OC candidates for next year... | Syracusefan.com

OC candidates for next year...

orangeinjersey

All Conference
Do we have a thread with a list of guys who may be in the mix next year? Is Lester a sure fire permanent replacement? Heres a list with the OC's of non P5 teams ranked sequentially in Pass yards per game high to low Thoughts??

Tyson Helton - OC at Western Kentucky
Lincoln Riley OC @ ECU
Mike Bajakian OC @ Cinci
Jeff Jagodzinski OC @ Georgia State
Sterlin Gilbert - Co-OC and QB Coach at Bowling Green
John Bond - OC @ UMass
Dave Baldwin - OC @ Colorado State
James Coley - -OC @ Miami OH
Bill Leg - OC @ Marshall
Greg Peterson OC @ Tulsa

My guess is Lester is our OC next year.

even if we dont win another game?

If we don't win another game we might be looking for an entire new coaching staff starting from Shafer all the way down.

If we don't win another game we might be looking for an entire new coaching staff starting from Shafer all the way down.

No way the administration is gutting the staff to start over. Listen if Mike London can survive a few bad years, so can HCSS.

Do we have a thread with a list of guys who may be in the mix next year? Is Lester a sure fire permanent replacement? Heres a list with the OC's of non P5 teams ranked sequentially in Pass yards per game high to low Thoughts??

All assuming HCSS remains HCSS, my thoughts are (A) if offense improves significantly then it will still be Lester; (B) if offense doesn't improve significantly but improves, you may see OCGM part deux; (C) if offense tanks, you will see an OC with HCSS coaching genealogy. I don't think you will see any coaches coming here without ties to HCSS or other coaches on staff.

No way the administration is gutting the staff to start over. Listen if Mike London can survive a few bad years, so can HCSS.

Depends how this all turns out. I am sure the powers that be didn't like his post game speech and if it keeps getting worse I could see it. Our new person has ties to Ohio State and Ohio State has a great Asst coach that could be looking for a head coaching job soon. A lot of bad things will come up if we lose out.

My guess is Lester is our OC next year.
I would think Bill Cubit has a good chance of being available. Illinois is 2-10 and 4-8 in Tim Beckman's first two years and after their loss to Purdue, they look likely to lose all their B1G games this season. That would give them a 3-9 record, which would surely get him fired.

Right now, under Beckman, Illinois is 1-16 in B1G games. Not good.

Linkage

I would think Bill Cubit has a good chance of being available. Illinois is 2-10 and 4-8 in Tim Beckman's first two years and after their loss to Purdue, they look likely to lose all their B1G games this season. That would give them a 3-9 record, which would surely get him fired.

Linkage

Isnt Cubit who Shafer wanted first?

sutomcat said:

Linkage

Why would we want a guy with a worse offense than ours?

Mike London brings in top ten recruits and top 25 classes. He also makes considerably more money than Shafer. That's why he's still around.

Chad Morris of Clemson and promise him that the HC job will follow...

Why would we want a guy with a worse offense than ours?

Yeah that was going to be my question. Granted I haven't watched a single Illini game all year so I'm not sure if he's the issue or if they have crap like us going on - drops, overthrows, dumb penalties, poor clock management, etc.

Lincoln Riley OC @ ECU
Mike Bajakian OC @ Cinci
John Bond - OC @ UMass
Bill Leg - OC @ Marshall
Greg Peterson OC @ Tulsa

What's the thing with Jags, guy had two years a BC then disappeared

Lincoln Riley OC @ ECU
Mike Bajakian OC @ Cinci
John Bond - OC @ UMass
Bill Leg - OC @ Marshall
Greg Peterson OC @ Tulsa

Lincoln Riley in a heartbeat. 31 years old, bright, very well respected already, and worked with Mike Leach. Not likely to happen though.

"Riley is a disciple of Mike Leach, the former Texas Tech coach who now leads Washington State. Yet Riley has put his stamp on an East Carolina offense by using more formations, operating at a faster tempo and greater utilizing the running game than Leach’s get-it-and-go attacks.
“Lincoln’s one of the sharpest coaches I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with,” Leach said of Riley this week via email. “He elevated very, very quickly because of his work ethic and because of his awareness and understanding of football on offense.”

Riley’s up-tempo, spread offense has resulted in an East Carolina that a season ago ranked seventh nationally in third-down conversions (51 percent) and eighth in scoring (40-point average). The Pirates scored 52 points on N. C. Central last weekend in preparation for Saturday’s meeting with South Carolina.

The wide-open offense and big numbers have made Riley a much sought-after coach. Riley, whom he said will “become an old man” when he turns 31 Friday, reportedly rebuffed job overtures from North Carolina and Notre Dame during the offseason to remain on coach Ruffin McNeill’s staff."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/09/04/5150454/morris-lincoln-riley-makes-ecus.html

Linkage
get rid of lester and hire the guy lester learned everything from?

Depends how this all turns out. I am sure the powers that be didn't like his post game speech and if it keeps getting worse I could see it. Our new person has ties to Ohio State and Ohio State has a great Asst coach that could be looking for a head coaching job soon. A lot of bad things will come up if we lose out.

Im thinking that since the original "hire my friends" philosophy didnt pan out so well, that he might take a good look at hiring from the outside philosophy.

Didn't Riley turn down a big job this summer?

Well first, Illinois is 28th in total offense and Syracuse is 83rd, so you are wrong on that count.

But I mentioned Cubit's name because it will be at the top of Scott Shafer's list. He is going to be a strong candidate regardless of your opinion of him.

I omitted Cubit and Illinois becuase well they stink. However, i didnt bother to look at win/loss records of the others, so my list could have some flaws.

Illinois offense looks like I would want ours to look. 330 yards in the air 100 yards on the ground and over 26 points per game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom