OFFICIAL: Chris McCullough has a torn ACL | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OFFICIAL: Chris McCullough has a torn ACL

Is it a certainty he'll be back? Wasn't Noel drafted even though he tore his Acl? Did he sit out a season with philly and now plays?

Halfmooncuse said:
Is it a certainty he'll be back? Wasn't Noel drafted even though he tore his Acl? Did he sit out a season with philly and now plays?

Noel was a without question lottery pick before he went down, McCullough wasn't even a lottery pick at the time he went down.

This may sound funny but hopefully he can use this to his benefit. Work on rehabbing his knee but other than that lounge around and put on 25 pounds. Then over the summer work to turn that mass into muscle. Explode on the scene next season. The hardest thing for kids to do is put no weight. Usually they are to active burn all the calories they intake. Inactivity will help that but obviously he has to work his knee/leg.

If he wasn't doing his school work which a lot of predetermined one and doners do then he may not have a choice or he better kick it into high gear.

I would think it would be hard to do, or not do something, that you could recover from with only one semester under his belt. He can load up this Spring now, if he chooses.

Is there any school associated with more BB injuries; our guys get hurt before they come, while they are here, and especially after they leave. I know it is BB, but we have to be way over the average.

Hopefully with all the rehab his knees will be much stronger than before and his knees will be more capable of handling the stresses of BB. It seems to me when you look at these kids they spend a lot time bulking up their upper bodies. I just wish they spent more time strenghtening their knees with weight training before the season.

I hope players like CJ Fair, Devo and other Cuse stars who have recovered from ACL injuries can gather round and help their teammate. Orange for life.

I thought Chris came over very well and likable in Donna's article today. He seems to have an upbeat attitude talking about how he can get's his boogie on anymore. That has to be difficult at any age, let alone his age, when you think you have your planned out for at least a few years and then it throws you a curve ball like this.

I thought Chris came over very well and likable in Donna's article today. He seems to have an upbeat attitude talking about how he can get's his boogie on anymore. That has to be difficult at any age, let alone his age, when you think you have your planned out for at least a few years and then it throws you a curve ball like this.
Yeah, I loved the boogie quote. Seems very positive about it and as you said, very likable young man.

Maybe our boy Frank Howard can give him some tips.

Is there any school associated with more BB injuries; our guys get hurt before they come, while they are here, and especially after they leave. I know it is BB, but we have to be way over the average.

I don't know how true that is. The last ACL injury was AO in 2008-2009 season. I think the injuries seem pretty average. I still think heavy lifting with the legs will strengthen ACLs and hopefully prevent injury. Plus the players will be faster and stronger. But it's just a theory. A lot of what determines injury is genetics and age. As they get older and bigger their knees get stressed in new ways with a heavier upper body. We have lots of injuries but BB is a very physical sport at the D1 level.

I don't know how true that is. The last ACL injury was AO in 2008-2009 season. I think the injuries seem pretty average. I still think heavy lifting with the legs will strengthen ACLs and hopefully prevent injury. Plus the players will be faster and stronger. But it's just a theory. A lot of what determines injury is as these guys is genetics and age. As they get older and bigger their knees get stressed in new ways with a heavier upper body. We have lots of injuries but BB is a very physical sport at the D1 level.
I remember reading an article on probasketballtalk I think last year talking about acl injuries. I was amazed to learn genetics does play a role and makes you more prone to certain injuries. It also gave some percentages of reinjuring the same knee again (can't remember the number). It also gave the probability of injuring the other knee following an acl injury. It was a good read.

I remember reading an article on probasketballtalk I think last year talking about acl injuries. I was amazed to learn genetics does play a role and makes you more prone to certain injuries. It also gave some percentages of reinjuring the same knee again (can't remember the number). It also gave the probability of injuring the other knee following an acl injury. It was a good read.

But as bad as an ACL is it's much better than what DC has. Meniscus type injuries never heal. And look what CJ Fair and Andy Rautins did for themselves after ACL injuries.

But as bad as an ACL is it's much better than what DC has. Meniscus type injuries never heal. And look what CJ Fair and Andy Rautins did for themselves after ACL injuries.
Iv been trying to find the article, but can't. My friend in HS tore his meniscus and played two weeks later and then college football. I thought colemans issue was more complicated than just a meniscus.

Didn't coleman have micro fracture surgery?

Eagles20 said:
Iv been trying to find the article, but can't. My friend in HS tore his meniscus and played two weeks later and then college football. I thought colemans issue was more complicated than just a meniscus. Didn't coleman have micro fracture surgery?

I thought he did but came across this and he didn't. He had an alternative to micro fracture surgery.

www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2014/11/syracuse_center_dajuan_coleman_says_hes_right_on_schedule_in_recovery_from_oats.html

Iv been trying to find the article, but can't. My friend in HS tore his meniscus and played two weeks later and then college football. I thought colemans issue was more complicated than just a meniscus.

Didn't coleman have micro fracture surgery?

It depends on the tear. The problem with the meniscus is everything is going well until you get bone on bone action which is extrutiating. Some people play around it. Also, the x-ray of my knees shows every year the bones get closer and closer together. It's amazing I can still walk.

Obviously a huge setback for CM, the team and the Syracuse fanbase. But, oftentimes when misfortune strikes and you look hard enough you can see opportunity which is brought about by misfortune. Life's greatest triumphs are often born on the heels of adversity and Chris and the team will have opportunities which arise from this.

First off, Chris will be in great hands medically especially once he gets to the point where he begins his rehab. Brad Pike head of sports medicine and Ryan Cabiles with strength and conditioning will provide an excellent rehab program for Chris. Looking back we can all remember how Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins both suffered the same injury and came back better than ever. Brandon Triche suffered a very bad ACL tear his soph. year of high school. CJ Fair also tore his ACL in high school.

As this season has unfolded to this point it became increasingly clear that although Chris is blessed with considerable size and ability he is going to need time to both work on his game and gain strength and a few pounds. It would seem that in light of the injury the chances that Chris returns for a 2nd season at Cuse are enhanced greatly. That will provide him with the opportunity to work out and gain strength while he rehabs his knee and also provide him with another year of maturity.

As some of the previous posters here have pointed out imagine having both Chris and DeJuan available to the team next year! Pretty scary for the opposition. In the short term however Chris's absence will likely provide opportunity for BJ Johnson. BJ's play has been as enigmatic as Chris's and perhaps more so but he is another kid who ostensibly is highly talented and waiting to burst onto the scene once he gets his confidence and gains a few lbs. No better time than now to take advantage of the opportunity created by the team and Chris's misfortune.

Perhaps most importantly though, is that Chris has successful surgery to repair his ACL and then finds the resolve to go about the business of his rehabilitation so he can resume his basketball career wherever the future may bring him. As fans I'm sure we'd all love to see Chris MacCullough return to the Orange healed and rarin' to go next season but we should all recall how like with Nerlins Noel, The NBA is always raiding the college talent despite an even worse injury to his leg during his freshman campaign.

I can only imagine all of the thoughts which are swirling around in Chris's head right now with his world having just be turned upside down. I'm sure he will get lots of support and encouragement from his teammates and fans like all of us who want what is best for Chris first and foremost. I'm hoping that he will have the ability to quickly overcome the grief and disappointment associated with such and injury and will soon be able to visualize himself healthy, happy and productive both on and off the basketball court.

imagine having both Chris and DeJuan available to the team next year
I imagine not having XMAS. Chris plus DeJuan does not = one XMAS.

Fortunately we've had a good history of Orangemen who've suffered knee injuries coming back and doing major damage. Andy Rautins, Devo, AO, CJ, et al.
Let's hope CMac makes a full recovery and comes back loaded for bear next season. We're gonna be beastly next year w/ everyone coming back!!!! Can't wait.

absolutely, sometime late next week should give enough time for the anti inflamms to work. The REAL good news is that it must be JUST the ACL as that pic of him on pg 2 shows no major bracing which means other than the ACL instability there's no gross instability that you worry about with the ACL, MCL and Meniscus tear through total blow out. Prognosis is so much better. So given what could have been and the fact he's obviously not it extreme pain his future remains bright.

Thank you, good doctor. Always appreciate the insights.

GO CMAC

Coleman had a cartilage injury and had an autologous cartilage transfer (oats procedure.). It's not the meniscus...and trends to be fine for larger defects than can be addressed by micro fracture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom