Not putting a defender on the in bound | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not putting a defender on the in bound

is a classic Jim B move. One that goes against just about what every other coach would do. And it has cost us in the past. I would imagine that the Digger would let evry one know how ND beat us with this JB strategy.

Pitino didn't guard the inbounder in the famous Christian Laettner game. It's not just JB. Many times it makes sense.

I never understood the logic in giving the inbounder close to a 100% chance of throwing the pass he wants to throw.
It seems to make even less sense when the inbounding team is out of timeouts and you can put a 7-foot guy with long arms in front of him.

Rick Pitino may have learned that lesson when he let Grant Hill throw a perfect pass to Christian Laettner.

You can argue that it's better to use an extra defender and "sandwich" the likely pass recipient.
I'd rather try to foil the play before it even starts.

With 1.2 seconds left, it's a hial mary regardless, tough to tell who is actually open from 65-70 feet, the ball is getting tossed where the play indicates at that point, again the ball is getting tossed regardless, a guy jumping around like an idiot will not block a pass that needs to go that long and once that ball gets tossed it's a jump ball, it's either 4 versus 4 or 4 versus 5. With 3-4 seconds it's different but with 1-1.5 it's not. Again, I at 6-2 could throw the ball over keita as long as I need to throw to a certain area of the court 65 feet down the court. They basically have one play one option at that point, there really is no if/ then type scenario with that much time left. If there is 3-4 seconds you have to defends much more of the court and the inbounder has options

1 pt. lead with 1 second left as a coach i'm more concerned with not fouling than with somebody hitting a 40 footer.

1 pt. lead with 1 second left as a coach i'm more concerned with not fouling than with somebody hitting a 40 footer.

exactly, like I said, this isn't my opinion but something I was told at a coaches clinic of college level coaches about 9-10 years ago but what the hell do they know

JB usually does have someone guard the in bounds. Not this time though, maybe because there was only a second left and he figured it might be better to be able to get a hand in the face of a possible shooter? In bounder was just going for Hail Mary anyhow and there isn't much chance you'll block that pass. Just guessing..
Actually he doesn't I still remember the 2006 Big East Tournament against Cincinnati G-Mac hits the 3 pointer to put us up 1 point and Cincinnati gets 1 last shot with nobody on the ball and Jihad Muhammed from Cincinnati got a clean look that would have been good if it was 1 inch longer hit the front of the rim.

It's a coaches call! Some do some don't. The line of reasoning for many coaches is the time left on the clock, if there is 1.4 seconds on the clock what will kill you is the long in bounds pass, which even with a guy in your face you can still chuck it deep, thus drop the extra guy, create the jump ball at the other end, get the scrum going and the game is over, (typically what happens )with 3-4 seconds the plan changes because the offense can catch the ball dribble make a quick move and still get a shot. A pass to even a few feet in front of half court can kill you, even with a guy in your face you know well enough to chuck it deep and at that point you have 4 on 4 and not 4 on 5... The odds are thennot in your favor, you play the percentages. IMO, it was 100% the right call. you allow the 15 foot in bounds pass and give a 60 footer to win the game.

Even if Keita was guarding, I could throw the ball 60-70 feet and hope for the best because that is pretty much what it amounts to
Auerbach said you don't jump in Rythym and make the Inbounder throw it to the side, There is a limit to how far back you can stand when throwing the ball in also. Auerbach knew a little about BBALL

Red got real smart when he got the best team player in the history of sports. Before that, not so smart.
The Eagle with a Beard didn't guard the inbounds pass

Absolutely.
Given the short amount of time to catch and shoot, it was clear SU was willing to concede an inbounds pass to the front court.
As someone posted, JB usually fronts the guy passing the ball in, and since Pitino knows us so well, JB may have changed tactics just to cross-up the Cards strategy.

With 1.2 seconds left, it's a hial mary regardless, tough to tell who is actually open from 65-70 feet, the ball is getting tossed where the play indicates at that point, again the ball is getting tossed regardless, a guy jumping around like an idiot will not block a pass that needs to go that long and once that ball gets tossed it's a jump ball, it's either 4 versus 4 or 4 versus 5. With 3-4 seconds it's different but with 1-1.5 it's not. Again, I at 6-2 could throw the ball over keita as long as I need to throw to a certain area of the court 65 feet down the court. They basically have one play one option at that point, there really is no if/ then type scenario with that much time left. If there is 3-4 seconds you have to defends much more of the court and the inbounder has options

There is no right or wrong answer. Some coaches cover some don't. When the guy throwing the pass in bounds can't move, I am sure there are plenty of coaches that put a man on him.

james southerland (for all his shooting woes) does seem to have that special knack for harassing the inbounds pass. and while on the topic we ourselves might want to examine how we're inbounding esp. under our own basket. that was a pretty sad display last night that cost us a couple possessions.

