Now that Hawaii needs a new HC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Now that Hawaii needs a new HC

Anea if I offered should take the Hawaii job I don’t think it gets any better for a guy who’s 62 or 63

Two most important coaches to hold onto are White and Beck anyways.
Agree. It wouldn't be ideal, but Beck would be crazy to choose OC at Hawaii over Syracuse in my mind. Two main reasons. ACC exposure is better than Hawaii. Also allows him to answer the question if he is the guy, or needs to be complimented by Anae.

Out of total curiosity, I looked up the 2021 salary for Anae at Virginia and Graham at Hawaii. This is a VERY quick Google.

Anae made $550k at Virginia. Graham made $800k base at Hawaii. This means nothing, but Hawaii is very much on the Have Not side of the college football coin. While Syracuse is not necessarily a "Have", it's still the ACC.

The massive homeless and raging meth problem is a huge turnoff to me. I’ve never been approached by so many aggressive out of there mind junkies and I’ve worked in some shady areas in my life. Once you leave the resorts and the main drag through Waikiki you are fair game to the insane asylum patients that call that place home.

Parts of Europe are worse IMO or at least at par, France and Italy especially. I have family in Hawaii, I would never live there. But I’ve never felt so uneasy being aggressively stalked by people as I have in France, Spain, and even parts of Germany.

Last edited:
Hawaii would be a great LAST job before retirement. For any coach with aspirations of being a HC at a P-5 school, it's a dead end.

Just so we're up to speed...

Anae and Beck are headed to Hawaii...

Tony White is headed to UCLA to replace Jerry Azzinaro...

Sean Tucker is giving up football so he can qualify for the 2024 Olympics in Paris...

And we're out of coffee.

:oops:

And half of Liverpool has lost power while the other half has lost Spectrum.

Finally got my power about at 10:15 am. Still waiting on Spectrum. Heard a tower went down behind Honda City on Henry Clay.
Got my power back at 8:02, and Fios came right on.

Potential candidates to fill UH football head coaching vacancy following Todd Graham’s sudden resignation

Candidates are listed in alphabetical order of last name:

Robert Anae, Syracuse offensive coordinator

Anae, a Kahuku alum and former Hawaii graduate assistant, came close to landing the job in 2020, even flying to the islands to interview for the job in person back when he was Virginia’s offensive coordinator.
This is bad news, like really really bad news. Dang it hope he decides to stay.

This is bad news, like really really bad news. Dang it hope he decides to stay.
It's just a list a local TV station put together. This doesn't mean this is who Hawaii athletics is actually considering.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after him and I wouldn't be surprised or blame him if he took the job. I'm not sure where his family lives now, it's entirely possible they're all on the mainland as it seems like his brothers and kids went to BYU, but if his family still there it's a no brainer. He's 63 years old, born and raise on the north shore, was a grad assistant at Hawaii and he's at his 12th stop (including 3 separate stints at BYU). If I was a career assistant bouncing all over the country and I got offered the head coaching job at Syracuse, it wouldn't matter where i was an assistant at, I'd be taking the Syracuse HC job. And retiring there. Unless I was Doug Marrone.

I think both of them were aware of the situation at Hawaii when they came to SU. Hawaii is not a cheap place to live. Syracuse is.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after him and I wouldn't be surprised or blame him if he took the job. I'm not sure where his family lives now, it's entirely possible they're all on the mainland as it seems like his brothers and kids went to BYU, but if his family still there it's a no brainer. He's 63 years old, born and raise on the north shore, was a grad assistant at Hawaii and he's at his 12th stop (including 3 separate stints at BYU). If I was a career assistant bouncing all over the country and I got offered the head coaching job at Syracuse, it wouldn't matter where i was an assistant at, I'd be taking the Syracuse HC job. And retiring there. Unless I was Doug Marrone.

HC at Hawaii is a bigger job than OC at Syracuse and he’s from there.

If he goes, Beck becomes the OC.

We have a plan B, and given what happened a couple years ago with the DC hire, perhaps there is a buyout situation that precludes the realities of it even happening. But with this one, I would hold zero bad will towards a guy heading home for his first HC position.

HC at Hawaii is a bigger job than OC at Syracuse and he’s from there.

If he goes, Beck becomes the OC.

We have a plan B, and given what happened a couple years ago with the DC hire, perhaps there is a buyout situation that precludes the realities of it even happening. But with this one, I would hold zero bad will towards a guy heading home for his first HC position.
Exactly my sentiments. It would not be a sky is falling situation. It'd be a no s*** can't blame the guy one bit situation.

One would think Anae would take the Hawaii job if offered if he still has family and friends there. I would hope Beck stays. How much does Hawaii pay their OC. I would imagine Beck would make a lot more at SU as OC than Hawaii.

Or another scenario could be… do we know any other HC’s with Hawaii connections? That would be something

Last edited:
Why would any one want to go there. JB won a tournament there in November a few years ago and he was not impressed. The quote went something like this, "What's the big deal about the weather. It's like Syracuse in July.
Have you ever been to Oahu? Every day of the year is nicer than Syracuse in July. You can surf every day, the community is great, and its beautiful. UH-Manoa admin on the other hand is sub-par probably the worst I have ever dealt with. That is the one thing that has turned off many coaches from going there.

Is it though? Hawaii is currently playing home games on a practice field with temporary stands around it because their stadium is condemned.

The HC at a D-1 school that one calls home >>>> Coordinator at a closer-to-the-bottom-than-top ACC program. Absolutely.

The HC at a D-1 school that one calls home >>>> Coordinator at a closer-to-the-bottom-than-top ACC program. Absolutely.
Hard disagree, but I think we come to our conclusions from very different directions, so it is what it is.

Also, I can’t recommend the Split Zone Duo podcast enough - it’s been very influential on how I think about college football.

XFLNewsHub liked

Scott Schlittenhart

@Scottschlittenh

·
4h

Sources have told me that Kevin Sumlin has been contacted about the position. He is torn on what to do as he just took a job with the Houston gamblers in the XFL. More to come as this story develops.
Quote Tweet

q52Is70M_mini.jpg

Hawaii Football

@HawaiiFootball
· 15h
Graham resigns as UH head football coach; the search for a new head coach begins immediately
Link symbol
Graham Resigns As UH Head Football Coach - University of Hawai'i at Manoa Athletics

Why would any one want to go there. JB won a tournament there in November a few years ago and he was not impressed. The quote went something like this, "What's the big deal about the weather. It's like Syracuse in July.
Beat me to it. Go talk to him, JB and explain why today, with below 0 temperatures, and an impending nor eastern, is better than Hawaii at this time of the year.

Worst case scenario, he leaves and Beck becomes OC. Which I kind of prefer anyway.

Syracuse case scenario, both leave and we’re starting over. I don’t think they both leave though if anyone even leaves at all.
"Syracuse case scenario" This may be the best phrase ever coined on this board or anywhere for that matter!! :p:p