NIL | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

NIL

Title IX will become an issue when the next phase of this occurs which is schools paying kids to come to school. Maybe i'm wrong.

FWIW, the big winner is going to be Otto the Orange. Suddenly weddings, bar mitzvahs, etc are going to be in demand for the Orange. No reason why the kids performing as the Orange can't make a nice living now. There's two costumes so one can travel to weddings and make nice scratch now. I would assume cheerleaders and the band will be able to perform too at events.

Can the university prevent the cheerleaders from doing nightclub openings? i'm curious how much pressure the university can be put on these students
Title IX won’t do any of this.
If kids are making money in the free market and the schools aren’t paying them the female athletes aren’t doing anything.

All title IX requires is that schools have scholarship allotments in line with student populations.

NIL just allows athletes to make money and stop pretending the sham that coaches can make millions and athletes make nothing.

College athletics have never been pure and the money has always been there in one form or another. Not my opinion. just ask the US Supreme Court.

From the start, American colleges and universities have had a complicated relationship with sports and money. In 1852, students from Harvard and Yale participated in what many regard as the Nation’s first intercollegiate competition—a boat race at Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire. But this was no pickup match. A railroad executive sponsored the event to promote train travel to the picturesque lake. T. Mendenhall, The Harvard-Yale Boat Race 1852– 1924, pp. 15–16 (1993). He offered the competitors an allexpenses-paid vacation with lavish prizes—along with unlimited alcohol. See A. Zimbalist, Unpaid Professionals 6– 7 (1999) (Zimbalist); Rushin, Inside the Moat, Sports Illustrated, Mar. 3, 1997. The event filled the resort with “life and excitement,” N. Y. Herald, Aug. 10, 1852, p. 2, col. 2, and one student-athlete described the “‘junket’” as an experience “‘as unique and irreproducible as the Rhodian colossus,’” Mendenhall, Harvard-Yale Boat Race, at 20. Life might be no “less than a boat race,” Holmes, On Receiving the Degree of Doctor of Laws, Yale University Commencement, June 30, 1886, in Speeches by Oliver Wendall Holmes, p. 27 (1918), but it was football that really caused college sports to take off. “By the late 1880s the traditional rivalry between Princeton and Yale was attracting 40,000 spectators and generating in excess of $25,000 . . . in gate revenues.” Zimbalist 7. Schools regularly had “graduate students and paid ringers” on their teams. Ibid. Colleges offered all manner of compensation to talented athletes. Yale reportedly lured a tackle named James Hogan with free meals and tuition, a trip to Cuba, the exclusive right to sell scorecards from his games—and a job as a cigarette agent for the American Tobacco Company. Ibid.; see also Needham, The College Athlete, McClure’s Magazine, June 1905, p. 124. The absence of academic residency requirements gave rise to “‘tramp athletes’” who “roamed the country making cameo athletic appearances, moving on whenever and wherever the money was better.” F. Dealy, Win at Any Cost 71 (1990). One famous example was a law student at West Virginia University—Fielding H. Yost— “who, in 1896, transferred to Lafayette as a freshman just in time to lead his new teammates to victory against its arch-rival, Penn.” Ibid. The next week, he “was back at West Virginia’s law school.” Ibid. College sports became such a big business that Woodrow Wilson, then President of Princeton University, quipped to alumni in 1890 that “‘Princeton is noted in this wide world for three things: football, baseball, and collegiate instruction.’” Zimbalist 7.
Harvard, Yale and Lafayette need the death penalty for their sins. I would pursue this further except their athletic programs are all already essentially dead.

these people in this thread that are complaining don’t care.
all they know is “is this bad for my sports watching...if so, then bad” or “does this mean Syracuse is not gonna be good...if so, then bad”

the idea college sports is fair has been gone for...well, really forever...
The idea of college sports, as it exists now, is repugnant to the mission of higher education.

Title IX won’t do any of this.
If kids are making money in the free market and the schools aren’t paying them the female athletes aren’t doing anything.

All title IX requires is that schools have scholarship allotments in line with student populations.

NIL just allows athletes to make money and stop pretending the sham that coaches can make millions and athletes make nothing.

What if scholarships go away ultimately? I think the answer is most sports don't give them anyway so maybe nothing really changes. You may be right. What will be funny is the amt of time students spend on making money vs going to school now vs their practice time.

I can't imagine it'll go over well if a commercial shoot goes long and Boeheim is waiting to start practice.

I can’t wait to see SEC football NIL numbers.

Maybe rich people don’t waste $. But they sure as hell throw it around on frivolous hobbies.
Son if you decide to listen to God and make Liberty your home the Misses and me would be proud to have you attend mass with us for let's say 25000 per service any time you can make it. In addition we have a pool out back and would love for you and the fellas to keep an eye on it for us for let's say 100000 for the summa.

Here is all you need to know. Boosters yes BOOSTERS are allowed to enter into direct NIL deals with any athlete for ANY reason other than signing with the school and or athletic performance.

So A BOOSTER can tell a kid i will pay you 1m a year to show up at my house for a private party and simply meet people. Kid doesnt even have to sign autographs just appear. Do you think that Texas oil money might just be in position to buy entire starting 5s in basketball. I wonder what is going to happen with Microsoft money in Washington. Basically the big will get bigger. The small schools that have crazy followings and lots of money Think Loyola of Chicago money from traders, Think North Dakota State money from Agriculture and Oil are going to have an advantage over Central NY money? We have proven as Bees likes to point out that facilities are paid for by Donors not schools Donors are boosters and now boosters can pay players directly. Bottom line is that many schools especially in basketball that have not been on the radar are suddenly going to be very good. Pstate will for sure become a bball power if they want. Same with other schools. Heck Buffalo will be in better position if they work it correctly than SU. Going forward its not going to be about the weight room or the a video screen on your locker its going to be about cash in your pocket. This will be a mess and i dont think we are in great position as we dont have the best donor base. Hopefully that changes and some of the alum step up that can. Maybe JW can pull some strings with the media guys. Lets hope as we dont have any software or Oil money on the team.

Good? It is what it is.

34 bucks? For that? This is where the classes for SU athletes on this will help.

Agree. I think Jordan will discover you can't just throw anything out there, but I could be wrong.

Really, how can anyone think they know for sure how this will play out? Ask yourself this, when money comes in to anything, when does that make things better or fairer? I'll hang up and listen.

More money spread around to more people generally makes things better.

Will the post standard get involved.
Other media companies. Could there be a weekly program like JB and Dino do?

The way to make real money is to offer national fame - that's something Syracuse can offer that most of the small schools cant. Buddy Buckets, ESPN games, etc. We need to get good again this year so we get those prime time games and massive viral publicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom