NFL ? When the KC guy reached the ball to the line to gain | Syracusefan.com

NFL ? When the KC guy reached the ball to the line to gain

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
But then he pulled the ball back, why does he get the forward progress.
How is that different from catching the ball past the line to gain, then running back behind the line and getting tackled?

From the NFL rulebook:

SECTION 13 - FORWARD PROGRESS
ARTICLE 1. FORWARD PROGRESS

The Forward Progress of a runner or airborne receiver is the point at which his advance toward his opponent’s goal ends and is the spot at which the ball is declared dead by rule, irrespective of the runner or receiver being pushed or carried backward by an opponent.

I guess if they're pushed back, the spot is determined by the forward progress of the ball.
If the receiver runs backward on his own, it's different.

..But he wasn't pushed back; he pulled the ball back on his own. As usual they make it up as they go.

From the NFL rulebook:

SECTION 13 - FORWARD PROGRESS
ARTICLE 1. FORWARD PROGRESS

The Forward Progress of a runner or airborne receiver is the point at which his advance toward his opponent’s goal ends and is the spot at which the ball is declared dead by rule, irrespective of the runner or receiver being pushed or carried backward by an opponent.

I guess if they're pushed back, the spot is determined by the forward progress of the ball.
If the receiver runs backward on his own, it's different.
Thanks for looking that up, but I don’t think it applies. The play wasn’t whistled dead when the ball went over the line to gain. He pulled it back.

yeah. It was a blown call in several ways

first every angle they had was not down the line so yeah he might have gottten the ball a few inches past the line but it wasnt really clear

2nd you also have to apply when the ref blew the whistle since he pulled the ball back and it wasnt really clear when he blew the whistle if the ball was even stretched out yet.

Thanks for looking that up, but I don’t think it applies. The play wasn’t whistled dead when the ball went over the line to gain. He pulled it back.
It made more sense when I posted it, but now I'm completely confused.

He pulled the ball back. The ref then blew the whistle. The official properly spotted the ball short. Then replay applied the rule incorrectly and overturned it

Get rid of all replay. It ruins the game and they get the crap wrong anyway.

You’d not believe what it’s like to watch a game without replay. It’s so fast. Go watch some classics.

the issue with replay is the lack of transparency on how/why they enforce the calls/rules. Then they hide it up when they make a mistake.. Take all replay out of the hands of the guys on the field.. Do it like hockey in a central place and get it right more often. Why does the guy with the smallest screen make the decision. if nothing else have them work with the guys in a central office to make these calls.

the issue with replay is the lack of transparency on how/why they enforce the calls/rules. Then they hide it up when they make a mistake.. Take all replay out of the hands of the guys on the field.. Do it like hockey in a central place and get it right more often. Why does the guy with the smallest screen make the decision. if nothing else have them work with the guys in a central office to make these calls.
In any game that doesn’t involve your favorite team, replay sucks. Much rather just do without . Problem being every game involves someone’s favorite team

In any game that doesn’t involve your favorite team, replay sucks. Much rather just do without . Problem being every game involves someone’s favorite team
Yeah, but who cares about them. :vomit:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom