Offense nugget from recruit | Syracusefan.com

Offense nugget from recruit

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Is this a nugget, I don’t know but thought it worth mentioning. From the new TE recruit:

**Dunkelberger spoke with offensive coordinator Tim Lester about the importance of mastering the playbook quickly once it's distributed in early January. The goal is for him to be able to move from a traditional tight end position, to split out in the slot and to the backfield, Dunkelberger said.

The staff hopes he'll be able to move around on a play-to-play basis, Dunkelberger said,which would allow them to substitute less frequently.

"They're looking to keep the same position on the field and just move people around," Dunkelberger said

Is this a nugget, I don’t know but thought it worth mentioning. From the new TE recruit:

**Dunkelberger spoke with offensive coordinator Tim Lester about the importance of mastering the playbook quickly once it's distributed in early January. The goal is for him to be able to move from a traditional tight end position, to split out in the slot and to the backfield, Dunkelberger said.

The staff hopes he'll be able to move around on a play-to-play basis, Dunkelberger said,which would allow them to substitute less frequently.

"They're looking to keep the same position on the field and just move people around," Dunkelberger said
i don't like it. (shocker)

other (better) offenses always line up their receivers in the same spot on the field. learn a few things and perfect them. practice faster.

other (better) offenses always line up their receivers in the same spot on the field. learn a few things and perfect them. practice faster.

I always like when an offense moves their best guys around - forcing the defense to account for them, creating mismatches, out-scheming a defense. If you run play one and on of your TE(s) lines up in his normal spot and you run a counter for 4 yards - get back up to the line and the defense is expecting more 12 personnel runs? Play two is when one of your TE's is now lined up in the slot, forcing the defense to account for them? Now you're running 11 personnel routes and plays without allowing a sub from the D.

I always like when an offense moves their best guys around - forcing the defense to account for them, creating mismatches, out-scheming a defense. If you run play one and on of your TE(s) lines up in his normal spot and you run a counter for 4 yards - get back up to the line and the defense is expecting more 12 personnel runs? Play two is when one of your TE's is now lined up in the slot, forcing the defense to account for them? Now you're running 11 personnel routes and plays without allowing a sub from the D.
you have to practice all that junk

I like when offenses move big-time playmakers around. Not sure how much moving you can do from the 12 personnel though? Is this kid the type of TE that is going to create problems by being in those different spots?

you have to practice all that junk
Yeah sounds like a page right out of the Deleone let's move people around so much that not only is the defense confused but so is the offense. Meh

Isn't that what this is saying, keeping the same kid on the field? Seems better to me if we’re moving away from a traditional TE and asking TE’s to be able to split out in the slot, or be able to move him back inside to run block rather than subbing a bunch of kids.

I like when offenses move big-time playmakers around. Not sure how much moving you can do from the 12 personnel though? Is this kid the type of TE that is going to create problems by being in those different spots?

I think that's the real question. Do we have a TE that can handle all of that? I hope Trey can - or that Custis eats his weight in carbs and gains 40-50lbs.

Yeah sounds like a page right out of the Deleone let's move people around so much that not only is the defense confused but so is the offense. Meh

Yeah Deleone was terrible, his offenses were never good.

This is suggesting we won't be running kids on and off the field based on the play call or package. It's suggestion the same kid (the TE/HBack) will be asked to split out wide or move inside and run block. To me that seems like a less confused offense and an offense that will move quicker.

Isn't that what this is saying, keeping the same kid on the field? Seems better to me if we’re moving away from a traditional TE and asking TE’s to be able to split out in the slot, or be able to move him back inside to run block rather than subbing a bunch of kids.
you don't need to sub in a bunch of kids if you don't have a million different formations and personnel groupings. think of the old colts offense. harrison always in the same spot, always on the field. (i know, manning, harrison and wayne.)

this stuff is music to the ears to a defensive coordinator - you get to practice against a million formations.

but i prefer more reps in simpler formations. we're going to take all these basketball players from NY and try to make them do 10 million different things and then we'll wonder why it takes them so long to develop

lots of reps doing the same thing over and over will develop players quicker.

Yep. That advantage is being able to switch to an entirely different set of plays by moving a guy 3 feet, without giving the defense a chance to sub. The routes and adjustments for everyone but the TE don't have to change that much.

Honestly, who cares where anyone lines up. If our QB(s) can't hit an open receiver/TE/RB in stride, its all for not anyway.

you don't need to sub in a bunch of kids if you don't have a million different formations and personnel groupings. think of the old colts offense. harrison always in the same spot, always on the field. (i know, manning, harrison and wayne.)

this stuff is music to the ears to a defensive coordinator - you get to practice against a million formations.

but i prefer more reps in simpler formations. we're going to take all these basketball players from NY and try to make them do 10 million different things and then we'll wonder why it takes them so long to develop

lots of reps doing the same thing over and over will develop players quicker.

I don't think you need to have a million. You have base plays in 3 sets. Practice them like crazy. You can then add-on looks and game plan specifically for the team you're playing.

I also don't know what basketball players your are referring to.

simplification and repetition would help in this regard

We tried that this year. We came at teams with a very vanilla offense late in the season, and failed to execute.

I'd much rather be moving people like Phillips or Estime, (even Ishmael if he's drawing the best cover corner) around the field instead of the TE, unless we've got one of the 10 TE's playing football who can beat any defensive player.

Nope, teams never use motion and formations to their advantage. Never happens.

We tried that this year. We came at teams with a very vanilla offense late in the season, and failed to execute.
i think it's pretty nuts to rule out simple offenses because a bunch of qbs stunk

Yep. That advantage is being able to switch to an entirely different set of plays by moving a guy 3 feet, without giving the defense a chance to sub. The routes and adjustments for everyone but the TE don't have to change that much.

Millhouse - stop being a meathead. Cusian is spot on here assuming we take advantage of miss matches where the D can't sub.

you used to be all in on the old Colts offense

And they used their tight ends to change up formations. Tight, split out in the slot, in motion in the backfield.

Sounds exactly what they want to do here.

Millhouse said:
presumes a lot about the versatility of our tight ends i'm sure defenses are just trembling thinking about what to do with when josh parris is split wide

How about when Dunkelberger or Custis are split out wide and they throw away from the flow to Parris running free down the opposite seam?

Yeah Deleone was terrible, his offenses were never good.

This is suggesting we won't be running kids on and off the field based on the play call or package. It's suggestion the same kid (the TE/HBack) will be asked to split out wide or move inside and run block. To me that seems like a less confused offense and an offense that will move quicker.

Let's just bring back the freeze option then shall we? While we're at it we can dust off the Veer, the Run and shoot, wishbone, and any other decades old offensive strategies you're so fond of from back in the day.