NYS Ban on Native American names/mascots | Syracusefan.com

NYS Ban on Native American names/mascots

buffalorange

2nd String
The NYS Board of Education has implemented a ban on all native american team names and mascots. Okay. Then the board goes further. Schools like Liverpool who used to use a native american mascot, but changed to a roman/greek mascot must also change the team name. Why? Because that nickname used to refer to a native american mascot. This action seems punitive. Anyone have thoughts?

The NYS Board of Education has implemented a ban on all native american team names and mascots. Okay. Then the board goes further. Schools like Liverpool who used to use a native american mascot, but changed to a roman/greek mascot must also change the team name. Why? Because that nickname used to refer to a native american mascot. This action seems punitive. Anyone have thoughts?
I have so many thoughts will ultimately get me in trouble if spoken. The Warrior is not exclusive to Natives. "A brave and experienced soldier". If I was Liverpool, I'd fight to the death on this one.

Also, Indian River has to drop "Warriors", but can keep Indian River? Thats ridiculous.

Cancel Warrior Lacrosse brand. Cancel Golden State. Cancel Las Vegas Raiders. Cancel Raiders of the Lost Ark. Cancel the movie Warriors. Cancel Red Devil tools. It's all too much.

Cause we are living in a PC world
And I am a PC girl… or boy

Warriors with a mascot not related to making a cartoonish clown out of a race of people seems fine to me. I don’t really understand that one.

For most of the other examples though….(Indians, etc.) complaining that we can’t make cartoonish clownish goofy mascots out of races of people anymore are weird to me though. Think about what you’re clinging to. Frankly, unless you’re a Native American, I don’t think you should get to say what’s offensive and disrespectful to Native Americans.

Warriors with a mascot not related to making a cartoonish clown out of a race of people seems fine to me. I don’t really understand that one.

For most of the other examples though….(Indians, etc.) complaining that we can’t make cartoonish clownish goofy mascots out of races of people anymore are weird to me though. Think about what you’re clinging to. Frankly, unless you’re a Native American, I don’t think you should get to say what’s offensive and disrespectful to Native Americans.

As someone who works with many tribes on a work project the past two years, if the tribes desire it to be changed or laws preventing such usage then there is no argument against it. Spend some time on a few reservations and learn the history. I will leave it at that.

I will just add I didn't get it really before my recent experience around it. I very much get it now.

Last edited:
As someone who works with many tribes on a work project the past two years, if the tribes desire it to be changed or laws preventing such usage then there is no argument against it. Spend some time on a few reservations and learn the history. I will leave it at that.

I will just add I didn't get it really before my recent experience around it. I very much get it now.
I understand changing mascots. There should be latitude for districts with native american student bodies to keep a name and mascot. For example, Lafayette schools, or Salamanca.

What is less clear is the state school board's decree that if a school such as Liverpool used a native american mascot in the past and has changed that mascot, the school must now change its teams' name. Liverpool will be required to change the "warrior" name to something else. The board's position seems to be that because a school at one time had a native american mascot, the team name is now somehow tainted. That idea seems to be a punishment. The school has already gone through the conflict and expense of changing the logo and purchasing new uniforms. Now, it must be done again to change the team name. It seems vindictive.

That was 2012 for me. Did a tour of reservations in the dakotas, Montana and Wyoming. Changed my perspective on life, if I’m honest.

I wholly agree with the last sentence and frankly I think that as a whole, the Native American* population has far more to worry about (abject poverty, rampant drug use, missing girls and women, low education rate, high crime rates) than some nicknames of high schools.
But the NY progressive, facist, word police white elites can glad hand themselves into a happy ending while proclaiming all the good they have done for the Native American population in NY state, when they have not made a difference at all.

*If humans first came to North America via the Bering straight, is any race or ethnic group native?

I wholly agree with the last sentence and frankly I think that as a whole, the Native American* population has far more to worry about (abject poverty, rampant drug use, missing girls and women, low education rate, high crime rates) than some nicknames of high schools.
But the NY progressive, facist, word police white elites can glad hand themselves into a happy ending while proclaiming all the good they have done for the Native American population in NY state, when they have not made a difference at all.

*If humans first came to North America via the Bering straight, is any race or ethnic group native?
Lesser problem, maybe. But an easy fix. So what’s the big deal here? I wish all problems were this easy to solve.

I understand changing mascots. There should be latitude for districts with native american student bodies to keep a name and mascot. For example, Lafayette schools, or Salamanca.

What is less clear is the state school board's decree that if a school such as Liverpool used a native american mascot in the past and has changed that mascot, the school must now change its teams' name. Liverpool will be required to change the "warrior" name to something else. The board's position seems to be that because a school at one time had a native american mascot, the team name is now somehow tainted. That idea seems to be a punishment. The school has already gone through the conflict and expense of changing the logo and purchasing new uniforms. Now, it must be done again to change the team name. It seems vindictive.

A couple of things- without reading into the background on how they came to that enforcement decision and how much input tribes have, I would withhold sharing your view as to it being vindictive.

One thing that you should know is that the state of NY does not fully recognize and arguably not at all the sovereignty of tribal areas/reservations in NY through a court decision years back that was ultimately affirmed at the federal level and thus they cite federal statute as a result. NY tribes have thus been further reduced of their original rights similar somewhat to Oklahoma but that's a whole other animal.

So outside of the way over the top political references you are correct in that differences/impacts are minimal. That said you need to understand the culture and the value placed upon sovereignty and principles for those that still practice traditions and work to preserve them. With so little left( see my post around NY have federal statute protection from many years ago), victories are a matter of gaining respect and acknowledgement for these communities. It's hard to pick up the pieces and correct any of the issues if the rest of the world around you sees every claim you make as trivial.

Yep. The 3 states I've spent the most time in as well
We‘ll have to compare notes. Hey, you take any pics out there? Need them for a project my kid is working on for school. Reservations specifically.

We‘ll have to compare notes. Hey, you take any pics out there? Need them for a project my kid is working on for school. Reservations specifically.

Unfortunately not. Didn't get a lot of time to roam was mostly with a tribe member and was trying not to act like a tourist... the wife is still upset on that one too...

Happy to compare notes though. Actually headed back out again in a couple months

Also, Killers of the Flower Moon about the Osage in Oklahoma was a great read.

I don’t have any of reservations but I do have a bunch from Wupatki National park. If you’re looking for reservations pics specifically I doubt this help but if it does send me a message.

This is such a sad life perspective.

So why are the Neb Cornhusker and the ND Irish mascots deemed ok among many others.

Just not clear on why Indian depictions are demeaning/racist but Cowboy ones are not.

That’s kinda like saying black people and women should ignore the N- and B-words because they have more significant issues to deal with.

Native would probably refer to the first people to occupy a space, no? So, yes, some race or ethnic groups would be considered native. What am I missing?

Oh, so you’re speaking for them now?