Jon Burton
Ivan Foy *Starter
Kyle Knapp
Jason Emerich **Potential Starter at center
Kendall Moore ??

Possible Incoming:
Roberts
Ward

I know there has been some concern about the number of linemen that are being recruited this year but at least on the OL, I don't see it as an issue. This is a plenty of scholarship O Linemen. The DL especially at the DT position I think is still an area of concern for sure. I hope they find some guys in the JUCO ranks behind Rodney if indeed he commits.

If we land Ward to go with Roberts, we are fine with OL numbers. That is because we were able to add six in the 2013 class (counting Moore who wants to play TE and likely will stay in the two-deep at TE in 2014).

Only lose Hickey among the probable starters -- so again, we have good OL numbers in 2015.

Wanting to land Ward not because of numbers but because he and Roberts look like probable 3 year starters.

The big question is how do raw recruits like Mcgloster and Burton develop.

Good question, I have faith in our OL coach he seems to be doing a fantastic job which gives me a good feeling with regard to our "raw" recruits. I hope we don't lose him.

It also seems that we are recruiting taller lankier tackles, McGloster 6'8", Burton 6'7", Ward 6'8".

Not so much lankier -- Burton is listed at 6 ft 6 and 317; and McGloster is also above 300 (but at 6ft 7, needing to add more muscle).

Should be able to tell in the Spring whether these big, raw prospects will be players.

On the flip side, we have prospects in Knapp & Emerich who have polish, but need to build up year over year.

Perles is a great coach. These projects are tall have big frames good feet and will put on muscle. Feet, smarts, frame , tall good combo

Ideal scenario. Burton and McGloster pack on muscle and provide solid depth/break into the starting rotation. PJ Batten is who the staff thought he was breaks into TE rotation and we can move Moore to the O-Line.

Moore was nice last year, but he and parris do not really fit the mold of the TE we are recruiting this year. It looks like we want more of the hybrid TEs that can cause matchups against opposing linebackers. We don't have much of a speed matchup with Moore.

Just to reiterate something established in another threads, from this time forward the offensive line as a unit shall be referred to as "The Dinobots."
So the actual position unit where "thickburger" might actually make sense...

So the actual position unit where "thickburger" might actually make sense...
Hickey - Thickburger
Trudo - Baconator
Emerich - Son of Baconator
Robinson - McDouble
Foy - The Whopper

Hickey - Thickburger
Trudo - Baconator
Emerich - Son of Baconator
Robinson - McDouble
Foy - The Whopper

Come on otto. Your better than that. Stick with the dinobots. I would vote to make Trudo Grimlock. He seems like a Grimlock to me.

It will be nice to have a COMPETITIVE two-deep at OL for the first time in pretty much forever.

I'm also a little more confident that Burton might eventually round into form as a serviceable RT than I am about McGloster. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I could really use your help propagating it actually. You up for it?

Not in the least.

Nicknames either happen or they don't, it has to be organic to work.

As soon as someone utters, "we need a nickname for..." stupidity is sure to follow.

Cannot wait to see how Jon Burton, Alex Hayes and Jamar McGloster pan out. Those are some big, big boys. I haven't heard anything.

Ideal scenario. Burton and McGloster pack on muscle and provide solid depth/break into the starting rotation. PJ Batten is who the staff thought he was breaks into TE rotation and we can move Moore to the O-Line.

Moore was nice last year, but he and parris do not really fit the mold of the TE we are recruiting this year. It looks like we want more of the hybrid TEs that can cause matchups against opposing linebackers. We don't have much of a speed matchup with Moore.

Don't see this happening. We typically have used both types of TE -- a blocking TE who can contribute as a receiver, and that hybrid TE you mentioned. Moore (and the RF Provo) fit the first mold. Batten the hybrid (along with Enoicy if he comes). Parris some of each. Don't see Moore moving to the bench in a back-up role in the OL after seeing time at TE as a true frosh (one of only 4 who contributed).

