Northwestern Keys | Syracusefan.com

Northwestern Keys

GoSU96

Living Legend
1. No gift points. As we know from our game last year and Cal knows, NWestern feasts on non offensive TD's. Same thing happened against Michigan St. and Miss St. as well.

2. They can be thrown on. They had 6 games where teams threw for 280 or more yards and went 3-3. Of the three wins 42-41 SU, 23-20 Michigan St, 22-13 BC. If SU and Mich. St. don't give up the gift points and they would have been 1-5 in those games.

3. Limit the run. In five games were they ran for 180 or less the margins in those games for NWestern was 3, -11, 1, 14, -1. The 3 and 1 were the Michigan St and SU games. And without the gift points they are 1-4 in those games. SU held PSU to 57 yds last week. NW is a run heavy team, less they throw the better for them.

They can be thrown on and we need to be able to throw

Eric White ‏@EricWhiteCuse 38m
#Northwestern pic.twitter.com/j4bWmPKxex
BTfgzDUCQAIoDID.jpg

Biggest concern to me is with all of the screens, and our safeties/corners not biting on a pump fake.

NW is loaded with speed, but if we can keep them in front of us, we have a really good shot IMO.

Really think our O comes alive this game. This is partially orange-tinted, but I still feel like we haven't seen anything close to what they're capable of just yet.

Good Post. Agree with everything.

To add on,

We have to be better passing over the middle of the field. USE WALES. I promise he is good. Him and Broyld could work done between the hashes. Losing Flemming hurts but now players like Lewis, Kobena, Clark and maybe even Funder can step up. We could use Kobena's speed to stretch the field.

We have to be way more disciplined in the secondary. Wilkes and Anderson needs to get it together and elimiate mental errors. Run D will be fine.

Lastly, We won't shut them out, they'll get their 24 but we can't give them anything extra. No Specials TD and no turnovers.

Oppositelty to win, we will need acouple turnovers and big plays on specials.

Playing on grass worries me a bit if it's anything like the footing SU had against PSU.

I don't think we're going to see Coulter. Kid got his bell rung badly last week and now is listed as questionable. Would bet a large sum he has a concussion and sits this game out. Watch the hit he took last week and then watch him wobble off the field.

Yeah, I can't imagine they could allow him to play the week after sustaining a concussion. Seems irresponsible not to sit him out.

We also need to cut down on penalties. This 8-10 pops a game for almost a full field every game kills us. We did well the first quarter or so last week. That is the real discipline we need to work on. I understand the PI calls, to save the TD bomb, but we need to shape it up.

Our defense held PSU to 52 yards rushing since 5 were on the fake punt. We essentially held them to 52 yards on 37 carries and I'm not sure I believe NW's oline is better than PSU's.

I don't think we're going to see Coulter. Kid got his bell rung badly last week and now is listed as questionable. Would bet a large sum he has a concussion and sits this game out. Watch the hit he took last week and then watch him wobble off the field.

In the scheme of things this game doesn't really matter. They aren't going to go undefeated, they need to have all hands for the Big10 season.

The only thing that heals head injuries is time. Coming back to early just extends them.

Our defense held PSU to 52 yards rushing since 5 were on the fake punt. We essentially held them to 52 yards on 37 carries and I'm not sure I believe NW's oline is better than PSU's.

I thought I heard during their game that they have 3 new OLinemen. Cal was awful last year, and obviously not much better this, on defense.

I thought I heard during their game that they have 3 new OLinemen. Cal was awful last year, and obviously not much better this, on defense.

And I really hope we're better than Cal. I think we are but who knows at this point. I'm essentially viewing NW as PSU without a D Jones, or Robinson. Could be unfounded but we'll know more shortly.

And I really hope we're better than Cal. I think we are but who knows at this point. I'm essentially viewing NW as PSU without a D Jones, or Robinson. Could be unfounded but we'll know more shortly.

I think there is more concern on the edges with their DE's. I hope we don't see a Michael Hays vs. Tulane, or Sweet Lou vs. Minny type of game out of the RT. Matter of fact, I don't want to see another game where our RT being blown up is the focus by the announcers.

To add to this - unless he was symptom free on Monday (which with the cross-country flight and the late nature of the game, that would be a quick recovery) it's nearly impossible that he has been fully cleared to play unless NW is using a different concussion protocol than the rest of NCAA.

Doesn't make me feel much better considering the backup QB torched us last year - but remember, our D wasn't all that great last year, especially Week 1. I think it's legit now. Big difference. Not to mention Cal, a 9-loss team last year, put up 30 on them last week.

I have a pretty good feeling we'll be in this game just like Penn State. Doesn't mean we're going to win, but I think we have a chance.

1. No gift points. As we know from our game last year and Cal knows, NWestern feasts on non offensive TD's. Same thing happened against Michigan St. and Miss St. as well.

2. They can be thrown on. They had 6 games where teams threw for 280 or more yards and went 3-3. Of the three wins 42-41 SU, 23-20 Michigan St, 22-13 BC. If SU and Mich. St. don't give up the gift points and they would have been 1-5 in those games.

3. Limit the run. In five games were they ran for 180 or less the margins in those games for NWestern was 3, -11, 1, 14, -1. The 3 and 1 were the Michigan St and SU games. And without the gift points they are 1-4 in those games. SU held PSU to 57 yds last week. NW is a run heavy team, less they throw the better for them.
i definately agree. They are a very disciplined team and take full advantage of your mistakes. They are solid across the board. They are beatable if you just play smart, don:t force throws, hold on to the ball, and do your assignment on defense. i can:t imagine many playmaker on the team

Fitzgerald said he "expects" Coulter to play. Probably so we have to prepare the defense for 2 QB's.
http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2013/09/syracuse_football_versus_north_1.html

He did practice during the week and took snaps with the 1's but it has not been disclosed if he has been cleared to play.
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/coll...-colter-practices-plans-to-play-saturday.html

Here is a little production video of the NW opener against Cal.. just have to get past the guy repairing the dings in their helmets. Hopefully he has a lot of work to do next week.

i hope that he is cleared to play as i want to beat them at their best. I believe we can win this game. I give us a 40% chance and we are going to need a few breaks. Keep it simple this week and execute. We have more talent on O than we have had in years. Last week we beat ourselves with poor coaching. Give the kids a chance and i believe we can hang. I think that we can win between the tackles on this team. Get rid of the sideline throws as they do not play to our strengths. Own the middle of the field and the outside will open up. Also too many of our plays last week were very slow. Pace is important we need to go about twice as fast this week and we need to play to win dare to be great and not afraid to let the horses run

We also need to cut down on penalties. This 8-10 pops a game for almost a full field every game kills us. We did well the first quarter or so last week. That is the real discipline we need to work on. I understand the PI calls, to save the TD bomb, but we need to shape it up.

Well, in fairness it was only one game. Let's see if it happens again before we label it a trend.

I thought this was going to be about the Northwestern student section jingling keys on 3rd down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom