No discussion of the concussion class action suit? | Syracusefan.com

No discussion of the concussion class action suit?

Beginning of the end of what?

The continuation of jerks trying to sue and claim non disclosure of risks. Kinda like firefighters suing for falling off a ladder.

Beginning of the end of what?

I'm not sure college football survive another decade as currently constituted. The firm involved here has a bunch of class actions against schools and conferences going.

Grasping at straws, all they are going to get is a nice crisp high five!

tumblr_o4mmxsYoNb1rvp4o7o3_540.gif

I'm not sure college football survive another decade as currently constituted. The firm involved here has a bunch of class actions against schools and conferences going.

Wasn't sure exactly where you were going with your original comment.

The only thing I'll say is that I knew Gator as a freshman pretty sure before game 1... If there were concussions, my guess is at least some/most/all happened well before I met him.

If the man is truly suffering then I feel for him. It can take a long time for that stuff to make its presence known so we'll be seeing these types of suits for decades to come. It is going to be fairly difficult to prove his case, I imagine.

I would think that it would be very difficult to prove the time frame of injury without any protocol at the time. Defense attorneys I would think would question the time frame and proof of a concussion. Could any of them be proven definitively in that 4 years or could they have been suffered in the years since he was playing football from when he was 6 until 18 when he went to college. Or from any other circumstances, falling out of bed (AJ), etc.

Sounds like a stab at a settlement and not a class action.

I would think that it would be very difficult to prove the time frame of injury without any protocol at the time. Defense attorneys I would think would question the time frame and proof of a concussion. Could any of them be proven definitively in that 4 years or could they have been suffered in the years since he was playing football from when he was 6 until 18 when he went to college. Or from any other circumstances, falling out of bed (AJ), etc.

Sounds like a stab at a settlement and not a class action.

They have to prove is that SU and/or the Big East knew that concussions were a problem and hid the fact. And that the school was part of a conspiracy. That's where the class action is based. It doesn't matter when the player was injured elsewhere as long as they can document they got a concussion playing college football.

I'm sorry but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out banging your head into another person repeatedly isn't good for you. He shouldn't get a dime.

I'm sorry but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out banging your head into another person repeatedly isn't good for you. He shouldn't get a dime.

Then football should be banned.

They have to prove is that SU and/or the Big East knew that concussions were a problem and hid the fact. And that the school was part of a conspiracy. That's where the class action is based. It doesn't matter when the player was injured elsewhere as long as they can document they got a concussion playing college football.

I don't think that is all he has to prove by a longshot. He has to prove that his injuries were without a doubt sustained while he was at SU, which I am guessing he won't be able to. Along with about 1000 other things.

Back during the time frame he is talking about, very little was known about concussions. As a football player he should have known just like SU should have known that smashing your head into things is bad. He still could have chosen not to play if he thought it was to the detriment of his health, he chose to continue.

I don't think that is all he has to prove by a longshot. He has to prove that his injuries were without a doubt sustained while he was at SU, which I am guessing he won't be able to. Along with about 1000 other things.

Back during the time frame he is talking about, very little was known about concussions. As a football player he should have known just like SU should have known that smashing your head into things is bad. He still could have chosen not to play if he thought it was to the detriment of his health, he chose to continue.

I disagree. Concussion research was well underway 15 years ago, and the NCAA was involved in the process. One email to/from a coach or administrator discussing concussion risks would be enough to prove SU was aware and did nothing. And concussion effects are cumulative, so it doesn't matter if he had his bell wrung previously. SU could be held culpable (how much is the question). Now if he was involved in a major car accident some some other trauma they could point to that as being a major factor, but there is probably video of his games that his lawyers could use to demonstrate that coaches put him back in the game with willful disregard for his safety.

Again, if he can prove that SU was aware of the concussion risks (difficult) then proving that his injuries came while at SU becomes less difficult.

How about the Nfl player who got a concussion when he purposely head butted a guy, what a moron.