rutgers, coach gone, who knows. failure

iowa, run based, physical D, success
NW, spread, physical D, success
Wisc, run based, physical D. success
Neb, was run based.. now throwing it all over, failure
Ill, spread, run based, failure
Minn, mix, failure
purdue.. just a mess, failure

out of this mix what is the background of the HC? at least 6 of the failures would fall in spread OC type? not sure on the teams that are winning other than NW.

lets review just one conf like the b10

MSU - run based , oline strength, physical D, success
OSU - run based, spread, physical D, success
mich - run based, physical D, success
PSU - run based, pro QB, wants to go to running QB , physical D
Ind - spread, plays no D, 6 win team, failure trying to trend up
mary - spread, plays no D, failure
rutgers, coach gone, who knows. failure

iowa, run based, physical D, success
NW, spread, physical D, success
Wisc, run based, physical D. success
Neb, was run based.. now throwing it all over, failure
Ill, spread, run based, failure
Minn, mix, failure
purdue.. just a mess, failure

out of this mix what is the background of the HC? at least 6 of the failures would fall in spread OC type? not sure on the teams that are winning other than NW.

I would have no problem with a great power game but Doug Marrone isnt coming here and I know Jim Harbaugh isn't walking through that door. You need great OLine coaching for a good power offense

clemson spread, physical D, success
FSU, pro, physical D , success
louv - pro/spread? ehhh
NC state, spread. avg at best
SU - spread, failure
Wake failure
BC, Pro/spread/power? failure

UNC spread, physical D, success this year
Pitt Pro, avg
Miami physical D, not sure on O,, avg got coach fired
Duke Spread, some success, just above avg
VT - spread, physical D, trending down
Virg, spread failure
GT, Option failure

the teams that won this year played the best D other than BC who had no offense at all. throw out Clem/UNC /BC and most the league scored 190-220 pts in conference and we are right on the middle of that just like Lou/VT 3 scores from being the 3rd highest scoring offense on the league.. the D let us down not the O..

I would have no problem with a great power game but Doug Marrone isnt coming here and I know Jim Harbaugh isn't walking through that door. You need great OLine coaching for a good power offense
i agree, but the oline cant suck either just needs to be able to make 3rd and 2 a 50/50 play . our offense was so bad we scored 14 pts less than FSU against mostly the same schedule. if we had allowed 144 like they did what would our record be? easily 3 wins better or more.

clemson spread, physical D, success
FSU, pro, physical D , success
louv - pro/spread? ehhh
NC state, spread. avg at best
SU - spread, failure
Wake failure
BC, Pro/spread/power? failure

UNC spread, physical D, success this year
Pitt Pro, avg
Miami physical D, not sure on O,, avg got coach fired
Duke Spread, some success, just above avg
VT - spread, physical D, trending down
Virg, spread failure
GT, Option failure

the teams that won this year played the best D other than BC who had no offense at all. throw out Clem/UNC /BC and most the league scored 190-220 pts in conference and we are right on the middle of that just like Lou/VT 3 scores from being the 3rd highest scoring offense on the league.. the D let us down not the O..
You are calling SU a spread?

what else was it? 1 back double wing 2 wide? its not an I..
It certainly was not a spread. One of the problems with the offense is that it tried to do too many things. We had power formations from which we ran inside and outside zone reads and option. Don't you agree that a spread needs to be run out of a spread formation? After all, spread is a formation not a system.

It certainly was not a spread. One of the problems with the offense is that it tried to do too many things. We had power formations from which we ran inside and outside zone reads and option. Don't you agree that a spread needs to be run out of a spread formation? After all, spread is a formation not a system.
a spread is anything not running 2 backs and and the QB not behind center, everything else is formation based and motion off that anyway. we never ran power all year, no lead FB or TE at all, hardly ever a pulling sweep, never ran a toss sweep 1 time. a power team can run a Sneak one time.

a spread is anything not running 2 backs and and the QB not behind center, everything else is formation based and motion off that anyway. we never ran power all year, no lead FB or TE at all, hardly ever a pulling sweep, never ran a toss sweep 1 time. a power team can run a Sneak one time.
LOL

we were finesse team, we were so far from power it wasnt funny. this wasnt the triple option OK/NEB power running game. we couldnt even go 2 TE cause we never had 2 healthy ones.

I think you just created your own definition. A spread is only a spread when you spread the defenders out. If you don't do that it is not a spread. That means linemen and receivers.
A Triple Option would meet your definition of a spread.
BTW I thought I saw tight ends out there, sometimes 2.

I think you just created your own definition. A spread is only a spread when you spread the defenders out. If you don't do that it is not a spread. That means linemen and receivers.
A Triple Option would meet your definition of a spread.
BTW I thought I saw tight ends out there, sometimes 2.
we finished the year with 2 TE , if you saw 2 it was a fluke not the norm and when did a triple option become a spread since that would be default put 8-9 in the box every play.

by your definition its only a spread if you go 3 wide then?

we finished the year with 2 TE , if you saw 2 it was a fluke not the norm and when did a triple option become a spread since that would be default put 8-9 in the box every play.

by your definition its only a spread if you go 3 wide then?

You have to spread out linemen and receivers. You can do that with two wide outs but usually 3 or more. The whole point of a spread is to create gaps, for running and passing lanes and distance to the QB. To make the defense defend the whole field all the time.

My point was that by using yourcdefinition the triple would be a spread, which it obviously is not. We ran the triple quite a lot.

Grob (DC) - Poor Results
Marrone (OC) - Good Results
Shafer (DC) - Poor Results

This is ridiculous. Grob was not HC material, period. Shafer made the mistake of hiring his buddy McDonald, who had zero experience calling plays as an OC. In fact, I think Shafe's main failing was hiring all his old pals instead of hiring the BEST staff he could find.