Now Legal: Schools Buying Players | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Now Legal: Schools Buying Players

In addition it creates a very class-divided team. The stars get a lot of money and the non-stars get nada. I doubt that would be good.

Well in a way, it's already like that in terms of attention from other students, fans, and the media.

In addition it creates a very class-divided team. The stars get a lot of money and the non-stars get nada. I doubt that would be good.
1, that's not a sure thing, and 2, so what?

Just the first step before these sports programs (mainly football and basketball) just break away from the NCAA and the athletic departments become an official minor league for the NFL and NBA. This is step 1 of that process!

Well in a way, it's already like that in terms of attention from other students, fans, and the media.
Money's different which is why we are talking about it now.

Hmm...let's break down these costs (excluding tuition, fees, room and board, and books.)

I'm from NJ, so let's use this as an example:

United round trip tickets from Hancock to Newark currently run about $300 (although this is closer to $500 during holidays).

So let's say I go home 3 times a year (Thanksgiving week, Christmas, Spring break):
That's $900-$1500 right there in airfare.

Plus $3o0/month for food (times 9 for the months in school) = $2700
Plus another $200 for gas/month (times 9 for months in school) = $1800

So that's $1500 + $2700 + $1800 = $6000. So it's not totally absurd that some schools are offering close to this amount of money.

What is absurd however, is that a school can basically use the same math i did above to justify their payments. Sprinkle another thousand in here or there for some extraneous charge...

You spend 200 a month on gas?? How do you find so much time to drive around as a student?

You spend 200 a month on gas?? How do you find so much time to drive around as a student?

That was just an estimation. I've lived in the city for a while now and forget how much I used to spend on gas. Was this number way too high?

Last edited:
Forget about all of the technical government CofA aspects to this. Why in the world is this how they agreed to determine the stipend? Why is this not a flat rate? Thank god Alabama is in the same boat as us (basically) on this issue. At least that guarantees somebody with clout will fight this.

That was just an estimation. I've lived in the city for a while now and forget how much I used to spend on gas. Was this number way to high?

At $4 a gallon it would be 1,250 miles a month while at even $2.50/gallon it would mean 2,000 miles a month if your car averages 25 miles/gallon. That's quite a bit of traveling to average.

It doesn't take a SU2NASA to figure out where this is going.

SU gets raped by the NCAA for an administrator writing a paper for a player while the SEC can tell us it is 3 times more expensive to live in the rural SE than LA and Boston and the NCAA just watches.

But the good news for the SEC...they are still paying the athletes way less than they have to pay the handlers and relatives to get these kids to commit.
Not only is the cost of living in Alabama minimal ... so are the classes.

You mean like the real world? Is this honestly a concern you have?

People who are afraid of progress/change really do grasp at the silliest things.

You mean like the real world? Is this honestly a concern you have?

People who are afraid of progress/change really do grasp at the silliest things.
I am not afraid of "progress" . I just don't see this as progress. Once they start paying kids like they do pros, college football and basketball won't exist. That's progress!

I am not afraid of "progress" . I just don't see this as progress. Once they start paying kids like they do pros, college football and basketball won't exist. That's progress!
Why will it not exist?

The players won't be in college any longer. They will be employees. College football = college students playing football.
So exploitation is the essence of college sports and without it it doesn't exist? I'm not seeing why getting paid like an employee and being a student-athlete are mutually exclusive things.

So exploitation is the essence of college sports and without it it doesn't exist? I'm not seeing why getting paid like an employee and being a student-athlete are mutually exclusive things.
We disagree here. I think it will lead to a state that I won't be interested in watching. I think others won't be too. If I am an alum and these kids are not really students, why do I care about them? No affiliation. I get it. You will still care. You find no difference. We have different opinions.

We disagree here. I think it will lead to a state that I won't be interested in watching. I think others won't be too. If I am an alum and these kids are not really students, why do I care about them? No affiliation. I get it. You will still care. You find no difference. We have different opinions.

They'd still be students. When I was a student I worked in a computer lab and got paid for it. I also worked for a college years later and took classes. And even if somehow they were not students - you'd care about them because they represent your alma mater.

I don't mind agreeing to disagree. We all see the world a little differently.