NY Jets 2018 Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NY Jets 2018 Thread

If this is what happened, I'm encouraged.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Sam Darnold had just completed a 16-yard pass to Quincy Enunwa on the first play of the second quarter last Friday night, and the play clock was winding down as Darnold and his offensive teammates stood in the huddle, seemingly confused. Instead of taking a delay penalty on the New York Giants' 12-yard line, Darnold called timeout.

To the outside world, this was an obvious case of indecision by a rookie quarterback. The golden boy had a brain cramp. He botched the play call.

Except he didn't.

"I tried to correct him," Enunwa said, smiling. "I thought he called the wrong play, but he actually called it right. It was on me. It wasn't like I was being an a--h---. I was trying to help him. It was on me and Terrelle [Pryor]. We thought it was a different play."

Moral of the story: The New York Jets' young quarterback knows what he's doing.

On the next play, Darnold found Pryor on a shallow cross for a touchdown -- the third read in his progression.

~ESPN

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pryor have a reputation as a bit of a head case? I mean not like Jarvis Landry, but, well you know, a bit toward the headstrong?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Pryor have a reputation as a bit of a head case? I mean not like Jarvis Landry, but, well you know, a bit toward the headstrong?
I think he’s grown out of it a bit and he doesn’t really have a choice. He’s probably behind Kearse, Anderson, and Enunwa at this point so he needs to be a good teammate. I wouldn’t mind seeing Enunwa play some TE if it gets Pryor on the field with those other weapons.

I think he’s grown out of it a bit and he doesn’t really have a choice. He’s probably behind Kearse, Anderson, and Enunwa at this point so he needs to be a good teammate. I wouldn’t mind seeing Enunwa play some TE if it gets Pryor on the field with those other weapons.

Tks for that. I agree Enunwa has beast-level skills if they commit to using him the right way(s). Especially if they run a spread at least some of the time.

Darnold is the youngest starting QB in something like 55-60 years. He's only been a QB for something like 5 years, and now he's going to have to read an NFL defense. Got my fingers crossed. I fear he's gonna need it.

I’m more worried about both of the lines and the injuries on the defense. He’s definitely in a tough spot but he’s going to be good in time.

Didn't start off well tonight obviously, but have to think Jets fans are encouraged by what Darnold is showing. He was my top choice at QB in the draft.

Is this when I buy Super Bowl tickets? I feel like Ricky Bobby and I don’t know what to do with my hands. (I’m kidding and I know this team will crush my soul but this has been awful fun tonight)

Jets got a 15 year QB while the Giants got a RB for 5-6 years.

That pick by the Giants will rue the day as Darnold looks like Carson Wentz.

Terrible pick (says bitter Giants fan that wanted Darnold). I really wanted Darnold. Ah well. Good for the Jets, I guess.

that was 1 of the 4 games I wanted the jets to win this year...nice job!!!

Fireman Ed was there! I love it!

Wow. B+ to Darnold tonight. Pretty solid debut. Jets D was better than I've seen in a long time. Some strong play, sure, but closing out on the ball was good while it counted.

Darnolds ability to stretch the field will help the running game.

All three teams played with energy, like they had something to prove. It was great to see.

Now, I know from coaching experience that while yes, the Jets were good, a large part of tonight was that Detroit just stunk (and I have Stafford in my fantasy draft). But it's gonna be a lot more fun this year. 8-8 won't get us into the playoffs, but it will be an entertaining season nonetheless as the kids learn how to win.

Hey, we're tied for first! :)

I like that he can keep the pocket alive but isn't looking to run. He is always looking to sling it.

He showed remarkable composure for a kid that young, especially after throwing that first INT. And I loved the smile on his face when the Jets fans migrated down behind the Jets bench late in the game. :)

Looking forward to our matchup vs the jets this week.

It was an absolutely amazing opener. Way too soon to even think about playoffs, but not too soon to expect a better season than we had last year. A few thoughts:

1. Pre-draft i was far from convinced Darnold was better than Mayfield. Jury will be out on that one for awhile, but I am sold that Darnold will be an above average QB for many years. Is he real franchise QB, will he become a superstar.....way too soon to tell, but i like his chances.

2. O-line was a huge surprise. Depth there is probably a problem if somebody gets hurt, but if healthy they just might stand up.

3. Enunwa is the bread & butter for this O. lot's of other solid pieces. Powell, just so underrated with doing all the small right things.

4. D looked very good, but it badly needs a pass rusher. Glad it wasn't Mack, price was too high. Plenty of cap room next off-season to fill that void. lack of a pass rush will hurt in games against better QBs.

All in all, a thrilling opener. Everybody looked solid to excellent.

Lions kind of rolled over, will need to see how things go in more competitive games. A year's development from Sam, a big-time pass rusher, and a stud lineman and the Jets just might be serious contenders as early as next season. Not to say they don't have a playoff shot this year, but you can't project that based on one game, no matter how good.

Is Bowles a good coach?
As if this team goes 7-9/8-8 they could be an appealing job next offseason.
While I thought Stafford was why the Jets D looked good the offense was legit as Darnold showed he is good.

Jets got a legit QB for the first time since Chad Pennington pre-shoulder injury.
Sanchez had a stud D behind him. Jets need help at CB but you got good S and Lee looks good at LB.

I am glad the Pats don’t play the Jets to till the end of the year.

Is Bowles a good coach?

I'm not sure he's a good coach. But he's certainly better, and has a better team around him, than when he first showed up in Floral Park.

Miami's defense was a lot better than Detroit's. Darnold never looked comfortable. Can't keep getting behind early like that. And they're not going to play an easy D Thursday night, either. Absorbing some learning curve.

Well, there's this at least:

"Nearly an hour after the game, receiver Terrelle Pryor was in front of his locker, telling the world he messed up on Darnold's second interception. He said he ran a sloppy route in the back of the end zone and he apologized to Darnold after the game. This was significant on a couple of levels. It showed maturity from Pryor, who was known as a "me" guy last season in Washington. More importantly, it was a vote of confidence for the young quarterback, who already has set a standard for himself and those around him."

Quite a different locker room from the one in which Geno Smith got punched out.

Good grief, I just looked at a 2014 roster and the only names I recognized were Brian Winter, Quincy Enunwa Ben Ijalana and Bilal Powell. Who did I miss?

Well, I am a Jet fan. I am also a big Baker Mayfield fan as Oklahoma is my "western" college football team and I just love the style with which Baker plays. so, I was concurrently rooting for Baker to star and the jets to win. Of course anything relating to the Jets winning leads to disappointment.

Mayfield was simply dazzling in his debut. He totally took over the game.

He looked polished and extremely talented, far ahead of Darnold. Of course, Darnold is two years younger and he will improve over time.However, Mayfield has a certain "it" factor that I am not feeling in darnold.

It is just the Jet's luck that the browns took Mayfield first to everybody else's surprise.

Of course, it is only one game and it is too early to jump to conclusions, but right now I am seeing stardom for Baker and just an adequate slightly above average QB in Darnold's future.

Agreed, Mayfield looked terrific. Good for Cleveland for having the jam to take him.

I also think Cleveland has a better team around Mayfield than NYJ has around Darnold. The Jets just have to play better, and starting with their O-line.

Last edited:
Agreed, Mayfield looked terrific. Good for Cleveland for having the jam to take him.

I also think Cleveland has a better team around Mayfield than NYY has around Darnold. The Jets just have to play better, and starting with their O-line.
The jets are a couple of years away this
year isn't about wins and losses its about getting the kid experience. You need to go out and build up the ol get some receivers and bring in a decent coach.

year isn't about wins and losses its about getting the kid experience. You need to go out and build up the ol get some receivers and bring in a decent coach.

Yep, Bowles is a good man and a good DC, but not a HC.