NFL Thread | Page 101 | Syracusefan.com

NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good call.

I think alsacs would lay 37 if you forced him to bet on the game.
I would lay 21.5 and feel good.
No more though.
I think the Pats win 31-7.

I would lay 21.5 and feel good.
No more though.
I think the Pats win 31-7.

I could see Bill calling off the dogs at some point and saving something for next week, I could see something like 27-10.

Wow, San Diego's a huge city I'm surprised they couldn't support a football team.
SD is all transplants. I have family in Encinitas and they aren't Charger fans.
I went to a Pats-Bolts SNF game 2 years ago and over 50% of the crowd was Pats fans.
Raider and Broncos fans regularly take over the SD stadium as well.
SD doesn't really support that team and LA is only 90 miles up the road. Traffic probably adds an hour.
I don't think LA will support them more but the team originally was founded by Paris Hilton's grandfather as the LA Chargers.

I went to a Pats-Bolts SNF game 2 years ago and over 50% of the crowd was Pats fans.
SD doesn't really support that team and LA is only 90 miles up the road. Traffic probably adds an hour.
I don't think LA will support them more but the team originally was founded by Paris Hilton's grandfather as the LA Chargers.
I live in Carlsbad and most ppl are not passionate abt the Chargers. Not like east coast cities that support Bills, Jets, Giants, Steelers etc. Doesn't help that the Chargers have been average at best. Don't think LA will have enough loyal fans to support 2 NFL teams, so not sure why Spanos is so intent on going there. Hoping the Raiders will relocate to LV. That would be a match made in heaven. Too bad Al Davis isn't still alive to see it.

San Diego home games were pathetic. Half full stadium unless it was filled with opposing fans.

That being said, LA doesn't care about football. They barely care about the Rams, why is anyone going to care about the Chargers?

16+ is a lot of points in an NFL game. A backdoor cover could easily happen.

For some perspective, accounting for the 3 points they usually give to the home team, Vegas thinks the Patriots are 17 points better than the 49ers and 16 points better than the Texans. There's just something terribly wrong with that line.

San Diego home games were pathetic. Half full stadium unless it was filled with opposing fans.

That being said, LA doesn't care about football. They barely care about the Rams, why is anyone going to care about the Chargers?

I'm not sure if it's not caring about football so much as it's that they all root for other teams. They don't associate the Rams or Chargers with LA.

Supposedly the Chargers may do a complete rebrand to incorporate fan-vote into the team name in an attempt to win local fans over.

That definitely makes more sense then.

I think we can paint this one with a broad brush, SoCal doesn't care about the NFL. Even the Raiders a bunch of times couldn't make it work, if they can't in that area, it can't be done imo. Kroenke will however have some crazy amenitites and some real posh things for the people with $ and a stadium everyone will want to visit as a side from his team. That's his m.o.

I'm not sure if it's not caring about football so much as it's that they all root for other teams. They don't associate the Rams or Chargers with LA.

Supposedly the Chargers may do a complete rebrand to incorporate fan-vote into the team name in an attempt to win local fans over.
Atlanta is as transient of a town as there is in the country and they strongly back the Falcons. I just don't think LA cares about any sport aside from basketball, unless the team is good. The Lakers can sell out games with a losing record. Any other team will be a wasteland unless they are winning and winning big.

attn briancuse and Guinness you better get this filled out or you will be forced to root for your home team...

bandwagonapp-805x1024.jpg

For some perspective, accounting for the 3 points they usually give to the home team, Vegas thinks the Patriots are 17 points better than the 49ers and 16 points better than the Texans. There's just something terribly wrong with that line.

I agree. I guess they think the Pats are more likely to keep the foot on the accelerator in a playoff game.

Been a fan since I was six in 1976 so if that makes me bandwagon so be it.
ok, we will check 1977 for you.

you should be fine this winter.

but, don't forget to reapply next august...

Last edited:
New Chargers (possibly temporary) logo:

C1_IsLYWgAEkrqh.jpg

Another logo (this one is faded because of the way their website displays it in a video):
C1_GI0sUUAAka6V.jpg

As someone who lives in LA, my guess behind the Rams/Chargers is this...

With two teams, the fancy new Inglewood stadium will have a game every week. The majority of the stadium will be full every week with visiting fans and transplants like myself rooting for their teams (Eagles).

It's not about local fans at all. They aren't looking for LA Charger fans. Now that being said? This city loves a good bandwagon and loves a celebrity. If one of the teams gets a star QB or gets really good, they'll jump on quick.

Last edited:
As someone who lives in LA, my guess behind the Rams/Chargers is this...

With two teams, the fancy new Inglewood stadium will have a game every week. The majority if the stadium will be full every week with visiting fans and transplants like myself rooting for their teams (Eagles).

It's not about local fans at all. They aren't looking for LA Charger fans. Now that being said? This city loves a good bandwagon and loves a celebrity. If one of the teams gets a star QB or gets really good, they'll jump on quick.
while banking on away fans is not a business model, theres a lot of truth to what you said.

I plan to go see the Giants there, just as you said.

and ive said many times here, that LA needs 'star power' at 2 spots...QB and HC.

get those, and the locals will fill up 75% and let the rest be game transplants or vacationers.

Just to add on about the stadium:

City of Champions Stadium - Wikipedia

"900,000 square feet of retail, 800,000 square feet of office space, 2,500 new residential and condo units, a luxury 300-room hotel and 25 acres of public parks, playgrounds, open space, a lake and pedestrian, bicycle and transit access."

This is not in a part of town you'll just pop on down to. It's a destination location. They need people to GO THERE to fill those hotels and to hit those retail spots.

while banking on away fans is not a business model, theres a lot of truth to what you said.

I plan to go see the Giants there, just as you said.

and ive said many times here, that LA needs 'star power' at 2 spots...QB and HC.

get those, and the locals will fill up 75% and let the rest be game transplants or vacationers.
Jeff Fisher to the Chargers book it.

Jeff Fisher to the Chargers book it.
I don't see it.

the name Shanahan has buzz to it.

with anther Lombardi, McDaniel would too.

It seems that Anthony Lynn may be a serious contender for the Chargers job

Status
Not open for further replies.