Not as bad | Syracusefan.com

Not as bad

J

JoeySimz

As some of you made it sound. Well, the shooting was god awful but we got a lot of good looks.
What I saw was a struggling team play with better defensive intensity, rebound the ball better, miss a ton of open looks and continue to be a real work in progress on the offensive end.

In the first half about 5 shots rimmed out. We got good looks and just missed. Midway through the second half (maybe 7:57) we had another major shooting lull and didn't score for a long time. (Btw, did anyone else notice we were stuck on 44 forever while they made their comeback? And never got the lead back) No matter how simple or non-existent you may think our offensive scheme is, I saw a ton of opportunity that players simply are not taking advantage of.

I actually thought the game plan was good. Against the zone, we got the ball around the perimeter and made the zone move but we missed shots. Frankie and Johnny had wide open misses. White came off curls, got his looks and missed. Lydon did the fake screen and roll and missed. They were open looks. I don't remember any of the shots being way off except the Gillon airball. Lydon claimed the high post and the guards got him the ball. He was not good shooting/operating from there and often passed back out or missed. Frank had some good passes but didn't make shots or convert his drives. Tyus and Gillon were still hesitant putting the ball on the floor even though that is what they have been asked to do. Even against m2m when the staff instructed Lydon to post up the smaller defender, our guards failed to get him the ball. As with Robey, his game is not driving to the basket from 15 feet.

So, it's obvious we need to have more offensive production from somewhere other than the 3point line. That's exactly why coach had Roberson playing less and DC playing more. Chukwu is on the bench and Tyus is on the floor. Tyus needs to slash more. Gillon needs to feed guys for dunks instead of attempting a crazy reverse. Frank needs to make layups. Etc. Coleman can't be the only one doing damage on the interior.

Speaking of, Coleman was a beast tonight. He more than held his own against 3-4 taller dudes. He played smart position basketball and I only noticed him put it too low once. He was scored on twice when he failed to get up quick on the shooter in the high post. Otherwise, very decent game. Made mid range shots, post moves, and got to the line. Nice assist for a 3 out of a double team too. Thought Lydon was a man on interior d and the boards too.

There's even more negativity after this one. Criticism, good. Can we do without the lynch mob after every loss? So much unhealthy resentment and hatred towards jb and staff and even some of the players. (Is this what you guys mean by board meltdown?)

Long season. It's a work in progress.

I am *hoping* this team just hasn't gelled yet, and that better things are around the corner. And maybe even they can get hot at the right time, and make a run similar to last year.

Even the eternal optimist inside of me is trying not to have doubts though...

You thought we got a lot of good looks? Our offense is so bad we have forgotten what a good look is.

I think there's a lot of potential in the starting lineup. Definitely a lot of talent there, at least.

2 issues:

-We've dug ourselves a big hole with these 3 losses, 1 to an absolute garbage team.

-Our bench looks beyond pathetic. We have an offensively challenged PF in a SF body. We have a 3'8 back-up point guard who can't get his shot off at this level (so far) and provides nothing at the top of the zone. A defensively challenged freshman PF with a ton of skill, but again, a freshman who plays like a freshman. Last, but not least, a 7'2 giant who plays defense like a wacky wavy inflatable tube man and has no offensive skill to speak of.

I think there's a lot of potential in the starting lineup. Definitely a lot of talent there, at least.

2 issues:

-We've dug ourselves a big hole with these 3 losses, 1 to an absolute garbage team.

-Our bench looks beyond pathetic. We have an offensively challenged PF in a SF body. We have a 3'8 back-up point guard who can't get his shot off at this level (so far) and provides nothing at the top of the zone. A defensively challenged freshman PF with a ton of skill, but again, a freshman who plays like a freshman. Last, but not least, a 7'2 giant who plays defense like a wacky wavy inflatable tube man and has no offensive skill to speak of.
So what you're saying is...even if our starting lineup gets a lot better, we still have no bench. Yeh, I see what you're saying. Dammit!

I should have specified. Good looks meaning open looks from 3 bc our offense was basically non-existent elsewhere. But the shots were there for the taking.

See, I need to disagree with you here. We got good looks from the NBA 3-point line, but those aren't actually good looks because we don't have the ability to make those shots consistently. I will say this all day. JB needs to smack someone in the head to get them to realize they can shoot from the white line at the Garden and the blue line is for only last second shots.

When your coach says the offense is horrendous you should listen.

When your coach says the offense is horrendous you should listen.

Especially for the next part where he says, "this is how we fix it..." Just wonder if that part has been stated yet...

clearly the rim and arena weren't helping msg or not. imo we should have had 10 points 4 minutes in, we were that wide open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom