No Read Option | Syracusefan.com

No Read Option

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I guess I was a bit surprised that Allen did not run any read option stuff - passing off the option.

I was surprised that his feet were not more of a factor - I figured he would run a bit more on designed plays.

On the other hand, I was very happy with the way we tackled - better than last year (other than the whiff on Robinson on the long and horrible TD in the second half).

I guess I was a bit surprised that Allen did not run any read option stuff - passing off the option.

I was surprised that his feet were not more of a factor - I figured he would run a bit more on designed plays.

On the other hand, I was very happy with the way we tackled - better than last year (other than the whiff on Robinson on the long and horrible TD in the second half).

Pretty sure the first play on O was a read option, but Allen tripped and fell in the backfield. I don't think they tried it again.

Agree about the tackling. Zwiniak (spell?) was a load and they did a great job getting him on the ground. The whiff on Robinson was more about exposing the lack of high end speed in some of our DBs, IMO.

Yup. I haven't replayed the game, but watching it live, it seemed like we didn't get as much downfield blocking as we should have. Our WRs will need to make blocking more of a priority. And we had the one hold on Wales on the play to the right edge. We're got some big WRs now. These are not the smurfs we've had in years past. We should be able to get some blocking from them.

I also don't really fault Reddish for not "making a move" on the OLman that made the tackle on the interception. Yes, you would like to think he would and could maneuver past him. But the kid just ran 30 yards down the field with Robinson, stripped a football, recovered a football, and ran 40 yards back down the other way. I think it was Eskeridge who was there with Reddish, he should have been the guy to block, or just get in the way of the tackler.

Yup. I haven't replayed the game, but watching it live, it seemed like we didn't get as much downfield blocking as we should have. Our WRs will need to make blocking more of a priority. And we had the one hold on Wales on the play to the right edge. We're got some big WRs now. These are not the smurfs we've had in years past. We should be able to get some blocking from them.

I also don't really fault Reddish for not "making a move" on the OLman that made the tackle on the interception. Yes, you would like to think he would and could maneuver past him. But the kid just ran 30 yards down the field with Robinson, stripped a football, recovered a football, and ran 40 yards back down the other way. I think it was Eskeridge who was there with Reddish, he should have been the guy to block, or just get in the way of the tackler.

I think it was Eskridge.

Pretty sure the first play on O was a read option, but Allen tripped and fell in the backfield. I don't think they tried it again.

Agree about the tackling. Zwiniak (spell?) was a load and they did a great job getting him on the ground. The whiff on Robinson was more about exposing the lack of high end speed in some of our DBs, IMO.

Yeah, first play of the game was read option. Then never again. That stuff just strikes me as strange. I mean, if you're comfortable opening up the game with it, it must have been something we did well in practice.

Never gave Estime another try. It's not going to build any confidence if kids think they get only one shot. Hopefully he continues to get worked in. Once he catches it, there's no substitute for speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

They actually ran a lot of read option looks, Allen just didn't keep it once. Pointless play if there's no threat of the QB pulling it.

They actually ran a lot of read option looks, Allen just didn't keep it once. Pointless play if there's no threat of the QB pulling it.

Well, Allen did a poor job of selling the option.

The team ran a lot of pistol formation with a weak-side fullback, but it didn't seem it was running read option plays out of it. Rather, it was using "power" running plays (dive, lead, off-tackle, trap). During these plays, Allen often spun away from the line and looked at the point of the mesh. Tough to read a defender that way. I kept waiting for Allen to bootleg or to use that as a strong play-action fake, but neither really materialized outside of Kobena's 55-yard reception.

As a result, the running game appeared "vanilla" because there was little attempt to create misdirection, the Flemming end-around notwithstanding. This led to a lot of second-and-longs. Strangely, as 007 and Chip said, the first play was a read option. Makes me wonder if we would have seen it more if Allen hadn't stumbled. If so, why abandon it after one "flukey" result?

There were quite few plays where Allen couldve kept it but was just continually happy to hand off. The DE was crashing down on the rb everytime and allen would roll out with the closest defender 10 yards away a bunch of times. He really needed to run a few more times until it froz e the DE and got the LB moving out of the box but it never came.

The team ran a lot of pistol formation with a weak-side fullback, but it didn't seem it was running read option plays out of it. Rather, it was using "power" running plays (dive, lead, off-tackle, trap). During these plays, Allen often spun away from the line and looked at the point of the mesh. Tough to read a defender that way. I kept waiting for Allen to bootleg or to use that as a strong play-action fake, but neither really materialized outside of Kobena's 55-yard reception.

As a result, the running game appeared "vanilla" because there was little attempt to create misdirection, the Flemming end-around notwithstanding. This led to a lot of second-and-longs. Strangely, as 007 and Chip said, the first play was a read option. Makes me wonder if we would have seen it more if Allen hadn't stumbled. If so, why abandon it after one "flukey" result?

Yep, agree. Our pistol formation plays didn't seem to have any other options. Hike, turn, hand off, power run up the middle, bang bang play. When I think of spread option, I think shotgun, RB next to you, snap, either hand off, or pull it back and take off the other way. That happened the first play of the game. Never again, that I could see anyway. So it's clearly in the playbook, I think it was just abandoned or forgotten.

i hope we don't have to wait 4 seasons again to figure out what they really want to do on offense.

we've had one season in eight where we all know what they hell they're trying to do. i hope it's not one in 9.

PSU was run blitzing off the corner almost every time they played press man. this led to almost no backside running room. we needed to counter this and never really did. hopefully film study will help this.. we also need to have checks built in that when we see soft cushion we at least on occasion throw the quick out and see what happens.

Allen's spinning away is probably what I was seeing. There were a few times he rolled away after handing it off and if he had kept it, he would've had the open field in front of him. Hope we add more wrinkles in there.

Does Allen have any mobility or at least enough to run read option? All i've seen of him is this one game where he tripped over himself and went into statue mode when the pocket collapsed.

Does Allen have any mobility or at least enough to run read option? All i've seen of him is this one game where he tripped over himself and went into statue mode when the pocket collapsed.

He's supposed to have decent straight line speed...he's gotta be faster than Nassib, and we ran a fair bit of option last year.

This is one of the reasons why I bristled when a couple folks compared Saturday to a GRob era offense. I won't watch a replay, but live in the stadium it seemed like several times we could have hit on a good gain but the blocking just broke down. I can't imagine it's impossible to improve on that and get those yards in future games. In the GRob era, most every play was DOA.