Class of 2020 - OG Micah Mazzccua (PA) Portal from Florida to Nebraska | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 OG Micah Mazzccua (PA) Portal from Florida to Nebraska

Bummer. We really need some good luck with our offensive line in the next few months.

Agreed.

Like the kid we pulled from Georgia as an upgrade. Not sure about the JUCO.

Whiffed on the Oklahoma / Florida transfers.

Even accounting for the incumbents on the OL having a reasonably decent nucleus [Cruz, Wohlabaugh, and Reed all have potential], I don't believe we've done enough [yet] to improve this positional unit.

Take it easy people, we still have lots of time, there will be a bunch of portals after spring ball, the Princeton kid, as Jim mentioned, is visiting and is very good. We aren’t going to win all these battles but we will win some and they will be better players than we have now

...and Mazzccua [who kind of materialized out of thin air for us] may have just been using us as leverage to ultimately get a bigger bag.
Makes sense, almost all of these guys have agents so I am sure they are out there looking for the highest bidder and doing what they need to on that end. All part of the game at this point.

I am sure they will regroup and find some guys. Pretty evident that these guys don't like to lose in anything when it comes to the job of coaching college football. Fran has made it clear that he likes to compete in all aspsects.

Mazzccua is probably a P4 starter at any school in the country as well, so he had plenty of options

Personally I know nil is a factor but I do not want a kid just coming for the money. Want the player to have a real desire to be at the school.
I think the best you can hope for is a real desire to play for the coach if NIL is in the ballpark.

Miller is a solid add.

Dave W should be ready by the start of the year. We’ll see what More brings in the spring. Same with Moeolo as far as I know he was hurt this year. Kid is huge, 6-6 360 have no idea if he can play. Ellis is possible. That’s like adding 4 upperclassmen transfers to the roster.

Mack and Bass are both 6-6 300 plus, I have no idea what they bring to the table. Just because they didn’t make a Bergeron impact as true freshman doesn’t mean they can’t play.

Do you want known quantities, sure, but one thing is that SU shouldn’t be forced to put undersized guys out there next year.

Miller is a solid add.

Dave W should be ready by the start of the year. We’ll see what More brings in the spring. Same with Moeolo as far as I know he was hurt this year. Kid is huge, 6-6 360 have no idea if he can play. Ellis is possible. That’s like adding 4 upperclassmen transfers to the roster.

Mack and Bass are both 6-6 300 plus, I have no idea what they bring to the table. Just because they didn’t make a Bergeron impact as true freshman doesn’t mean they can’t play.

Do you want known quantities, sure, but one thing is that SU shouldn’t be forced to put undersized guys out there next year.
Mark Petry is coming back for a 5th year so he seems to be in the plans of the staff. More publicly mentioned coming back for his 7th year so he seems to be in the plans as well.

I would just like to see a couple more starter quality portal guys brought in because it will make the competition in the Spring really fun to watch and we'll end up with a pretty strong 2 deep because of it. So hopefully they land the Princeton transfer Travis and then we'll see who else pops up.

Mark Petry is coming back for a 5th year so he seems to be in the plans of the staff. More publicly mentioned coming back for his 7th year so he seems to be in the plans as well.

I would just like to see a couple more starter quality portal guys brought in because it will make the competition in the Spring really fun to watch and we'll end up with a pretty strong 2 deep because of it. So hopefully they land the Princeton transfer Travis and then we'll see who else pops up.
Especially at OT. I think Mazzccua would have been a luxury that you absolutely take if you can get but we need OT help more than interior OL imo.

This
That's exactly what happened, didn't want to be bearer of bad news but he was never coming here, was looking for major $$$$.
This is what scares me when we say we want a National Championship. It costs a lot of money. We may not really have that money and in todays world that meens no naty. I get it and understand but why bring it up if we are getting outbid constantly. Make the playoffs and i get it.

This

This is what scares me when we say we want a National Championship. It costs a lot of money. We may not really have that money and in todays world that meens no naty. I get it and understand but why bring it up if we are getting outbid constantly. Make the playoffs and i get it.
Come on, your a better poster than this

We started off the whole first month batting 80% for 4* recruits and transfers battling multiple top SEC and B1G programs

Not to mention we reeled in arguably the single biggest land in the offseason with a top 5-10 senior QB from an elite 11-1 school

We are never going to win them all, neither does any top 10-20 school.

Also when we don’t land a player it could be for a multitude of reasons, including our own priorities and preferences

Lastly, I don’t think we want the kids looking for the biggest bag. We want a kid who, sure wants a fair bag, but also sees the other benefits, like Kyle did. I am sure he could have got more money elsewhere but I am also sure we weren’t multiples away in the number he got from us. A fair, but not top, offer plus all of the other selling points will resonate with plenty of top athletes.

Your a great poster so please don’t take this the wrong way but we can’t default into our woe as me feeling just cause we are on a short losing streak, the cause of which we don’t even know (not to mention we don’t know who the likely capable replacement willl be)

Last edited:
Employees leverage one company against the other for the best deal. The expectation of some people that college athletes should not maximize their financial benefits is paternalistic bordering on exploitative.
I despise it when people do that in business as well.