Hey all. I've been reading through this forum for a little while and am so excited to have found such a wealth of current info and interest, I couldn't help but chime in on this one.

I'm not sold on Emerich as the guy who emerges at center next year. I happened to meet him and Nick Robinson just before the Texas Bowl and he's a small kid...much smaller than a typical BCS center and way smaller than his listed measurables. I remember he subbed in for Mackey for a few snaps and I thought he displayed good quickness coming off the snap but he seemed physically outmatched and if I remember correctly he had one set out of the shotgun where he snapped the ball high and sent the ball over Hunt's head. I certainly won't maintain that a few reps like that define any player, I'm just not convinced that he or Shanley (other C listed on the roster) are viable options without massive leaps in development.

That said, I wanted to put the question out there as to how likely we see a significant shift on the O-line. I know Trudo played Center in high school as well as John Miller. I have no idea as to Miller's capabilities but it seems not out of the realm of possibilities to see Trudo shift to center and someone stepping in at guard or tackle on the right side depending on how the chips fall. I have to say, I think Trudo was a really important piece this past year and was really impressed with how he played. Foy seems more of a natural guard to me, but I know it's unlikely he moves back there unless someone comes in that is markedly better.

Don't see this happening. We typically have used both types of TE -- a blocking TE who can contribute as a receiver, and that hybrid TE you mentioned. Moore (and the RF Provo) fit the first mold. Batten the hybrid (along with Enoicy if he comes). Parris some of each. Don't see Moore moving to the bench in a back-up role in the OL after seeing time at TE as a true frosh (one of only 4 who contributed).

Get what you're saying, but I don't really think typical applies anymore. Provo is more likely going to play the role of what Clay Cleveland played. This staff (except the likes of Shafer) didn't really recruit Provo either. Moore came in knowing that there was a pretty good chance he would be moving to the line.

With Mcdonald's offense wanting to be spread out so much more, that typical TE we had to help with blocking isn't really needed anymore. It's the same reason why I believe Morris will be so much more effective in this offensive scheme. While as good as Jerome was, he wasn't the type of back McDonald wants to use. There's a big reason why we kept going into formations that showed 4 or 5 wide, diamond formations for the receivers, and spread packages. It was to show the recruits (Steve, Jamal, Erv, etc) what the offense is going to look like when they get the speed guys they want.

blizz -- I agree with you about Emerich (putting no weight on one bad snap), but I expect it will take some experimentation in the Spring to sort out who will play C.
I have always believed the coaches will look to find spots for the best 5, even if that means some shuffling. Foy did real well at R-OT and I don't see that changing.
So here is a guess -- Hickey, Lasker, Trudo, Robinson, Foy. Moving Trudo over gives us an ACC-sized line.

Get what you're saying, but I don't really think typical applies anymore. Provo is more likely going to play the role of what Clay Cleveland played. This staff (except the likes of Shafer) didn't really recruit Provo either. Moore came in knowing that there was a pretty good chance he would be moving to the line.

With Mcdonald's offense wanting to be spread out so much more, that typical TE we had to help with blocking isn't really needed anymore. It's the same reason why I believe Morris will be so much more effective in this offensive scheme. While as good as Jerome was, he wasn't the type of back McDonald wants to use. There's a big reason why we kept going into formations that showed 4 or 5 wide, diamond formations for the receivers, and spread packages. It was to show the recruits (Steve, Jamal, Erv, etc) what the offense is going to look like when they get the speed guys they want.

I agree about Provo's possible role as a blocking FB. As for the rest, we will see, but I don't buy your reasoning.

We went to those spread packages because McDonald wanted to win 6 games and make a bowl (not to showcase for any recruits). We ran Smith between the tackles for 900 yards (usually with a blocking TE) because you want that inside game to keep the defense honest.

It was this staff that gave Moore his chance at TE, and gave Parris the opportunities.