I see the benefits of both putting an inbounds man and not.

I think the theory was if we have one extra defender we can force them to catch the ball with their back to the basket and turning around and chucking it is a hell of a lot harder to do than break free from one man catch it in stride around half court, and hit a miracle shot.

But with 0 timeouts left for L-ville, I personally would have put Keita, JS, and Fab all on the end line and said alternate jumping up and down and surround the ball, probably would have been tipped or a 5 second call.

But I have 0 career wins and Boeheim nearly 900

james southerland (for all his shooting woes) does seem to have that special knack for harassing the inbounds pass. and while on the topic we ourselves might want to examine how we're inbounding esp. under our own basket. that was a pretty sad display last night that cost us a couple possessions.

Yep, once with Triche, the other with Scoop...both appeared rather nonchalant and where the bounce pass would've been better...

This is an argument where both sides make sense. If you don't guard the inbounder, you gain an extra defender and make it harder for a pass to be caught. If you do guard the inbounder, you increase the difficulty of the pass being thrown.

To me, this indicates there's little difference either way.
There have been successful buzzer beaters against each technique.

Unguarded inbounder: ND against SU, Duke against Kentucky
Guarded inbounder: UConn against Clemson, Valpo against Ole Miss

But with 0 timeouts left for L-ville, I personally would have put Keita, JS, and Fab all on the end line and said alternate jumping up and down and surround the ball, probably would have been tipped or a 5 second call.

It probably would have led to neither of those outcomes and would have drastically increased Louisville's chances of success.

Watch Cincinnati's last possession and listen to Bilas commentary.

JB usually does have someone guard the in bounds. Not this time though, maybe because there was only a second left and he figured it might be better to be able to get a hand in the face of a possible shooter? In bounder was just going for Hail Mary anyhow and there isn't much chance you'll block that pass. Just guessing..

Agreed. If the inbounder is just chucking it rather than passing to someone does it matter if someone is in his face or not? And by not guarding the pass he's chucking it to 5 of us and 4 of them. With 1.7 seconds left I like it. More than 3 seconds I'd guard the pass.

I dont get it (and never have) especially considering our length (and how many times James has stolen an inbound). Lets say the guy defending the inbound causes a violation though, what is the penalty? Maybe JB considers that? Also it seems like having 5 guys running around in the frontcourt creates a situation where there could be a collision/foul.

That said, ND was a freakin miracle (and there were 3 seconds).

Watch Cincinnati's last possession and listen to Bilas commentary.

yep, my point exactly not enough time for options, you play the 4 versus 5 game, more time probably not

Actually he doesn't I still remember the 2006 Big East Tournament against Cincinnati G-Mac hits the 3 pointer to put us up 1 point and Cincinnati gets 1 last shot with nobody on the ball and Jihad Muhammed from Cincinnati got a clean look that would have been good if it was 1 inch longer hit the front of the rim.
2003 against Pittsburgh comes to mind; the refs decided that Knight didn't get the shot off in-time so it didn't matter, but I tend to think it wouldn't have been close if Warrick was guarding the in-bounder.

Russell was Player Coach for 3 Seasons
Right. He won two titles. It wasn't Red's coaching, it was the players. Russell's career as a coach proves it. He won titles with the Celtics, lost everywhere else.

It's a really hard thing to judge and really just come down to preference, both scenarios have their benefits vs drawbacks

If it was me coaching I guard the imbounds pass no matter what, but I understand the idea of having a player as sort of a "free safety" to roam and move to the ball to make it even harder to catch and shoot. Look what happened last night the pressure made L'ville not even get a shot off because they had to worry about a different defender.

For every Christian laettner turnaround 100 ft pass at the foul line their is probably 5000 examples of the team not making a miracle shot, and if the pass had to be that long, JB was thinking, I got a few defenders actively hunting the ball down like Derrel Revis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom