North Dakota State is currently ranked 31st in FBS | Syracusefan.com

North Dakota State is currently ranked 31st in FBS

If they moved up they would join a group of schools that used to compete for national championships and don't any more:

Arkansas State, Boise State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Georgia Southern, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Massachusetts, Northern Illinois, Ohio University, Southern Mississippi and Western Kentucky

All won either college division poll national championships, (1958-72), NCAA Division II championships (1973-77) or 1AA(FCS) championships (1978 to the present). None has ever won or played for the 1A(FBS) championship and likely never will.

Everybody should have a shot at winning a national championship. That's why divisions were set up. 1AA was designed for Division 1 schools that didn't have a real chance at a title- they could be Division 1 and get in a playoff for a championship. But many schools still preferred to be in 1A rather than 1AA for 'prestige' and so they could get a better chance at those "guarantee" games where they send their players to get killed by a major power with a huge stadium so they can get the money. Georgia Southern beating Bowling Green just isn't the same as winning a championship. I'd like 1A to be the Power 5 conferences and put the non-power five teams into FCS. That would give the Bison plenty of competition and it would look familiar to most of the 'demoted' teams because that's where most of them came from. D--1 schools could still play them but their kids would have a shot at a title.

I believe NDS is Notre Dame's first choice as #16 when they join the ACC in all sports. UConn a bridesmaid again.

If they moved up they would join a group of schools that used to compete for national championships and don't any more:

Arkansas State, Boise State, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Georgia Southern, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Massachusetts, Northern Illinois, Ohio University, Southern Mississippi and Western Kentucky

All won either college division poll national championships, (1958-72), NCAA Division II championships (1973-77) or 1AA(FCS) championships (1978 to the present). None has ever won or played for the 1A(FBS) championship and likely never will.

Everybody should have a shot at winning a national championship. That's why divisions were set up. 1AA was designed for Division 1 schools that didn't have a real chance at a title- they could be Division 1 and get in a playoff for a championship. But many schools still preferred to be in 1A rather than 1AA for 'prestige' and so they could get a better chance at those "guarantee" games where they send their players to get killed by a major power with a huge stadium so they can get the money. Georgia Southern beating Bowling Green just isn't the same as winning a championship. I'd like 1A to be the Power 5 conferences and put the non-power five teams into FCS. That would give the Bison plenty of competition and it would look familiar to most of the 'demoted' teams because that's where most of them came from. D--1 schools could still play them but their kids would have a shot at a title.

Ok

Ok, fine they don't want to move up and join big boy football and still play for their national championship that nobody cares about or remembers year to year. Their program is hot and very good. They are losing revenue by playing for their "championship " . They could be an immediate bowl team in the AAC.

Ok

Ok, fine they don't want to move up and join big boy football and still play for their national championship that nobody cares about or remembers year to year. Their program is hot and very good. They are losing revenue by playing for their "championship " . They could be an immediate bowl team in the AAC.

They have some major "roadblocks"

"Larsen will cite the relative small size of the 19,000-seat Fargodome, the loss of home playoff games, increased travel costs, the needed boost of his department's overall budget and a dozen other things as possible roadblocks to an NDSU move up. But there is also this truth Larsen points out: Nobody's asked.

"Nobody's invited us. You have to have an invitation to get into a conference and that hasn't happened," he said. "And I don't know if that will change for us anytime soon.
""

They have some major "roadblocks"

"Larsen will cite the relative small size of the 19,000-seat Fargodome, the loss of home playoff games, increased travel costs, the needed boost of his department's overall budget and a dozen other things as possible roadblocks to an NDSU move up. But there is also this truth Larsen points out: Nobody's asked.

"Nobody's invited us. You have to have an invitation to get into a conference and that hasn't happened," he said. "And I don't know if that will change for us anytime soon.
""

Interesting, but if the AD is adamantly against moving up, why would invites come? Chicken and the egg thing. They will get an invite. AAC, CUSA. True about stadium expansion, etc. If they already have 19k, that is a good start. Get to 25-30k and that is all you need. Would love to see it. Would be great in the MAC.

Some programs know that an obsessive, eternal quest for more cash is not in their university's best interest. More should follow that approach. Big boy college football is fun, and also pretty vile.

I believe NDS is Notre Dame's first choice as #16 when they join the ACC in all sports. UConn a bridesmaid again.
king-of-troll.png

They don't really fit in anywhere. The best fit is the MAC, but they're pretty far away.

600 miles of road between NIU and NDSU.
600 miles of road between NIU and Buffalo with every other conference member in between.

Ok

They obviously care about it or they wouldn't have won it 5 times.

I don't care for declarations that 'nobody' cares about or remembers something from individuals who base that simply on their own apathy.

I owned a major business in Fargo. They have a magical program and should stay right were they are. Amazing support. Great school and city. Loved it. Also Tom Fargo cc fantastic course.

I can definitely see your point. I lived in a Georgia for several years growing up and paid attention to Ga Southern a little bit. They had built up quite a tradition with Erk Russell and always competing for the I-AA championship. Now it seems like they are just another I-A program. It's the same with NW Missouri State now that I live in KC. It's always exciting seeing them do well in D-3. While there has been absolutely no speculation this is even a possibility, I'd hate to see them try to move up and lose that. But I'd be interested in hearing what the alumni of all those schools who have moved up think about it.

At the same time, to make somewhat of a comparison on the basketball side, I'm a Mercer alum and I'd hate to lose the opportunity to try to make the NCAA tourney each year. Beating Duke was the greatest moment in our athletic history even though we lost to Tennessee in the next round. While it was neat to win the CBI championship in 2012, beating Tennessee State, Georgia State, Old Dominion, Fairfield and Utah State just didn't have the same allure as competing in the Big Dance. So I can see the attraction of trying to compete against the big boys also.

I cringed as UMass moved up to 1A. It was pretty obvious they would strong on the field while also losing a ton of money. NDS might fare better on the field, but too many schools are trying to be 1A when it's not in their financial interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom