Ok, here's the truth about "THE ZONE" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ok, here's the truth about "THE ZONE"

Did you hear Lappas on Sirius radio today?
No I did not and after reading your post I went hunting for it. All the Lappas material I could find was dated. What was it he stated? Now you have my curiosity piqued.

Flacusian said:
No I did not and after reading your post I went hunting for it. All the Lappas material I could find was dated. What was it he stated? Now you have my curiosity piqued.

He and the host talked about SU for about 10 minutes and has nothing but good things to say about SU and JB. Lappas kept saying that other teams aren't as effective playing zone because it is JIM BOEHEIMS zone.

Coach Orange said:
If we're being honest, we were behind both Gonzaga (five points) with three minutes left and Virginia (double digits) with under eight minutes left in the game while playing zone. I wouldn't say our zone was the difference based on that. Our press changed both games. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say the ability to play a hybrid of zone and press helped us to our last two victories. The OP suggests that our press is effective because of our zone. I would argue our zone would be more effective if we pressed more. Our offense would, too. I admire Coach Boeheim as much as anyone, and I like our zone. However, let's keep in mind that 11 of the last 12 national champions (Louisville might be the exception) have played some version of man-to-man as their main defense, and several of them employed pressure. Some utilized man, zone, and press. Maybe playing zone exclusively (or any specific defensive scheme) isn't really the key to success. Good players that execute their responsibilities matter, too. Oh, and a little luck along the way doesn't hurt.

We've held all of our tourney opponents to a good % lower than what they are used to, made them prepare for a defense they don't play very often, and haven't played a solid full game on offense yet.

The zone is doing its job. We need to be better on O. The press does do the things you suggest, but our regular D has been pretty good.

He and the host talked about SU for about 10 minutes and has nothing but good things to say about SU and JB. Lappas kept saying that other teams aren't as effective playing zone because it is JIM BOEHEIMS zone.
Strictly a co inky dink. If you ponder over "The Zone" it really becomes abundantly apparent that this animal of JB's is an outlier in the extreme. It's really amazing that he has developed this defense by stretching the capabilities of what it's normal characteristics are and he has in effect cultivated something which is having a significant impact on not just our program, but the strategies and tactics of playing the game of college basketball.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that what he has done will continue to influence the way the game is played long after he walks off of Jim Boeheim Court. They may have been able to take some wins away from him but in the sense of what he has contributed to the game of Basketball his legacy will be enduring for as long as the game is played IMHO. And whether someone likes him or dislikes him for whatever reason, any fair and pragmatic person who has the ability to keep principles over personalities would be hard pressed to make a case that he hasn't contributed greatly to the game of basketball and especially the Zone Defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom