NYSPHSAA not helping football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

NYSPHSAA not helping football

Yeah, the valley Pop Warner team still is combined, along with the youth baseball team. They run it under the Kuyahoora moniker instead of WCV or Poland. And yeah, those were the good old days, before we knew anything about life in general. lol

Qbobby, did you play in the early 80's on that Pop Warner team?

Qbobby, did you play in the early 80's on that Pop Warner team?

Early 80s would have put me in 5th or 6th, so probably not. I played in 8th grade, and the varsity team was horrible my entire time in high school. lol The old 2 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Early 80s would have put me in 5th or 6th, so probably not. I played in 8th grade, and the varsity team was horrible my entire time in high school. lol The old 2 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

I'm 47, I moved in 9th grade to Ohio. So, that would put my playing time at 81-83. We almost played on the same teams. LOL. Such a small world.

So am I, but I just missed the birth date cutoff for school so I would have been a year behind you. Small world for sure!

Lafayette and Tully merged into a combined team called "Southern Hills" this season.

So am I, but I just missed the birth date cutoff for school so I would have been a year behind you. Small world for sure!

That would have been awesome if we ended up playing for the same team. That said, I don't remember much other than getting the wind knocked out of me during practice playing "Smear the Queer" (sorry guys, that's what we called it back then), and forcing three fumbles in one game. The latter was the highlight of my three year career. :D

You guys have restrictive rules, and they should address the whole thing. Worked, in our similar areas. More than a handful of schools can now play football.(combined)

We would have made all your smaller divisions into 1. Say 500 or less... And then they used common sense, where good programs(less enrollment) moved up, bad programs(more enrollment) moved down..

Football is equally about preparation, so the different enrollment sizes were fairly irrelevant.

Example. Top division has the best programs, regardless of enrollment. Most schools, 1500-1800. Largest at 3300. The smallest, 900, 1100, 1100. The 3300 didn't make the playoffs. Both 1100's did(and beat 2200's first round) The 900 was 3 points away from the championship game... Champion had 15 schools larger.(by as many as 2000, but generally 4-500).

I'm calling hogwash on those concerned about equal enrollment. Plenty of examples to fix your problems, without being forced to silly 8 man...

i dont think 8 man is all that silly, it predates 11 man for most schools, more men were added as more people played and schools got bigger, 7, 8, 11 they all bring something different to the game. i would argue that 7-8 man for schools under a certain size make more sense, if you have a school that has more people willing to play then you probably have more commitment and a bigger roster so play up a class. if all schools under 2-300 played 7-8 man we wouldnt be having most of the discussions of dropping the sport. more kids would see playing time and probably some schools would see more kids playing , instead of sitting on the sideline as a soccer player.

New Hartford help is about 10 years away once my son's are old enough, they will be ok
Nice. Jim Kramer is a great guy & quite knowledgeable. Hopefully he can turn the program around. Their previous coach really had no business being in the position. When I was in HS, the W'boro-NH rivalry was much more fun because they were competitive. Our games were nail biters. They even beat us my Soph year & played us for the Section 3 title in The Dome a few years after I graduated. It's amazing how far that program has fallen & the difference in football between 2 similar sized schools literally minutes apart.

That would have been awesome if we ended up playing for the same team. That said, I don't remember much other than getting the wind knocked out of me during practice playing "Smear the Queer" (sorry guys, that's what we called it back then), and forcing three fumbles in one game. The latter was the highlight of my three year career. :D
Lol @ "smear the queer." that seems like a million years ago. But it was the inspiration for me to be as fast as I was.

Nice. Jim Kramer is a great guy & quite knowledgeable. Hopefully he can turn the program around. Their previous coach really had no business being in the position. When I was in HS, the W'boro-NH rivalry was much more fun because they were competitive. Our games were nail biters. They even beat us my Soph year & played us for the Section 3 title in The Dome a few years after I graduated. It's amazing how far that program has fallen & the difference in football between 2 similar sized schools literally minutes apart.
I went from Auburn, a program that has great tradition but has had some rough stretches to a similar program in New Hartford

i dont think 8 man is all that silly, it predates 11 man for most schools, more men were added as more people played and schools got bigger, 7, 8, 11 they all bring something different to the game. i would argue that 7-8 man for schools under a certain size make more sense, if you have a school that has more people willing to play then you probably have more commitment and a bigger roster so play up a class. if all schools under 2-300 played 7-8 man we wouldnt be having most of the discussions of dropping the sport. more kids would see playing time and probably some schools would see more kids playing , instead of sitting on the sideline as a soccer player.
Well, I think it's silly, IF every attempt is not made to rectify the problem(join forces). If no possible solution, so be it.

I base this on the nature of football.(and that it worked here-no 8 man, just more schools able to play) Football is 90% strength and conditioning.(off season) The game is just the vehicle, to get kids working harder, by choice. With less competition, easy playing time, etc.., the incentive to do that work, is far less, or removed.

In a joined team(more #'s), the lessons football can teach, become more apparent. The increase in competition, is good for on the field, and off...

To rectify playing time... We'll have up to 4 teams per school.. the kids that do the work move up.

My 2 cents. 8 man shouldn't be the solution. It should be the absolute last resort, as other solutions work elsewhere.

Agreed but in Pulaski's situation...joining Sandy Creek or Mexico are actually pretty close alternatives. Both are about 10 mins away.
West Leyden, Boonville, Forestport, and every small 1 traffic light town in between joined together in the 70's to create Adirondack High School. I believe that it's the second largest school district in the state area wise. It goes from Forestport at the edge of the Adirondack park, all the way down south to Lee Center just outside of Rome. If they can figure out logistics in that big of an area for athletics, then surely these small schools 10 miles away from each other should have no problem. The former Illion and Mohawk school district have combined to form Central Valley, and compete in class B.

Districts have no problem bussing kids long distances, in area high schools, when it benefits them.(real estate $$) They should also have no problem bussing kids when it benefits the kids(athletics).

It was encouraged here, and there is more football, and it's better. Seems restrictive there. Hell. Already sustainable programs joined with the same, in order to bump up a division, in order to give the kids a better experience. As it should be...imo

This may sound blasphemous, but perhaps Central New York has too many schools. Might want to consider broader consolidation, especially in the more rural areas.
Too many local fiefdoms too

All with hands in the cookie jar grabbing them tax payer dollars

This may sound blasphemous, but perhaps Central New York has too many schools. Might want to consider broader consolidation, especially in the more rural areas.

You can consolidate the athletics immediately, for the kids sake. Remove some of the restrictive rules. If you cant get the $$ to bus the dozen or so kids? Let the 2 coaches from your school drive 8 of them. Grab a parent/teacher or 2, and drive 8 more...Sign a waiver, if you must. Parents pick up at practice... Kids have football. The end.