Gurley.

Elliott is the real deal. He can pass block, catch the ball and ran a ridiculous 40 for his size. Todd Gurley was a stud last year finished 3rd in the NFL behind a terrible QB and OL.

Elliott is in the same stratosphere as Gurley.
I guess if he's supposed to be on that level, but that's a big gamble imo.

Yeah Elway has a plan for a qb in the draft. We have #30 but he might do something to move up. Sexton is Brocks agent and Fitzpatricks agent. We'll see what that means. The Jets won't give him 12 mil?? Wow.

NYG have the QB, have the weapons at WR, they fixed their weakness which was pass rush and secondary.

They took a LT last year in the first round. NYG have a glarring weakness at RB. Zeke Elliott is a stud and the real deal.

If the RB is a stud like a Adrian Peterson/Todd Gurley you take them in the first round. Elliott to the NYG makes a lot of sense.
What say you KaiserUEO
I wanted no part of Zeke till this weeks defensive Grand Slam.

Now?? I could be talked into him.

Especially when you consider they have about 30million to spend still.

That's right kids, the Giants are still shopping.

Get ready for a starting OL or S.

Plus another LB and CB for the rotations.

At 10, the Giants could trade out or go BPA, which is a nice spot to be in...and how Zeke...would be justified.

Did the Giants have like 5 players under contract going into this season? How do y'all have so much money?
They misjudged the roster 2 & 3 years ago and smartly* gave FAs 1 & 2 year contracts which all expired this year.

Plus, they had 11mill from jpp last year which carried over, then the cap went up and BOOM, spend away.

By smartly I just mean the contract, not the player. They were signing 29 & 30 year old guys hoping they had 1 more run in them...they didn't.