Observation | Syracusefan.com

Observation

Sadly this board is starting to resemble comments on the Syracuse.com website...

Not true at all. The grammar is significantly better than that found on Syracuse.com. Most of us are capable of writing in complete and coherent sentences. So that's one huge difference.

And frankly, what do you expect during a six game losing streak where the team looks worse every week?

Not true at all. The grammar is significantly better than that found on Syracuse.com. Most of us are capable of writing in complete and coherent sentences. So that's one huge difference.

And frankly, what do you expect during a six game losing streak where the team looks worse every week?
Totally agree on the grammar...look I am just as disappointed as the next fan about a 6 game losing streak, however I do try and view the program in context. Yes the USF & Virginia losses could be blamed in part on in-game coaching mistakes, but I do not believe the state of the program is the result of bad coaching and we should can Shafer and start over yet again. Remember that last year was dominated by injuries where we played our 4th string QB, most of the O-line was hurt at some point, etc etc...I do not consider 2014 to be Shafer's fault.

In 2015 we again started out with an injury to our starting QB (what other program had to deal with that over 2 years?), now we have a freshman running the most important position on the field...and who is the best RB to hand off to? Another solid freshman, who are the best receiver targets? 2 sophs and a junior. At some points during the Louisville game we played a D-line with no one older than a soph, and LB's mostly made of sophs.

I've said it before, if this team had seniors and juniors dominating the 2 deep and the record was the same, I would be more inclined to say coaching may be the problem, but reality is the talent level on this team is young because the older guys inherited by Shafer are not ACC players. I cannot name a single SU upperclassman who will get drafted this year.

Maybe it's because I'm a Steelers fan and do not believe in firing coaches every other year, but my thought is Coyle is going to look at the fact that Shafer is well regarded with kids & recruits and runs a clean program. He is also proving that his recruits jump the 2-deep over most of the talent he inherited.

Totally agree on the grammar...look I am just as disappointed as the next fan about a 6 game losing streak, however I do try and view the program in context. Yes the USF & Virginia losses could be blamed in part on in-game coaching mistakes, but I do not believe the state of the program is the result of bad coaching and we should can Shafer and start over yet again. Remember that last year was dominated by injuries where we played our 4th string QB, most of the O-line was hurt at some point, etc etc...I do not consider 2014 to be Shafer's fault.

In 2015 we again started out with an injury to our starting QB (what other program had to deal with that over 2 years?), now we have a freshman running the most important position on the field...and who is the best RB to hand off to? Another solid freshman, who are the best receiver targets? 2 sophs and a junior. At some points during the Louisville game we played a D-line with no one older than a soph, and LB's mostly made of sophs.

I've said it before, if this team had seniors and juniors dominating the 2 deep and the record was the same, I would be more inclined to say coaching may be the problem, but reality is the talent level on this team is young because the older guys inherited by Shafer are not ACC players. I cannot name a single SU upperclassman who will get drafted this year.

Maybe it's because I'm a Steelers fan and do not believe in firing coaches every other year, but my thought is Coyle is going to look at the fact that Shafer is well regarded with kids & recruits and runs a clean program. He is also proving that his recruits jump the 2-deep over most of the talent he inherited.
Those young players you mention are not progressing. For the second season in a row the team is getting worse as the season goes along.

Well-coached teams with talented young players make progress and are better in games 10-12 than they were in games 1-3. Can you honestly say we're seeing that?

Last edited:

Good thoughts but others have pointed out a lot of negative issues that appear to supersede your defense of the current regime. If you haven't noticed, this is where we are right now:
image.jpeg

AND we use sentence case and (occasionally) punctuation!

I would much rather discuss new coaching options that quibble over Dungey's concussion status or where that info comes from. Once again, we find ourselves in a deep hole and sucking beyond comprehension. What should we be discussing, game planning for Clemson? I am hoping I can park close enough to keep the truck running because it will be over with 12 minutes to go in the 2nd.

Those young players you mention are not progressing. For the second season in a row the team is getting worse as the season goes along.

Well-coached teams with talented young players make progress and are better in games 10-12 than they were in games 1-3. Can you honestly say we're seeing that?

I think a lot of it is the young players just wearing down and getting beaten up a bit.

We don't have enough depth - especially on the DL.

Last game Arcinega and Franklin out - that hurts an already young defense.

orangenirvana said:
Those young players you mention are not progressing. For the second season in a row the team is getting worse as the season goes along. Well-coached teams with talented young players make progress and are better in games 10-12 than they were in games 1-3. Can you honestly say we're seeing that?

It appears that way but I can say definitively because the level of competition is much tougher now than those first 3. Plus we do have depth issues and haven't been able to adequately cover up for injuries. A year ago some of the guys playing on defense were supposed to be the depth, not the starters. And then when we get injuries like last game missing 3 starters who may have been depth guys a year ago, we're now down to the 3rd next man up. And they're playing against better comp than RI, Wake and CMU.

Tough call to just say we aren't improving IMO. It doesn't feel like we are but is it apples to apples?

It appears that way but I can say definitively because the level of competition is much tougher now than those first 3. Plus we do have depth issues and haven't been able to adequately cover up for injuries. A year ago some of the guys playing on defense were supposed to be the depth, not the starters. And then when we get injuries like last game missing 3 starters who may have been depth guys a year ago, we're now down to the 3rd next man up. And they're playing against better comp than RI, Wake and CMU.

Tough call to just say we aren't improving IMO. It doesn't feel like we are but is it apples to apples?

Wake is playing against the exact same competition and is improving. They were very competitive against both Louisville and FSU. While the transitive property isn't usually helpful, I think in this case there is evidence to show that we are not getting better in comparison to a team we were able to beat pretty handily.

NKR1978 said:
Wake is playing against the exact same competition and is improving. They were very competitive against both Louisville and FSU. While the transitive property isn't usually helpful, I think in this case there is evidence to show that we are not getting better in comparison to a team we were able to beat pretty handily.

That's why everyone said they were on the come up after last year... And then they came out and looked bad again. Wake is not a good example of getting the ship righted.

You said it better than I did.

Better competition - lack of depth - injuries.

Not coaching

I think a lot of it is the young players just wearing down and getting beaten up a bit.

We don't have enough depth - especially on the DL.

Last game Arcinega and Franklin out - that hurts an already young defense.

You could see this coming, though. The staff needed to bring in a few JC guys to bridge the gap.

If it looks like a duck...

Again, you're rationalizing and making it more complicated than it is. This team laid down on Saturday. Same defeatist look they had at this time a year ago. What's going to change a year from now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom