Ok, here's the truth about "THE ZONE" | Syracusefan.com

Ok, here's the truth about "THE ZONE"

Flacusian

All Conference
I think it's very safe to say that most of us did not foresee this team making a run in the tournament and even the most optimistic among us were saying that making it to the sweet 16 would constitute a good season for this group of kids and elite 8 talk was pretty much reserved for those who needed to have their medication adjusted.

That having been said, throughout the season we all are accustomed to the perennial voices that are forever making the argument that playing the zone exclusively and recruiting a prototypical type of players that are best suited to play the "JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" is outdated, ineffective, and has been figured out by a few select teams which we play on a regular basis. I do make a distinction of "THE JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" because nobody, repeat, nobody else plays a zone and is as committed to it's exclusive implementation as the core philosophy of the team like Syracuse, under the coaching acumen of HOF'er James Arthur Boeheim.

It's also a given that it can be extremely frustrating when we play teams that most think we should be able to beat but they seemingly have our number (see Pitt and Louisville ). When things aren't going well some chirp in that we should be recruiting some different type of players rather than ones who are selected on the basis of their suitability to play the Boeheim Zone. I get that but at the same time there are a few things that really need to be mentioned and recognized. And besides, if losing to Pitt 3 times is the price we pay for utilizing those 3 losses to hone and improve the manner in which we play the zone toward the end of being able to play better when IT REALLY COUNTS FOR SOMETHING (see NCAA dance) isn't it just more of an inconvenience rather than a big problem?

1. The fact that Syracuse utilizes the "Jim Boeheim Zone" sets us apart from the other 350+ division 1 programs in the nation. We are recognized for it and Syracuse Orange and Zone Defense have all but become synonymous.

2. The "Jim Boeheim Zone" while it is a 2-3 zone defense actually exhibits many characteristics that are UN-zone like. The zone is so active and the complexity of the assignments of each individual defensive position player can make the zone, when played aggressively and in the manner that Coach B intends for it to be played, so incredibly disruptive and effective in rendering opposing teams unable to execute their offense and get shots.

3. The JB ZONE is an especially dangerous and effective strategy when played against teams in a tournament setting or when the teams do not have prior experience playing against it. It can be particularly difficult in that in a tournament scenario teams often have very little time to prepare for their next opponent much less one with a defense that can seem like a constantly shifting amorphous Juggernaut comprised of long arms and legs moving about in a confusing blur while creating an impenetrable obstacle.

4. The JB ZONE can give some modicum of relief to a team which does not have a lot of depth in that it is easier to conserve energy playing zone rather than M2M and especially if you are pressing.

5. When all seems lost the JB ZONE prescribes, at the right moment, a "Trunk Monkey" like press which can be such a shock to the opposition that you can pretty much count on several turnovers, steals, and if nothing else, the look of complete panic in the eyes of the opposing team when after dealing with the JB ZONE for nearly the entire game they now have THIS!@%#$&@! to deal with. It can be very effective ( see Virginia Game)

6. And perhaps the most important point I'd like to make is this. Without the JB ZONE. this team never so much as even sniffs the most remote dream of making the final 4 this year. IT IS BECAUSE OF JB'S STUBBORN AND GENIUS UNYIELDING AND UNWAVERING COMMITMENT TO THE ZONE THAT WE ARE IN THIS FINAL 4.

7. I won't be real surprised at this point if we pull off a win against NC. And after we have beaten them. Who ever we play in the championship game...they might as well forget about it because it's looking like this is a team of destiny and they are just rounding into top form playing "THE JIM BOEHEIM ZONE"

BTW... I love this team and I LOVE THE ZONE!~

Last edited:
I love the zone myself, I think the way we adjust within it, the way we play it, the way the players are able to react inside of it is a tool that can disrupt other talented teams when we face them.

While it looks like a 2-3 zone it's really not, a true 2-3 zone does not have the wings going up the sideline to about the three point line playing defense, it doesn't use traps like we do, it is not as fast moving as our variation. I've posted videos of Tarks amoeba defense before and it looks crazy similar to what JB has mastered and used for awhile.

This is a pretty cool overview of the amoeba defense, tell me what we play, this or a 2-3 zone.

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/AmoebaDefense.html

All of that said, I do wish we had man in our back pocket for certain situations. I'm not even asking for 10% of the time, but just as needed.

(fyi, I don't need medication and had Cuse in the Elite 8)

I think it's very safe to say that most of us did not foresee this team making a run in the tournament and even the most optimistic among us were saying that making it to the sweet 16 would constitute a good season for this group of kids and elite 8 talk was pretty much reserved for those who needed to have their medication adjusted.

That having been said, throughout the season we all are accustomed to the perennial voices that are forever making the argument that playing the zone exclusively and recruiting a prototypical type of players that are best suited to play the "JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" is outdated, ineffective, and has been figured out by a few select teams which we play on a regular basis. I do make a distinction of "THE JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" because nobody, repeat, nobody else plays a zone and is as committed to it's exclusive implementation as the core philosophy of the team like Syracuse, under the coaching acumen of HOF'er James Arthur Boeheim.

It's also a given that it can be extremely frustrating when we play teams that most think we should be able to beat but they seemingly have our number (see Pitt and Louisville ). When things aren't going well some chirp in that we should be recruiting some different type of players rather than ones who are selected on the basis of their suitability to play the Boeheim Zone. I get that but at the same time there are a few things that really need to be mentioned and recognized. And besides, if losing to Pitt 3 times is the price we pay for utilizing those 3 losses to hone and improve the manner in which we play the zone toward the end of being able to play better when IT REALLY COUNTS FOR SOMETHING (see NCAA dance) isn't it just more of an inconvenience than a big problem?

1. The fact that Syracuse utilizes the "Jim Boeheim Zone" sets us apart from the other 350+ division 1 programs in the nation. We are recognized for it and Syracuse Orange and Zone Defense have all but become synonymous.

2. The "Jim Boeheim Zone" while it is a 2-3 zone defense actually exhibits many characteristics that are UN-zone like. The zone is so active and the complexity of the assignments of each individual defensive position player can make the zone, when played aggressively and in the manner that Coach B intends for it to be played, so incredibly disruptive and effective in rendering opposing teams unable to execute their offense and get shots.

3. The JB ZONE is an especially dangerous and effective strategy when played against teams in a tournament setting or when the teams do not have prior experience playing against it. It can be particularly difficult in that in a tournament scenario teams often have very little time to prepare for their next opponent much less one with a defense that can seem like a constantly shifting amorphous Juggernaut comprised of long arms and legs moving about in a confusing blur while creating an impenetrable obstacle.

4. The JB ZONE can give some modicum of relief to a team which does not have a lot of depth in that it is easier to conserve energy playing zone rather than M2M and especially if you are pressing.

5. When all seems lost the JB ZONE prescribes, at the right moment, a "Trunk Monkey" like press which can be such a shock to the opposition that you can pretty much count on several turnovers, steals, and if nothing else, the look of complete panic in the eyes of the opposing team when after dealing with the JB ZONE for nearly the entire game they now have THIS!@%#$&@! to deal with. It can be very effective ( see Virginia Game)

6. And perhaps the most important point I'd like to make is this. Without the JB ZONE. this team never so much as even sniffs the most remote dream of making the final 4 this year. IT IS BECAUSE OF JB'S STUBBORN AND GENIUS UNYIELDING AND UNWAVERING COMMITMENT TO THE ZONE THAT WE ARE IN THIS FINAL 4.

7. I won't be real surprised at this point if we pull off a win against NC. And after we have beaten them. Who ever we play in the championship game...they might as well forget about it because it's looking like this is a team of destiny and they are just rounding into top form playing "THE JIM BOEHEIM ZONE"

Great post. You are so right that I think every Cuse fan expects us to win Saturday night. UNC knows the zone but when it is clicking 100%, I don't think that anyone can successfully "beat" the zone. We all know about the cutting lanes and getting behind whomever is playing the five, and running the to foul line to receive a pass, but no one beats us consistently doing this. Now that UNC has had a few days to really dissect our film, it will help them, but i am also sure they are trying to figure out the "new" Syracuse offense as well. I'm hoping we don't start slow, but I think our guys will be ready for whatever adjustments need to be made at halftime. As long as the zebras are ok, we should be ok.

If we're being honest, we were behind both Gonzaga (five points) with three minutes left and Virginia (double digits) with under eight minutes left in the game while playing zone. I wouldn't say our zone was the difference based on that. Our press changed both games. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say the ability to play a hybrid of zone and press helped us to our last two victories. The OP suggests that our press is effective because of our zone. I would argue our zone would be more effective if we pressed more. Our offense would, too.

I admire Coach Boeheim as much as anyone, and I like our zone. However, let's keep in mind that 11 of the last 12 national champions (Louisville might be the exception) have played some version of man-to-man as their main defense, and several of them employed pressure. Some utilized man, zone, and press.

Maybe playing zone exclusively (or any specific defensive scheme) isn't really the key to success. Good players that execute their responsibilities matter, too. Oh, and a little luck along the way doesn't hurt.

If we're being honest, we were behind both Gonzaga (five points) with three minutes left and Virginia (double digits) with under eight minutes left in the game while playing zone. I wouldn't say our zone was the difference based on that. Our press changed both games. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say the ability to play a hybrid of zone and press helped us to our last two victories. The OP suggests that our press is effective because of our zone. I would argue our zone would be more effective if we pressed more. Our offense would, too.

I admire Coach Boeheim as much as anyone, and I like our zone. However, let's keep in mind that 11 of the last 12 national champions (Louisville might be the exception) have played some version of man-to-man as their main defense, and several of them employed pressure. Some utilized man, zone, and press.

Maybe playing zone exclusively (or any specific defensive scheme) isn't really the key to success. Good players that execute their responsibilities matter, too. Oh, and a little luck along the way doesn't hurt.
Our offense put us behind. Our defense kept us in position to win

The zone lulls the opponent into relaxstion and comfort... and then Bam! we slap on the press. It's the ultimate sucker punch. If Bennett scouted properly he would have instructed his team to keep the lead in single digits to avoid waking the monkey.

Flacusian said:
I think it's very safe to say that most of us did not foresee this team making a run in the tournament and even the most optimistic among us were saying that making it to the sweet 16 would constitute a good season for this group of kids and elite 8 talk was pretty much reserved for those who needed to have their medication adjusted. That having been said, throughout the season we all are accustomed to the perennial voices that are forever making the argument that playing the zone exclusively and recruiting a prototypical type of players that are best suited to play the "JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" is outdated, ineffective, and has been figured out by a few select teams which we play on a regular basis. I do make a distinction of "THE JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" because nobody, repeat, nobody else plays a zone and is as committed to it's exclusive implementation as the core philosophy of the team like Syracuse, under the coaching acumen of HOF'er James Arthur Boeheim. It's also a given that it can be extremely frustrating when we play teams that most think we should be able to beat but they seemingly have our number (see Pitt and Louisville ). When things aren't going well some chirp in that we should be recruiting some different type of players rather than ones who are selected on the basis of their suitability to play the Boeheim Zone. I get that but at the same time there are a few things that really need to be mentioned and recognized. And besides, if losing to Pitt 3 times is the price we pay for utilizing those 3 losses to hone and improve the manner in which we play the zone toward the end of being able to play better when IT REALLY COUNTS FOR SOMETHING (see NCAA dance) isn't it just more of an inconvenience rather than a big problem? 1. The fact that Syracuse utilizes the "Jim Boeheim Zone" sets us apart from the other 350+ division 1 programs in the nation. We are recognized for it and Syracuse Orange and Zone Defense have all but become synonymous. 2. The "Jim Boeheim Zone" while it is a 2-3 zone defense actually exhibits many characteristics that are UN-zone like. The zone is so active and the complexity of the assignments of each individual defensive position player can make the zone, when played aggressively and in the manner that Coach B intends for it to be played, so incredibly disruptive and effective in rendering opposing teams unable to execute their offense and get shots. 3. The JB ZONE is an especially dangerous and effective strategy when played against teams in a tournament setting or when the teams do not have prior experience playing against it. It can be particularly difficult in that in a tournament scenario teams often have very little time to prepare for their next opponent much less one with a defense that can seem like a constantly shifting amorphous Juggernaut comprised of long arms and legs moving about in a confusing blur while creating an impenetrable obstacle. 4. The JB ZONE can give some modicum of relief to a team which does not have a lot of depth in that it is easier to conserve energy playing zone rather than M2M and especially if you are pressing. 5. When all seems lost the JB ZONE prescribes, at the right moment, a "Trunk Monkey" like press which can be such a shock to the opposition that you can pretty much count on several turnovers, steals, and if nothing else, the look of complete panic in the eyes of the opposing team when after dealing with the JB ZONE for nearly the entire game they now have THIS!@%#$&@! to deal with. It can be very effective ( see Virginia Game) 6. And perhaps the most important point I'd like to make is this. Without the JB ZONE. this team never so much as even sniffs the most remote dream of making the final 4 this year. IT IS BECAUSE OF JB'S STUBBORN AND GENIUS UNYIELDING AND UNWAVERING COMMITMENT TO THE ZONE THAT WE ARE IN THIS FINAL 4. 7. I won't be real surprised at this point if we pull off a win against NC. And after we have beaten them. Who ever we play in the championship game...they might as well forget about it because it's looking like this is a team of destiny and they are just rounding into top form playing "THE JIM BOEHEIM ZONE" BTW... I love this team and I LOVE THE ZONE!~

Did you hear Lappas on Sirius radio today?

It's also a given that it can be extremely frustrating when we play teams that most think we should be able to beat but they seemingly have our number (see Pitt and Louisville ). When things aren't going well some chirp in that we should be recruiting some different type of players rather than ones who are selected on the basis of their suitability to play the Boeheim Zone. I get that but at the same time there are a few things that really need to be mentioned and recognized. And besides, if losing to Pitt 3 times is the price we pay for utilizing those 3 losses to hone and improve the manner in which we play the zone toward the end of being able to play better when IT REALLY COUNTS FOR SOMETHING (see NCAA dance) isn't it just more of an inconvenience rather than a big problem?

This post is so outstanding in its wisdom that I have unblocked Igor temporarily to see if he will have the guts to respond.

This post is so outstanding in its wisdom that I have unblocked Igor temporarily to see if he will have the guts to respond.

I think it might be ok if you leave Igor unblocked. You don't seem to be the type to support censorship. It's not like the guy posts that much anymore anyhow, unfortunately!

I think it might be ok if you leave Igor unblocked. You don't seem to be the type to support censorship. It's not like the guy posts that much anymore anyhow, unfortunately!
Well technically I'm not censoring HIM, I'm just ignoring him. There's a difference. I go back to the AOL board with Igor, and am basically just tired of his act. YMMV.

Great post. The thing I would add is that the zone has been a key to generating fast break points on offense, too. He has refined it to an art. The one thing that this team needs, though, is a guy like Baye Keita to come in there and give us some extra interior defense. If we had that, I would feel somewhat more optimistic about our chances on Saturday night against a very good Carolina team - one that won't be surprised by our defense.

Well technically I'm not censoring HIM, I'm just ignoring him. There's a difference. I go back to the AOL board with Igor, and am basically just tired of his act. YMMV.

I cant tell you what to like or what not to like, and it's clear youve known him for far longer than myself, but everyone is capable of change and you couldn't witness it if he's on ignore! That's just my perspective. Igor is probably less of a contrarian these days than myself, sadly. I'd actually like to give back, and inspire him some!

Great post. You are so right that I think every Cuse fan expects us to win Saturday night. UNC knows the zone but when it is clicking 100%, I don't think that anyone can successfully "beat" the zone. We all know about the cutting lanes and getting behind whomever is playing the five, and running the to foul line to receive a pass, but no one beats us consistently doing this. Now that UNC has had a few days to really dissect our film, it will help them, but i am also sure they are trying to figure out the "new" Syracuse offense as well. I'm hoping we don't start slow, but I think our guys will be ready for whatever adjustments need to be made at halftime. As long as the zebras are ok, we should be ok.

We have to shoot like we did in the Bahamas. I don't see us holding Carolina - who is scoring close to 90 points a game - under 70. So we are going to need at least 75 points or so to win this game. We can't have a leading scorer who goes 8 for 24. We need 3 guys to make at least two three-pointers, and we need to drive and get to the foul line.

We have to shoot like we did in the Bahamas. I don't see us holding Carolina - who is scoring close to 90 points a game - under 70. So we are going to need at least 75 points or so to win this game. We can't have a leading scorer who goes 8 for 24. We need 3 guys to make at least two three-pointers, and we need to drive and get to the foul line.
The last statement means we need the zebras to be fair. And of course make our FTs.

Well the good news is we just put up 68 vs Virginia who runs one of the slowest tempos in the game.

Every team we've played in the tournament has scored at least 20 points less than they did in their previous game.

Yep, especially the latter.

The last statement means we need the zebras to be fair. And of course make our FTs.
Amen on making free throws. Syracuse has done a good job in this area of their game over the last two wins. Makes a HUGE difference in a two or three point game.

Amen on making free throws. Syracuse has done a good job in this area of their game over the last two wins. Makes a HUGE difference in a two or three point game.

Dayton : won by 19. 20 for 23 at the line
MTSU: won by 25. 13 for 22
Gonzaga: won by 3. 14 for 16
UVa: won by 6. 20 for 25

That is 67 for 86 78%

Total margin of victory for 4 games is 53 points.

Makes a huge difference in all the games this tourn.

For the most part they've done better than average for the season. Some bad games but probably overall a higher % than usual. Coleman really worked on it when he was rehabbing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom