Norton consistently kicks touchbacks | Syracusefan.com

Norton consistently kicks touchbacks

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I have been as much a supporter of Shafer as anyone... and I know there's 67 different squib kick threads already, but I have got to get this one out. Down one score, getting the ball back in the 2nd half. Were we going to win? Probably not. But come on. Norton has been kicking touchbacks the whole game... I would love for someone to give me ONE reason why a squib benefits in that moment, just one. Was it to try and run more time? Then he shouldn't have called needless TO's during the previous drive, and it could maybe run 5-10 more seconds if executed well, tops. Was to try and catch FSU off guard in some way? Well it sure caught me off guard... Freaking Norton has been kicking touchbacks consistently, just let him pound it. Play D on the 25 and go from there. I'm as salty about that decision as I've ever been, EVER.

Edit: P.S. there is some new poster named Skinny.Atlas who half stole my avatar... get off my ish bro! ;)

Last edited:
Who exactly is the ST coach, anyway? Moreland? I know Gregory is the "quality control" guy but I can't remember who is actually the ST coordinator.

Baffling to have that kind of miscommunication between the kicker and the position coach.

Who exactly is the ST coach, anyway? Moreland? I know Gregory is the "quality control" guy but I can't remember who is actually the ST coordinator.

Baffling to have that kind of miscommunication between the kicker and the position coach.
I thought Daoust was the main ST coach, could be wrong.

I thought Daoust was the main ST coach, could be wrong.
Looks like you're correct. They don't have anyone labeled as ST coordinator on the athletics website, but a quick google search says its Daoust.

My wife was casually watching the game with me. After the kick the next 5 minutes consisted of me saying any number of different combinations of the phrases "You've got to be kidding me", "I cannot believe this is happening" & "This is unreal" over and over again... she eventually turned to me and said "You said that already"... thanks honey.

My wife was casually watching the game with me. After the kick the next 5 minutes consisted of me saying any number of different combinations of the phrases "You've got to be kidding me", "I cannot believe this is happening" & "This is unreal" over and over again... she eventually turned to me and said "You said that already"... thanks honey.

I feel ya! :mad:

How the is the kicker not sure exactly what the kick style should be?!?!?!

That is the definition of coaching.
So, Norton just decided to do that on his own? No way.

I am the biggest Shafer supporter there is. So I feel my opinion carries some weight more so than the chronic negative nancys. The kick wasn't the bigger issue. The issue was the timeout. It saved them at least 35 seconds. There is no reason in any universe for that time out. And than adding the kick makes it literally insane.

Not to mention this EXACT same scenario happened last week which literally lost us the game. A bad TO followed by a bad pooch kick turned into 3 points that we handed Pitt.

Here is my timeline.

Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 5.22.19 PM.png

Its is like you were a fly on my living room wall today and stole my story... My wife said the exact same thing to me. At least I know Im not alone

One thing about the OP, I don't have the figures but I don't think Norton kicks many touchbacks. If only. He had a few today, though. One of them was low, bounced at the 10 and skittered through the endzone.

According to Joe Reedy, AP, Shafer said the kick was supposed be like that one. Seems like a good idea, if your kicker can do that with any consistency.

http://www.aol.com/article/2015/10/...-keep-momentum-in-45-21-loss-to-fsu/21256990/

There's no excuse for that sort of miscommunication. Regardless of what happened, that one's on the coaches.
Clearly the coaches are to blame, and then Shafer points out repeatedly in the presser the kicker messed up. Shafer and his staff need to step up there game now, and focus on getting some more wins this season by any means possible if they want another shot next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom