Odd aspect of yesterday's game | Syracusefan.com

Odd aspect of yesterday's game

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Elijah Hughes was amazing in the half, but basically stopped shooting after the airball at the end of the 1st half until he got an open slam towards the end of the game. Seemed like he was affected by the airball chants in the 2nd half.

Elijah Hughes was amazing in the half, but basically stopped shooting after the airball at the end of the 1st half until he got an open slam towards the end of the game. Seemed like he was affected by the airball chants in the 2nd half.
I was at the game and those chants did nothing. Elijah deferred quite a bit to Buddy given the hot hand, also they were way more aware of his location in the second half.

my 6 year old told me that they should have yelled more in the first half so they wouldn’t have gotten beaten so bad. So there you have expert analysis of the game from a 6 year old.

This could be my favorite line ever.

“I felt great and then the air ball chants from the 12 people in the crowd really threw me into a mental fetal position,” said Hughes. “I hope other fan bases don’t pick up on this.”
It was a pretty weak effort by the GT fans (students). Apparently, it's their thing. I saw one young fellow in the stands with a shirt emblazoned "Airball, Airball, Airball".

On the other hand, in the game down there about 3 seasons ago, Gillon tossed up an airball early, got the treatment, and proceeded to have probably his worst game of the year.

Last year it seemed like Eli had a tendency to have great first halves and fade in the second, the Duke win in Cameroon sticks out in my mind the most. Not saying that’s what happened but it’ll be interesting to see if it’s a trend or not.

airball airball is pretty bush league chanting. up there with pitcher has a rubber arm.

Last year it seemed like Eli had a tendency to have great first halves and fade in the second, the Duke win in Cameroon sticks out in my mind the most. Not saying that’s what happened but it’ll be interesting to see if it’s a trend or not.
Let's think about this ... Most players who score 26 in the first half "fade" in the second half. Right?

i would have like for eli to take a run at 40 points. i believe that's gene waldron's record. same breath i would say never lose your best player in a blowout. save the 40 for a close game.

Let's think about this ... Most players who score 26 in the first half "fade" in the second half. Right?
He went 6-9 in the first half and just 1-6 in the second half in the Duke game I mentioned and only took four shots in the second Saturday after taking 11 in the first. I understand that Jackson got hot and that plays into it but it’s just an observation.

I’ll do more research when there’s not a wegmans assorted and lobster bisque in front of me.

i would have like for eli to take a run at 40 points. i believe that's gene waldron's record. same breath i would say never lose your best player in a blowout. save the 40 for a close game.

For kicks and giggles:

Points Scored - Single Game - Syracuse University
47 Bill Smith vs. Lafayette 1/14/1971
46 Dave Bing vs. Vanderbilt 12/28/1965
45 Dave Bing vs. Colgate 2/16/1965
43 John Gillon at NC State 2/1/2017 (OT)
43 Gerry McNamara against BYU 3/18/2004 (NCAA)
43 Dave Bing vs. Buffalo 12/4/1965

For kicks and giggles:

1965 was a good year for Dave Bing.

For kicks and giggles:

you are correct sir . 40 is the orange dome record. shared by waldron and andrew white3.
(record is 41 by quincy "pass the dutchie" douby ). still like to see him break or tie the record this year.

Last edited:
The color guy was right it's pretty gutsy to be doing airball chants when your losing by 25.

In general, I think fans tend to overestimate how much they affect players on the court/field.
Captain J and I can assure you that the good energy that fans put out towards their team has a colossal impact on players. I myself have personally willed Bourama’s free throws to go in. Without me, his free throw shooting would be in the 10% range. You’re welcome.

airball airball is pretty bush league chanting. up there with pitcher has a rubber arm.

I never understood that chant. a pitcher having a rubber arm is a positive...meaning they can take the ball out of the pen almost every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom